Forum Index > Trip Reports > 32 peaks in 14 days, Zion, Grand Canyon – April/May 2023
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostTue May 09, 2023 11:02 pm 
4-25 Red Butte – 7326' The plan for this day was Battleship only, but on the drive there, I noticed an interesting hill, on the flats south of the canyon. When I looked into it, there was a trail and lookout, so why not? Made it up and down before 7am.
The Battleship – 5850' My sister and her husband had visited the canyon a few days prior, so I had their week pass. Thanks sis! After my failed attempt on Vishnu Temple, I had promised myself that the next time in the Grand Canyon, I would be on a trail. Half this route is on a trail, so I half kept my promise. Descended the popular Bright Angel trail, with loads of people, even in the early morning. Didn’t see anyone else after leaving the main trail. Pleasantly surprised to find a climbers path making the long traverse over to Battleship.
Battleship down there
Battleship down there
getting closer
getting closer
bigger than it looks from the rim
bigger than it looks from the rim
After scrambling up the first short gully, I mistakenly followed a ledge much further than I should have, and ended up in some narrow places which scared me. At the end of the ledge, I was looking at an exposed crawl move with a 5th class chimney above. That couldn’t be right. I backtracked and examined several other bad options, finally finding the 2nd chimney hidden very near the top of the first one. The rest of the route was easier, despite heavy exposure in a few spots.
off route, went beyond that boulder
off route, went beyond that boulder
on route, go up here
on route, go up here
rim from the summit
rim from the summit
Hopi Lookout – 7040' Number 2 of the 3 AZ fire lookouts I visited on this day.
I also went to the following outcroppings overlooking the canyon. These are named geologic features, so they list here, but aren't counted as peaks. Had to make use of the shuttle bus system for certain areas closed to cars. Maricopa Point - 7005' Powell Point - 7057' Hopi Point - 7040' Mohave Point - 6950' Pima Point - 6778' Hermits Rest - 6650' Yavapai Point - 7062' Yaki Point - 7268' Mather Point - 7118' Grandview Point - 7418'
Battleship down there
Battleship down there
Grandview Benchmark – 7520' Mostly a drive-up. This is a good place just outside the park where you can freedom camp. Nice lookout tower! I texted Bryan from the summit and it turns out he has also been there.
4-26 Coronado Butte (Attempt) – 6900' The New Hance trail is steep and rugged. The view of Coronado was impressive. I left the trail below the connecting saddle and ascended to it. Some scrambling along the ridge to reach the base of the cliffs that guard the summit. The standard route traverses around the east side and ascends a system of 3 adjacent gullies connected by ledges. Everything in the first gully was horrifying loose. The scrambling was on rotten downsloping stuff with rocks coming out and a crux move that felt a lot harder to me than the class 3 advertised.
I made it to the first ledge, but I was so unhappy about what I had just done, that all I really wanted was to get off the peak. I figured the rest of the route would probably still be rotten, with increasing exposure. So I decided not to do it. I’m in it for the fun, and not having any fun on this peak, I had nothing to lose by turning around.
rotten awful gully!
rotten awful gully!
you'll like the gully this much
you'll like the gully this much
ledge
ledge
4-27 3 more rim outcroppings (not peaks and not counted). Moran Point - 7133' Lipan Point - 7410' Navajo Point - 7454'
Navajo Point Benchmark – 7498' Short walk on an old overgrown road. Found the benchmark. SP Mountain – 7021' This peak was recommended to me recently by Scott Surgent. It’s a nice cinder cone with a trail to the rim, after which you circumnavigate on volcanic rock to the far side where the summit is located.
caldera
caldera
Humphreys
Humphreys
Crater Benchmark – 7368' The area northeast of Humphreys is scattered with cinder cones. This is one of the bigger ones near SP.
SP
SP
Humphreys
Humphreys
Strawberry Crater Rim – 6526' I had overlooked Strawberry when I did O’Leary a couple years prior. It stands out as a steeper more rugged objective. Maybe a scramble? At the trailhead I discovered a loop trail. As it turned out, it didn’t go to the summit, but near enough. The summit is a narrow fin of pleasantly solid rock, class 3. There are a number of ancient native ruins along the upper rim. This is not your average cinder cone.
