Forum Index > Trip Reports > Quartz Ridge - April 14, 2023
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ALW Hiker
lakebagger

ALW Hiker
lakebagger
PostSat Apr 15, 2023 11:45 am 
A few photos from Quartz Ridge yesterday - my first time up this trail. The views were pretty spectacular and it was cool to see some familiar peaks from a totally different vantage point. Garfield was quite impressive from this angle. I also enjoyed the view up Taylor River Valley, past Dream Lake to Malachite Peak - that was a surprising alignment! Up the Middle Fork direction, Chikamin looked like a totally different peak since it's hard to make out the normally obvious summit block. We ran into snow at about 2500', a bit below the sign for the vista. The views at the vista were underwhelming - too many big trees in the way. With the steep slopes around there and the snow, we didn't want to get too close to the edge. Perhaps without the snow, there is a better spot. Our high point was the big flat area just below 3400' - well worth the climb! The snow was maybe 3' deep at our high point, and very soft in the afternoon sun. Snowshoes would have helped for sure, I was postholing up to my knees pretty regularly, or to my waist when I hit a hole next to a log. I was amazed at how well constructed this trail is. Does anyone know the history of the trail and who built it? I imagine the lower part to the old lookout site was officially built, not sure about the upper part. I had thought it was a clandestine trail, but those usually forego the niceties like switchbacks. smile.gif
Big leaf maples near the Middle Fork CG
Big leaf maples near the Middle Fork CG
Quartz Ridge Trail below snow line
Quartz Ridge Trail below snow line
Vista junction
Vista junction
About the best view I could coax out of the vista - looking toward Morpheus
About the best view I could coax out of the vista - looking toward Morpheus
Stopping for a snack break - a bit above the vista
Stopping for a snack break - a bit above the vista
Through the first saddle
Through the first saddle
Taylor River wide shot
Taylor River wide shot
Garfield plus Lemahs and Chikamin
Garfield plus Lemahs and Chikamin
Taylor River / Dream Lake zoom - Cascade Mountain and Malachite Peak in the back
Taylor River / Dream Lake zoom - Cascade Mountain and Malachite Peak in the back
Morpheus (center), Taylor River
Morpheus (center), Taylor River
Nice overview of Preacher, Pulpit, Stegosaurus
Nice overview of Preacher, Pulpit, Stegosaurus
Treen and Garfield
Treen and Garfield
Rooster (The Ark)
Rooster (The Ark)
Action shot
Action shot
Huge stump below the Nordrum Lookout
Huge stump below the Nordrum Lookout

Anne Elk, zimmertr, zeldathewelder, The Ghost of Bear 380, yukon222, awilsondc, jaysway, Tom, Fedor, puzzlr, Now I Fly
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Apr 15, 2023 2:22 pm 
I first heard about this trail in November 2019 but didn't check it out until October, 2020. We ran into snow as well but made it to a minor summit at 3900'. I hope someday to follow either the ridge or just to the east all the way to the Quartz summit. I know the creator doesn't live in Washington anymore so they won't be doing more work on it.

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

ALW Hiker
ALW Hiker
lakebagger

ALW Hiker
lakebagger
PostSat Apr 15, 2023 3:30 pm 
Thanks puzzlr! We were debating whether one person could have built such an extensive trail - pretty impressive if so. I mean, it's not up to PCT standards or anything, but it's quite a bit better than most of the other unofficial trails in the area - Stegosaurus, Marten Lake, Rainy Lake, Old Mailbox, etc. I suppose the relative dryness of that hillside and openness of the (previously logged) forest helped with construction - it only crosses over a couple creeks, one of which is entirely dry. Looks to me like pretty much everyone who summits Quartz does it via the Bessequartz south ridge. That way looks shorter and easier, for sure. I suspect there may be some gnarly impassable stuff on that ridge east of Quartz - East.

Fedor

Fedor
PostSat Apr 15, 2023 4:37 pm 
I suspect the same person or people who worked on some of the exit 38 trails (zig-zag, hall Creek, etc) was involved. Maybe whitebark who used to post here had something to do with it.

ALW Hiker
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Apr 16, 2023 11:53 pm 
I always figured it was Whitebark. There's an open rocky ledge below the vista that I've been meaning to check out. I got close to it a month or so ago but got turned back by tree bombs.

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostSat Apr 29, 2023 6:55 am 
Thanks for the report and pics. Glad to learn of another height-gaining trail in the MFK slot. BTW- Rainy Lake trail was a USFS numbered trail. Shows up on older agency maps. There was even a cable bridge to start... At Camp Brown. Not to be confused with the one at the Pratt confluence.

ALW Hiker
ALW Hiker
lakebagger

ALW Hiker
lakebagger
PostSun Apr 30, 2023 10:44 am 
Thanks for the clarification on the Rainy Lake Trail, it has had an interesting history. I always figured it was just a fisherman's trail given the lack of "polish" through some of the tougher sections, but all the massive cut logs hint at a more official status in the past. Also, in Beckey's information about Preacher Mountain he says the trail to Rainy Lake "cannot be found", but that may have been written before the Gateway Bridge went in, and certainly before all the work on the Pratt Connector (aka Pratt River Trail). The Forest Service has recently been paying some attention to Rainy Lake, as there were some WTA work parties there last year. Hopefully that trend will continue. It still doesn't have an official entry on the USFS web site, but as you pointed out, is is on their maps as "Rainy Lake Trail 1252". Same deal with the Pratt River Trail #1035 - WTA has another long work party on that one this year, starting from the Pratt Lake side.