Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Winthrop 5/20/23
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun May 21, 2023 7:14 pm 
Mt Winthrop 7850' This peak was a long waited objective in this early season and a short notice availability for me this year. Lots of weekend soccer games for my daughter has had me juggling games and dumpster dives to get exercise. But, it has been fun watching her games! On Sat morning, I left my house at 3am to head up to Canada for a recon of my upcoming trips and this one. I drove to a couple Manning Park TH's to check out conditions and access across the Similkameen River. Bridges were flooded or washed out, so I went to the further away Windy Joe TH. I started hiking by 7 along a nice trail for the next mile or so, then I made a bad choice. I went for the Similkameen trail to make the most map efficient way to the border. I was greeted with 1000's of blowdown trees over the trail for the next few miles, no joke. Then it was a log crossing over the raging Castle Cr to get to the other side to join another possible trail. I had cuts and scratches all over my legs from all of the branches.
typical down logs on the trail
typical down logs on the trail
my log crossing over castle creek
my log crossing over castle creek
I reached the other side and eventually found a better trail for a while until it disappeared into the creek. There was about 1/2 mile of super flooded trail caused by beaver dams that forced me uphill in a bushwhack to get around it. Not knowing at first, I was standing on top of the beaver dam. Once getting around it, I headed back down to the trail and found it really good all the way to the border.
the border
the border
The PCT trail heading South was in good shape for the 2+ or so miles I traveled to get to the spot where I'd head directly up the slopes of Mt Winthrop. There wasn't any snow to this point, which surprised me. It seemed more like late June than mid May. I traveled through a fairly open forest until I finally reached some snow. I put the snowshoes on for less than a half mile and then choss hopped to the summit.
view to the West
view to the West
view to the south
view to the south
It took me longer to reach the summit than I had thought it would, so I didnt stay long and headed back down. I was dreading the long stretch of downfall but that's part of the mountain experience. 27 miles 5400' elevation gain 11hrs 45 min

Eric Eames

rubywrangler, Lindsay, SeanSullivan86, ozzy, wallorcrawl, awilsondc, sooperfly, LukeHelgeson, Now I Fly, neek, RichP, jaysway
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostSun May 21, 2023 8:41 pm 
Quote:
Lots of weekend soccer games for my daughter has had me juggling games and dumpster dives to get exercise. But, it has been fun watching her games!
i've been wondering where you've been smile.gif sounds like a stefan-reincarnate.

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSun May 21, 2023 11:46 pm 
You covered a lot of ground, despite the blow down. Lovely summit views. up.gif up.gif

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon May 22, 2023 10:30 am 
sorry to have missed you on Sunday!!! So I assume you checked out the 78/83 trailhead and the bridge is washed out across the Similkameen River there? The bridge is washed out after the Castle Creek/Chuwanten Creek/Similkameen River confluence?

Art is an adventure.
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon May 22, 2023 4:19 pm 
Stefan wrote:
So I assume you checked out the 78/83 trailhead and the bridge is washed out across the Similkameen River there?
I saw a WTA TR last month saying it was out. And with the high water at the moment, I don't think think they'll repair it anytime soon. I also checked out the beaver pond TH and it was flooded very badly. But, I got another idea how to get in there easier next time

Eric Eames
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostTue May 23, 2023 8:08 pm 
Damn that one is out there! I had to look this one up, never heard of it. Some awesome views and a nice slog to boot! As usual you make it seem rather casual lol. Nice trip, cheers man!

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin