Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hope Slide / Johnson 5/7/2023
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed May 10, 2023 10:32 am 
Went out with Greg K. On 5/6/2023 we tried to do Jorgenson Peak. Unfortunately I did not know the Squeah road on the westside was out of operation currently. Big traffic concrete blocks prohibit entry near Kawkawa Lake. This meant an additional 4 mile walk one way. I was not up to do an 8 mile round trip walk on a logging road just to start a climb. If anybody knows how to get updated information on logging road accessibility in Canada...I would appreciate it. We did a consolation prize of Thacker Mountain looking down on Hope. We then tried other peaks and we were shut out due to snow and other gates. 5/7/2023. We did the west ridge of Hope Slide. I will have to say. This is definitely one brush free route! We left the logging road at around 2600 feet I believe at a clearcut going almost north to get into the forest and then from there we headed up a continual stream of flagging that we found start at 2900 feet. Here is the interesting part of that flagging: We saw flagging that said, "Road". Um. They are going to log this area. And they are going to build a new road. What does that mean??? Well, maybe you can wait for a couple of years to do this peak because a new road will be added probably cutting off 500 feet of gain to get to the west ridge. I have NEVER seen flagging for a new logging road in over 30 years. You follow up the ridge for a while and then it comes to the top of the actual Hope slide. Trees become tighter here. Paint on trees. Some cut trees. We eventually hit snow at 5500 feet on this route and put on snowshoes. Easy to the top. No views. Clouds. We then easily descended on the east and then over to Johnson Peak. No real problems. Snowshoes? I wore them sometimes, Greg did not. No views on Johnson either! We basically retraced our steps back. Weather got better as we got closer to the car. 10 hours round trip. We then finished the day on Landstrom Ridge which is a nice easy hike just west of Hope. Great views! I recommend this one if you have time! Pictures from Greg:

Art is an adventure.

Gimpilator
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed May 10, 2023 10:44 am 
Steven has told me that most of the kind of information you're looking for is now on Facebook groups (that's no help to me). Forest road access changes more rapidly in BC than WA. I guess when someone does a certain peak and the road is known to be good, then many people make a point to go get it, while the getting is good. Sometimes bridges are removed, or it becomes overgrown in a few short years. Official website information has been unreliable in my experience.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message