Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Best website for dog adoptions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostFri Mar 31, 2023 7:28 am 
Just wondering what pet adoption website people have used to adopt a dog? Do you go to the national websites such as Petfinder or are you looking at breed specific rescue organizations?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostFri Mar 31, 2023 8:23 am 
We only have experience with adopting one dog (Kimtah), so take that for what it's worth. Jasper kind of fell into our laps (well, not literally, although he was much smaller as a puppy). It took almost a year after Jasper died for us to think about bringing another dog into our lives. I started out by perusing the local shelter/adoption sites that I knew about, including Seattle Humane, Homeward Pet and Lynnwood Paws. I know there are others, but I don't recall looking too much at organizations other than those. This was in mid to late spring, 2020, during the early days of the pandemic when there was a huge demand for dogs and cats. As a result, any dog that piqued our interest had a fairly long waiting list (100 or more people). I then created a Petfinder account and filtered by age, breed type/mix and location. After finding Kimtah (formerly Merlot), I did have email exchanges with the shelter and rescue organization in San Antonio. She was already scheduled to be transported to Olympia for fostering, so that's why she showed up as 'local' even though she was physically in Texas. I follow Seattle Humane, Homeward Pet, Old Dog Haven and a couple others on Instagram, so I do see all kinds of dogs pop up for adoption. I don't think we're ready to be a multiple dog home yet though. Is this the dog that you're currently fostering? wub.gif

Knows literally nothing

Cyclopath
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostFri Mar 31, 2023 10:19 am 
GeoTom, very interesting about the Pandemic demand. Unfortunately now dogs are being dumped at shelters in unprecedented numbers. It’s worse than it’s ever been. Especially in CA and TX. Yes I am fostering this dog. I usually do shepherds so this is the second husky. The first one was adopted after a couple of weeks but I got no interest from Petfinder. That dog, which was perfect and stunningly beautiful, was adopted because I mentioned in a WHC post that he was my foster dog . So I don’t know whether the lack of current interest is due to the breed or not posting where people go to look, currently Petfinder and RescueMe. Do people use Adopt a Pet? Petharbor?

Cyclopath
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 31, 2023 10:44 am 
I'm a cat person so I have no useful input. Still want to say thanks for fostering they doggo! What a profound difference you're making in its life. smile.gif up.gif

Roly Poly
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostSat Apr 01, 2023 7:16 pm 
My pup was from NWBoxerRescue. Petfinder was the main site I looked at although I also just googled other rescue orgs or Humane Society since I knew I wanted a boxer. Worked out well. smile.gif

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Apr 04, 2023 8:54 am 
I've been a very active shelter volunteer (including running a foster program) for 15 years. I've not seen research/numbers on which site potential adopters are most likely to look at but we get a lot of people saying they saw the dog on Petfinder, even though we officially use Petango. Large breeds have just gotten tough to adopt out. In Seattle I'd expect to have a husky (without any particular behavior issues) 4-6 months. I can't say that huskies in particular, or GSDs for that matter, have ever been particularly easy here, but probably the biggest change I've seen in 15 years is how much harder it's become to adopt out large dogs. There are more people, especially younger people, living in smaller spaces and without yards. Property managers/landlords often place size or weight limits on animals, plus, huskies are one of the breeds that insurance companies often disallow, so even if you are renting a house and your landlord allows large dogs, you might not get to have a husky (or Chow Chow, or Pittie...). The one thing that can make a big dog golden in the eyes of an adopter is solid dog skills. If that large dog loves other dogs, plays well, can go to the dog park...that's the thing in my experience that will get him adopted more quickly. So if your dog can, publicize that, post photos of him playing with another dog, etc. Btw we used to think that people were dumping dogs in big numbers but like so many other shelters when we ran the numbers we found intakes weren't that high. It's that people weren't adopting--and in particular adopting large dogs--as quickly. Cats are doing okay, small dogs go like hotcakes, even if they bite or have health issues. I wonder if the sheer amount of choice has something to do with it. There are so many rescue groups transferring dogs from TX/the south. Sending semi-trucks full of animals to the PNW, New England, etc. Or even bringing them from Asia. Plus yes so many people got dogs during the pandemic. We literally emptied the shelter in 2020.

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostTue Apr 04, 2023 7:35 pm 
So sorry to hear that. Thank you for taking care of him.

camut

camut
PostWed Apr 05, 2023 8:11 am 
My sincerest condolences to you. This is truly heartbreaking. I hope you can find some peace with it in knowing that you were there for him when he needed you and that he did not have to go through this in a shelter someplace. Thank you for all you do for the dogs.