Forum Index > Gear Talk > Leatherman or SAK
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
yetch
pass on the right

yetch
pass on the right
PostThu Jun 01, 2023 2:48 pm 
Heyy, I’ve been doing some looking around lately for a good multitool (I lost my Swiss Army knife last year and still haven’t found it). I’ve finally narrowed things down to another SAK (probably the three-function, just based on weight) or a Leatherman Squirt. Since they’re both pretty common tools, does anyone have any recommendations? (Weight isn’t a massive concern for me, especially since I’ve already narrowed it down to those.) Thank you!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Jun 01, 2023 5:28 pm 
Have you looked over your pack, etc to see which tool you might use. For day walking I just go with Buck 301 in my pocket. Cut an onion or tomatoe etc. In my pack a Buck 110 in event I ever need a real knife.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Jun 02, 2023 10:54 am 
Not a lot to go on, but this one works for me (although not a blade you'd use to cut an onion, etc) and only weighs 3/4 of an ounce. https://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Army-Classic-Knife-Box/dp/B01LYR45YE

InFlight, Slugman, yetch
yetch
pass on the right

yetch
pass on the right
PostFri Jun 02, 2023 1:15 pm 
Thank you! Might end up going with this and then a larger, light knife as well for food.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Jun 02, 2023 11:05 pm 
You need to be able get it done with a knife. Decent knife should get it done. Fact, you can't get it done with a decent knife yaint gonna get it done

Grumpy Bear
Grumpy Bear

Grumpy Bear
Grumpy Bear
PostSun Jun 11, 2023 9:35 pm 
I use the classic Swiss with a Kershaw Atmos for a bigger blade. 2.6 oz and about $70 for both

CS

CS
PostMon Jun 12, 2023 2:37 pm 
I have a Squirt I bring hiking/backpacking, but I don't use it much though, more for emergencies. For food prep outdoors when car camping or picnics, I really like this CRKT knife: https://www.crkt.com/knife/ripsnort-two-folding-knife-with-liner-lock It has just enough weight and width to make clean straight cuts through vegetables. You can pull an avocado pit out cleanly by slapping it into the pit and twisting like you would with a knife at home.

ScottP

ScottP
PostMon Jun 12, 2023 4:17 pm 
I carry the Vic Classic mostly for the scissors, but for most of my knife needs, I use a No 8 Opinel with the carbon steel blade. Lightweight, sturdy and it has a twist lock. https://www.rei.com/product/884528/opinel-no-8-beechwood-handle-knife

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Jun 22, 2023 12:26 pm 
One more option for outdoor cooking is any of a variety of simple kitchen knives with sheath, like this:
This one weighs 0.32 ounce, but there are lots that are heavier or lighter.

CS

CS
PostThu Jun 22, 2023 12:48 pm 
A fixed blade would have been my first choice, but knife laws in WA Seattle mainly... fun times.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Jun 23, 2023 9:11 pm 
Really -- a simple, non-folding kitchen knife with a 3.5" blade is against the law???

CS

CS
PostFri Jun 23, 2023 10:59 pm 
Oh actually, it's not WA state, but Seattle, they defined it as a dangerous knife: "Dangerous knife" means any fixed-blade knife and any other knife having a blade more than 3 1/2 inches in length 12A.14.080 - Unlawful use of weapons B.Knowingly carry concealed or unconcealed on such person any dangerous knife, or carry concealed on such person any deadly weapon other than a firearm; or But if you drive for a couple of hours to the mountains, you'll be passing through who knows how many random different laws where you'll just go straight to jail for your camping gear. It's kind of hopeless: https://handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife2.pdf

Bronco

Bronco
PostTue Jun 27, 2023 11:09 am 
For alpine climbs and mountaineering I'll carry: https://www.leatherman.com/style-ps-25.html. and https://trango.com/products/piranha-knife For overnight backpacking I'll add a Benchmade Bug Out for camp chores.

Dante

Dante
PostTue Jun 27, 2023 9:00 pm 
1. Spyderco Manbug on the keychain. 2. Victorinox Outrider (if I don't anticipate needing pliers) 3. Leatherman Charge TTi (if I think I might want pliers)

Dante

Dante
PostTue Jun 27, 2023 9:07 pm 
"Oh actually, it's not WA state, but Seattle, they defined it as a dangerous knife: "Dangerous knife" means any fixed-blade knife and any other knife having a blade more than 3 1/2 inches in length 12A.14.080 - Unlawful use of weapons B.Knowingly carry concealed or unconcealed on such person any dangerous knife, or carry concealed on such person any deadly weapon other than a firearm; or But if you drive for a couple of hours to the mountains, you'll be passing through who knows how many random different laws where you'll just go straight to jail for your camping gear. It's kind of hopeless: https://handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife2.pdf" ESEE makes a few great fixed blade knives <= 3" I carried a >3" Benchmade for a while before I learned doing so was illegal in Seattle eek.gif