Forum Index > Trail Talk > MRNP seeks input on timed entry plan
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Apr 27, 2023 8:06 am 
Everyone throws out far fetched unrealistic ideas like trams, shuttles, and expanded parking lots. None of these will happen anytime soon, if ever. All the land 10 feet away from the roads is wilderness so that eliminates trams and big parking lots. Shuttles work in theory but you have to purchase land outside the park and then the shuttle themselves would be traveling very far, much farther than in other national parks. I have no faith MRNP can pull off an effective shuttle system. What I fear is that they impose a mandatory ineffective shuttle system, and it will prevent people like me from showing up at 6:45 am, cruising through the gate with no wait, and hiking on a less used trail in solitude. Instead, you will have to wait 30+ minutes on each end of the hike for the shuttle. And then they will cancel shuttle runs for labor shortage issues just like they did for winter access. So imposing a shuttle means cutting off access to the park. The status quo is not bad at all. It is bad if you think you should be able roll up at 11 am on a beautiful sunny August day and you should be allowed to drive right up to Paradise and park. But if you adjust your expectations and strategies, it is an amazing park where you can find solitude any day of the year. But people just love to complain.

Mountainpines
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Apr 27, 2023 8:37 am 
I bet the gateway towns like Enumclaw and Greenwood, etc. and the county could collaborate and cobble together a deal on land for parking. Those communities could benefit from shuttle clients; instead of zipping by the towns in their cars, they will be at the parking lot. That process would slow them down, they chat about where to eat, a place for a souvenir, espresso drink, before heading back to their motel, or home. I'm sure there are barriers, and perhaps this isn't a reasonable idea; I'm no expert. But a shuttle service is certainly worth a comment in their process. I admit I haven't read all the alternatives and discussion of what has been already rejected, so there may be something in the docs about it already...

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

rossb
altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Apr 27, 2023 8:48 am 
Those proposals would mean a shuttle of 50 miles. What's the longest shuttle at the moment in the National Park system? How much elevation does the shuttle go up (a Rainier shuttle would go up several thousand feet in elevation). I believe there are already private shuttles from Enumclaw up to Sunrise. That seems like a much better solution. Those who are willing to wake up early get to drive up to Sunrise without crowds. Those who want to sleep in can take the private shuttle. I'd be ok with the private shuttle being being able to bypass the gate line to offer an incentive to take that instead of try to drive. What I fear is the masses will comment saying it is too crowded and they want shuttles. MRNP will listen to the masses, shut down access to the park, and force everyone to take a shuttle that runs very infrequently, is horrendously slow, and is often canceled.

Mountainpines
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Apr 27, 2023 9:13 am 
altasnob wrote:
MRNP will listen to the masses
Interesting take on the process.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Apr 27, 2023 9:16 am 
Shuttles. Like Zion. I would say Fridays-Sundays. Other than that then status quo.

Art is an adventure.

rossb
kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Apr 27, 2023 9:21 am 
altasnob wrote:
Everyone throws out far fetched unrealistic ideas like trams, shuttles, and expanded parking lots. None of these will happen anytime soon, if ever. All the land 10 feet away from the roads is wilderness so that eliminates trams and big parking lots. Shuttles work in theory but you have to purchase land outside the park and then the shuttle themselves would be traveling very far, much farther than in other national parks. I have no faith MRNP can pull off an effective shuttle system. What I fear is that they impose a mandatory ineffective shuttle system, and it will prevent people like me from showing up at 6:45 am, cruising through the gate with no wait, and hiking on a less used trail in solitude. Instead, you will have to wait 30+ minutes on each end of the hike for the shuttle. And then they will cancel shuttle runs for labor shortage issues just like they did for winter access. So imposing a shuttle means cutting off access to the park. The status quo is not bad at all. It is bad if you think you should be able roll up at 11 am on a beautiful sunny August day and you should be allowed to drive right up to Paradise and park. But if you adjust your expectations and strategies, it is an amazing park where you can find solitude any day of the year. But people just love to complain.
Well first, if you enter the park at 6:45 you might be through the gate before timed entry starts. So it seems like that would be a good comment to submit. Start it at 7. That's when Arches timed entry starts. Glacier's starts at 6. Rocky Mts starts at 9 except for one particular corridor. They've done shuttles before, so I'm not sure why it would be far fetched. https://www.nps.gov/mora/learn/news/shuttle-service-begins-june-29.htm But sure there will be some people that will find that the timed entry isn't as convenient for them as free access. The status quo for you might not be bad, but the tipping point was when residents and tourists in Ashford could no longer access their homes/lodging without getting stuck in the backed up entrance line. The line has been 2 hours long at times--think of all those idling cars. It's not just that you can't roll up at 11--you can't roll up between 9 and 4. And visitation keeps growing. With our population growth plus growth in tourism, something needs to be done. It's normal I guess that we are thinking of this from a hikers perspective (you can always find solitude, etc) but that's not the issue the park is trying to solve. They are trying to solve 1-2 hour long lines that extend into Ashford, and a crush of tourists wanting parking when there is none. Timed entry has been very successful at other parks. It's the only way I'd ever visit popular parks like Arches or Glacier again. And again, note that you can enter these parks early without using the system.

