bccarlso

bccarlso
PostFri Dec 01, 2023 8:02 am 
Oof. :/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
altasnob

altasnob
PostFri Dec 01, 2023 8:27 am 
Not a fan of this change. My wife and I often recreate separately as we have small children. Now we'll need to purchase two annual passes. Just another way America punishes parents and rewards old people (who already control all the wealth and power in this country).

Tom
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Dec 01, 2023 10:14 am 
From the article: "The updated interagency pass will still grant the pass owner and all occupants in a personal vehicle access to sites that charge per vehicle. For sites that charge per person, the new pass will grant access to the pass owner and up to three additional adults. Children ages 15 or under are admitted free."

huron

huron
PostFri Dec 01, 2023 10:18 am 
"Children ages 15 or under are admitted free." - definitely a boomer power grab to persecute parents and young peepl. Prediction 2025: Park passes sold exclusively through Ticketmaster.

uww, SpookyKite89, RumiDude
kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Dec 01, 2023 10:26 am 
I'm trying to think of sites that charge per person, and can't. What are some examples? It doesn't sound like there is really any change for me at least then, since I guess I don't visit sites with a per person charge.

ejain

ejain
PostFri Dec 01, 2023 10:41 am 
kiliki wrote:
I'm trying to think of sites that charge per person, and can't. What are some examples? It doesn't sound like there is really any change for me at least then, since I guess I don't visit sites with a per person charge.
If you don't visit national parks (or at least avoid staffed entrances), or if you and your spouse never get out on their own (e.g. when the other is stuck at work or out of town), then good for you, this change won't affect you.

altasnob

altasnob
PostFri Dec 01, 2023 12:06 pm 
huron wrote:
"Children ages 15 or under are admitted free." - definitely a boomer power grab to persecute parents and young peepl.
That "free child" perk is absolutely meaningless for anyone living in the PNW. Any child 15 or under visiting Rainier, Oly, or parking at a NW Forest Pass trailhead is likely going to be traveling with their parent/adult and their parent's pass covers everyone in the car regardless of age. So again, for people who live in the same house, but occasionally hike without their spouse/partner, they are now forced to buy two $80 Interagency passes. And they have to do so annually. Contrast this to people over age 62 who have the option of buying an annual Interagency pass for $20, or a LIFETIME for $80. If the park service wants to raise money why not make people over the age of 62 pay their fair share? Why force everyone under age 62 to subsidize those over 62? After all, people over age 62 are wealthier, on average, than those under 62 in the US.

MultiUser
altasnob

altasnob
PostFri Dec 01, 2023 12:13 pm 
kiliki wrote:
I'm trying to think of sites that charge per person, and can't. What are some examples?
There's none that I can think of in Washington and Oregon. Muir Woods charges $15 per person but "any National Park Service pass will cover entrance fees for the pass-holder and three additional adults."

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Dec 01, 2023 1:21 pm 
I believe some of the wildlife refuges charge per person Nisqually and Dungeness Spit for example.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Dec 01, 2023 2:10 pm 
ejain wrote:
If you don't visit national parks (or at least avoid staffed entrances), or if you and your spouse never get out on their own (e.g. when the other is stuck at work or out of town), then good for you, this change won't affect you.
National parks don't charge per person, they charge per vehicle, so they are unaffected. I'm pretty sure when we visited FDR's home at Hyde Park a few years ago we paid individually, but given that the rule change still gives the pass holder to bring 3 other adults in, it doesn't seem like this is much of a change--except to prevent a pass from being shared among many people, which seems fair. I'm surprised the rule is new as I've been asked to show my ID along with my pass at Rainier, for one.

ejain

ejain
PostFri Dec 01, 2023 2:42 pm 
kiliki wrote:
National parks don't charge per person, they charge per vehicle, so they are unaffected.
Staff at the entrance stations always check that the signature on my America the Beautiful Pass matches my driver's license (and even make me sign the pass if I haven't done so already). So I won't be able to enter with a pass that was signed by my spouse (and vice-versa).

altasnob

altasnob
PostFri Dec 01, 2023 2:51 pm 
kiliki wrote:
except to prevent a pass from being shared among many people, which seems fair
You think it is unfair that under the previous rules, spouses/partners were allowed to share a single pass? To be clear, under the previous rule, a single pass could be shared with a maximum of two people (not many like you stated). Now it can only be used by one (and yes, one pass can get the whole car in but the pass is only associated with one single person). Washington's Discover Pass allows you to share a single pass between two vehicles. So I assume you think this unfair, and Washington should instead change their rules so that a pass can only be used with one specific vehicle?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Dec 01, 2023 3:00 pm 
altasnob wrote:
Not a fan of this change. My wife and I often recreate separately as we have small children. Now we'll need to purchase two annual passes. Just another way America punishes parents and rewards old people (who already control all the wealth and power in this country).
I really feel for you. Last time I checked my property taxes run about $15K a year. Having no kids it's good to know a good chunk of that goes toward schools and hopefully goes a long way to offset the huge burden you have paying an extra ~$100 for a pass.

treeswarper, fourteen410, Comma, graywolf, hbb
altasnob

altasnob
PostFri Dec 01, 2023 3:12 pm 
Tom wrote:
I really feel for you. Last time I checked my property taxes run about $15K a year. Having no kids it's good to know a good chunk of that goes toward schools and hopefully goes a long way to offset the huge burden you have paying an extra ~$100 for a pass.
Glad you are a fan of an uneducated populace. Fortunately, most people on Earth don't agree with you. It's an extra $80 a year, not $100, and while that may seem trivial, it adds up. There are so many aspects of society where we penalize families, and reward the wealthy (those over 62 in this case).