Forum Index > Trip Reports > Stafford Creek Lookout Site-Point 5692-Bean Creek Trail Loop
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostWed Apr 05, 2023 10:04 am 
Fun Trip! Credits to, Roger Gervin for information found here, https://rgervin.com/photos2015/20150326StaffordLookout/thumb.html And to Greg Henriksen, for giving me the idea with his last years trip report on WTA
Got a late start, leaving Twenty-Nine Pines at Noon. Walked the North Fork Rd. to the Stafford Creek Rd
Here I made a B-line for the base of the Stafford Lookout Ridge.
Always exciting to come across tracks of a local!
Pretty straight forward traveling with light brush at the most. In no time you're traveling up the well defined ridge.
You know you're nearing the Lookout site when you start coming across broken beer bottles. From the Lookout you'll get a good view of the ridge beyond.
Traveling along the ridge is wonderful, and a bit of snow made things easier.
Before long the snow filled in and I spent the rest of the trip on snow.
This is one of a handful of good campsites.
I wanted to get a bit higher.
Found a nice spot tucked out of the wind, but it still had a fair view. (and a great kitchen stump!)
It was a chilly night, but I slept toasty in my new bag! Woke up to realize I spaced my coffee, so settled for two cups of hot water and a couple Pop Tarts, broke camp, and started truck'n!
More nice traveling in variable snow conditions. Changed back and forth between crampons and snowshoes a couple times throughout the day. Encountered steep snow with long runouts as I made my way up to Point 5692. A second tool may have been nice.
After tagging Point 5694 I chose my route down to Bean Creek. Turned out to be a good line for the days conditions. A bit steep near the bottom, but not bad at all! After crossing Bean Creek, I picked up the trail and started cruising back to the road.
It was a long road walk back to the truck, but it was quiet and beautiful, and even with a heavy pack time passed quickly enough. The End Also, sorry about the dark photos. Google photos seemed to auto correct them, and I struggled to change them back. Cheers B

Fedor, silence, Bramble_Scramble, runup, HitTheTrail, JimK, jaysway, fourteen410, Bootpathguy  SpookyKite89  The Ghost of Bear 380, zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Apr 05, 2023 10:21 am 
Sweet loop!

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want

Now I Fly
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Apr 05, 2023 12:36 pm 
Nice trip. It reminds me of when Jim Kuresman used to post an overnight trip to Teanaway's Iron Peak about this time every spring. Maybe he still does that?

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

JimK, Now I Fly
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed Apr 05, 2023 1:43 pm 
When did you do this trip? Was there much snow heading up to the lookout via the south ridge? From your photos it looks like there was a lot of bare ground.

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostWed Apr 05, 2023 2:13 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
When did you do this trip?
Monday 4/3 & Tuesday 4/4 (yesterday). Snow on the valley floor, but the ridge scramble is mainly snow free to the Lookout site. B

fourteen410
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostThu Apr 06, 2023 8:22 am 
Nice! I was on that trip with Roger. smile.gif

'we don't have time for a shortcut'

Now I Fly
BarbE

BarbE
PostThu Apr 06, 2023 8:45 am 
No morning coffee? 🥹 Bet that won’t happen again! 😀 On the same Roger Gervin trip we discussed the possibility of a ridge run to Earl peak with cars on both ends. Something to consider.

Now I Fly