Strawberry
Strawberry
summit fin
summit fin
ruins
ruins
4-28 Canaan Mountain – 7363' This was the first of 3 days where the heat was going to be an issue. The route on Canaan was supposed to be 18 miles, mostly traversing a high plateau. I figured being up high during the heat of the day might be an ok way to deal with it. If you have a highly modified Jeep, you might be able to drive within a few miles of the summit. It’s illegal, since this is a wilderness, but clearly that’s not stopping the locals.
To make things more interesting, to get to the plateau on foot requires ascending up out of Water Canyon on some exposed ledges. I got off route near the bottom and onto some frightening little ledges. Fortunately I came to my senses and turned back before trying something which looked very foolish, and shortly thereafter found the correct route.
off route
off route
About half way to the summit I came to an area known as the White Domes. Pristine, layered, wavy sandstone. Very nice. After that was several miles of deep loose beach-sand and snow patches with large melt puddles. The summit views make this one more than worth the distance.
moqui marbles
moqui marbles
On the way back, I saw what looked like an alternate route, which would have less sand walking and more open slick rock. This turned out to be a good decision, and much more enjoyable. Saw a mountain lion track down by the creek crossing.
alternate route back
alternate route back
lion
lion
back to the first ledge
back to the first ledge
4-29 The Beehive – 6476' My friend Stav has spoken highly about this peak, so I had to check it out. This day would be hotter than the previous, so the plan was to be up and down by mid day. For that reason I selected the more direct south ridge, rather than hike around to the north face, which is what he did. Both routes are class 3/4. There was a bit of brush getting up to the only weakness in the lower cliffs. Tom Gathright described a class 4 spot, which I found, but I went a bit further left to the other option he hinted at and went up that way.
weakness through cliffs
weakness through cliffs
Most of this ridge is class 2, as you work around and through some hoodoos. The two summit blocks are nearly equal height, but I suspect the harder east one is higher. The obvious way up on the east side of the east summit, is 5th class. There’s more exposure on the southwest corner of this east summit, but only class 3. The heat in late morning was extreme and I soaked my shirt in Squirrel Creek. Near the trailhead I met a group of young women hiking in homemade dresses and listening to gospel music. This is not an uncommon thing to encounter in the mormon “Arizona Strip”.
hoodoos
hoodoos
Squirrel Peak tomorrow
Squirrel Peak tomorrow
summit area hoodoos
summit area hoodoos
east summit from west summit
east summit from west summit
west summit from east summit
west summit from east summit
crux area back at the lower cliff
crux area back at the lower cliff
4-30 Squirrel Peak – 6310' This peak was not on my itinerary, but it looked impressive enough and would be a good quick one to do on the hottest day of this trip. The summit rock is a fin but not hard.
Water Peak
Water Peak
upper ridge
upper ridge
Water
Water
Water and Squirrel
Water and Squirrel
summit fin rock
summit fin rock
Beehive yesterday
Beehive yesterday

Summitpost | YouTube | Peakbagger

NWtrax, GaliWalker
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostTue May 09, 2023 11:03 pm 
For the next leg of the trip I went to Zion. When I had some service, checking my email, I saw that Yossi Sadowsky, someone I’ve been trying to connect with for a few years, was going to be in Zion for some days, and he asked if I would like some company. I replied affirmative to his email. Within the next hour, I watched a car leave the trailhead I was parked at, and then return abruptly with tires spinning in the gravel. Serendipitously, we had been been emailing each other from the same trailhead! 5-1 Jenny Peak – 6310' Yossi and I set out to scramble up Jenny with the idea of maybe something else in the afternoon. This is a good peak to practice your friction slab moves. But we noticed another nearby point with an irresistible name.