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Apr 27, 2023 9:22 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
altasnob wrote:
MRNP will listen to the masses
Interesting take on the process.
What I mean by that is I assume MRNP is bombarded with complaints from people who show up at 2 pm on a Saturday in August and sit in the gate line for 2 hours. MRNP will attempt to make these people happy, but never will succeed. MRNP will never listen to people like those on nwhikers who are smart enough to never show up at gate at 2 pm on a Saturday in August. We're the minority here. Most people who visit MRNP are completely clueless.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Apr 27, 2023 9:22 am 
altasnob wrote:
But if you adjust your expectations and strategies, it is an amazing park where you can find solitude any day of the year. But people just love to complain
The subject of the thread is a heads up to participate in the process on an issue the Park has already identified to address. It's not about how you and me and others here can find solitude. We know how to do that.

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Apr 27, 2023 9:26 am 
kiliki wrote:
They've done it before, so I'm not sure why it would be far fetched. https://www.nps.gov/mora/learn/news/shuttle-service-begins-june-29.htm
That form of shuttle is completely reasonable and is something they should immediately implement with very little costs and almost no downside. But that shuttle system is just a very, very, minor, system. They are utilizing existing parking lots. If you are utilizing existing parking lots you are never going to be able to create a system to replace driving up to Paradise/Sunrise. A serious, larger scale shuttle system requires purchasing parking lot land outside the park and building ADA compliant restrooms at those parking lots. That's where things get expensive.

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Apr 27, 2023 9:30 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
altasnob wrote:
But if you adjust your expectations and strategies, it is an amazing park where you can find solitude any day of the year. But people just love to complain
The subject of the thread is a heads up to participate in the process on an issue the Park has already identified to address. It's not about how you and me and others here can find solitude. We know how to do that.
I'm just warning people, the more you complain about the status quo, the more likely things will get changed, and you are not guaranteed that change will be better. Most often, it will be worse. Same thing happened with skiing at Crystal. If you woke up early there was no driving/parking problems. But the people who feel entitled to be able to wake up late and drive up on Saturday complained to management enough that now we have paid parking and reservations for skiing at Crystal. Some people think that is an improvement. I am wary of where things will go because I see paid parking, reservations, and mandatory shuttles as decreasing access to places that are not that difficult to access at the moment. Like I said, people love to complain, and don't realize that when you have 4.2 million people living in this region, things will be crowded, and you just need to change your strategies rather than complain to management (who will muck it all up with their "ideas").

Mountainpines
kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Apr 27, 2023 9:34 am 
We aren't talking about replacing driving. The goal is, reduce entrance lines, reduce traffic, allow people to visit Paradise and Sunrise. It would be perfect for so many tourists.

Mountainpines
altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Apr 27, 2023 9:38 am 
kiliki wrote:
Timed entry has been very successful at other parks. It's the only way I'd ever visit popular parks like Arches or Glacier again. And again, note that you can enter these parks early without using the system.
I don't think they could start it before 7 am even if they wanted to do to labor issues. The gate is never maned before 7 at the moment and if you get there before then, you drive right throw without paying (I have an annual pass so moot). Think of all the idiots who will show up without a reservation who are going to sit at the gate for an hour arguing with them about it. The traffic jam will back up to Eatonville.

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Apr 27, 2023 9:41 am 
Quote:
Same thing happened with skiing at Crystal. If you woke up early there was no driving/parking problems. But the people who feel entitled to be able to wake up late and drive up on Saturday complained to management enough that now we have paid parking and reservations for skiing at Crystal. Some people think that is an improvement.
If everyone wakes up early, you have the same problem. It's a problem of too many people accessing a shared resource. Timed entry to me seems like the perfect solution. It's not as limited as quote type permits. People like you can get in early without a timed ticket. Average Joe Tourist can set out in his rental car and know that he has a spot to enter at a particular time. I really do think most people like this sort of thing. Spot Saver at the airport has been hugely popular and has essentially solved the same kind of issue.

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Apr 27, 2023 9:43 am 
altasnob wrote:
kiliki wrote:
Timed entry has been very successful at other parks. It's the only way I'd ever visit popular parks like Arches or Glacier again. And again, note that you can enter these parks early without using the system.
I don't think they could start it before 7 am even if they wanted to do to labor issues. The gate is never maned before 7 at the moment and if you get there before then, you drive right throw without paying (I have an annual pass so moot). Think of all the idiots who will show up without a reservation who are going to sit at the gate for an hour arguing with them about it. The traffic jam will back up to Eatonville.
So you are fine then! You will still get to hike and do what you want to do. Given that they use this at other parks, I'm not particularly worried about some catastrophe of people not knowing and causing chaos.

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Apr 27, 2023 9:43 am 
kiliki wrote:
We aren't talking about replacing driving. The goal is, reduce entrance lines, reduce traffic, allow people to visit Paradise and Sunrise. It would be perfect for so many tourists.
Have you ever tried to reserve a campground spot in MRNP? They get booked instantaneously and are almost never available. I don't know if it is bots, or no shows, or what, but it's almost impossible to get a reservation for camping. That same phenomenon will exist for the tourist who wants to visit at 2 pm on a Saturday in August. I'd rather see more private shuttles that are allowed to bypass the gate. So your choice on a busy Saturday August afternoon is sit in traffic for 2 hours, or take the shuttle, or go somewhere less crowded. I don't have much sympathy for homeowners near the gate. They know what they signed up for when they bought there. Use the shoulder to get by people. Or make MNRP use the shoulder like Washington State ferries does, and through traffic can use the real lanes.

Mountainpines, Anne Elk