Forum Index > Trip Reports > Artist Point 4/29-4/30/2023
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jaysway

jaysway
PostSun Apr 30, 2023 11:18 pm 
I did my first overnighter to Artist Point/Huntoon Point last night. We caught the tail end of the recent heat wave before rain/snow and cooler temps come in for the next 6-10 days. We saw lots of avalanche debris under steep slopes in the far distance, but did not see any obvious signs of instability in the route up. We were one of four groups camped at Huntoon Point before sunset, and two more groups joined after sunset along with another group closer to Artist Point for seven groups total. If anyone wants to camp around here and is looking for privacy, in exchange for less optimal views of Shuksan there is plenty of room to spread out in the Artist Point area. One group camped right on the small summit of Huntoon Point, and while they had amazing views from their tent, their tent was surrounded by people for sunset and sunrise. Where we camped had a snow depth of at least 280cm (the length of our longest probe), which was not a surprise given that Heather Meadows's NWAC station has a snow depth of 363cm. Overall this was a really fun experience. This hike/snowshoe/ski has to have the highest reward-to-effort ratio in the state. Saturday
Sunday

seawallrunner, awilsondc, GaliWalker, silence, Now I Fly
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
silence

silence
PostMon May 01, 2023 6:53 am 
May 19-20, 2011 we had the whole place to ourselves under blue bird skies. Agreed about the reward to effort ratio. But, the crowd would kinda put a damper on it now. Great photos!

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan

jaysway
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message