Jenny (summit not visible yet)
Jenny (summit not visible yet)
East Temple, Deer Trap
East Temple, Deer Trap
Jenny
Jenny
Roof, Hepworth, Gifford
Roof, Hepworth, Gifford
Jenny's Nipples – 6240' How could you not scramble up something with a name like that? Feather in your cap type ascent. We discussed the pros and cons of continuing over to Little Jenny and decided to go for it. Little Jenny Peak – 6280' From Little Jenny, it looked fairly reasonable to make a go at Roof Peak. It was so great to be along with another peakbagger, afflicted by that insatiable desire for more peaks.
Roof
Roof
Roof Peak – 6553' If you want the full slick-rock Zion experience, you can have it on Roof. I can see why Stav loves it here. 2 summits separated by 100 meters. I don’t know which is higher. Now that we were deep in the back country, we decided to make the most of it, despite having only packed enough food and water for a short jaunt.
Roof
Roof
steep part
steep part
hero shot
hero shot
Kinnesava, West Temple
Kinnesava, West Temple
Hepworth Peak – 6548' Hepworth was next in line and no major difficulty traversing between the two. The main bowl dropping to the east between Roof and Hepworth had water flowing in it, so we did an alternate descent which required careful route finding. Yossi showed me how to shade the slope angles on the peakbagger app. A useful function I didn’t know about!
the roof feature on Roof
the roof feature on Roof
Kinnesava, West Temple, G2, Bridge, Gifford
Kinnesava, West Temple, G2, Bridge, Gifford
Roof
Roof
Destination Peak – 6560' We decided to bypass Gifford which is class 5, since we had no rope. Destination is a very impressive looking cone, from the southeast aspect. We took the wrong gully briefly, before correcting. To get into the bottom of the correct gully, we scrambled up vertically, on stacked downsloping shelves. Near the head of this gully I was flailing a bit on a class 4 spot, but Yossi suggested a better class 3 option which we both made use of.
Gifford
Gifford
Destination is very attractive
Destination is very attractive
these shelves are the key access to correct gully
these shelves are the key access to correct gully
Yossi demonstrates the class 3 option
Yossi demonstrates the class 3 option
From the upper notch we followed an exposed ledge around the south side. What a peak! The descent into Gifford Canyon would not work if it was wet. The slick-rock near the bottom is the type that makes you question slope-angle and friction coefficient.
G2, Kinnesava, West Temple, Bridge
G2, Kinnesava, West Temple, Bridge
East Temple
East Temple
G2
G2
mediocre summit views  :lol:
mediocre summit views lol.gif
Tabernacle Dome – 6430' There was some daylight left, even after the log jam of tourist drivers crossing the park, so we decided to climb Tabernacle. Stupidly, I left my full length rope at home, or it was lost somewhere in the disaster of my road-trip car. I did find a 20 meter section that had been cut from a damaged rope, so we brought that along with one harness and one belay device. Tabernacle has a couple class 4 chutes which allow access to the top of the ramparts on the west side. Probably the hardest move of the whole route is at the bottom. Slippery class 4 slab with sand over it, but zero exposure. After navigating around some rock formations, we came to the base of the west ridge.
Tabernacle
Tabernacle
2nd Class 4 chute
2nd Class 4 chute
This ridge appears near vertical from a distance, but might be more like 45 degrees or 50 at the crux. Things would not end well if you lost control on this ridge. Knowing that Yossi has soloed North Guardian the day before, and being that he's a younger braver man, I suggested that he lead the route. You can actually do a lot with a short rope and one harness/device, by belaying directly off the anchor. We fashioned a chest harness out of more webbing. I took a minute to show him how to set an anchor with webbing and then sent him on his way.
Yossi nearing the top of the climb
Yossi nearing the top of the climb
There are two small bushes right below the crux section and a tree above it. Honestly, I don’t think the bushes would hold a fall, but the tree would. In any case, it was reassuring using some gear. The views on the summit were nothing less than astounding. So many great peaks in a single day. We were high on life and it was absolute magic. The best day in the mountains I’ve had in a long time. Yossi has been charmed by his experiences in the mountains and that energy is contagious. It’s a strong force. The best climbers I’ve had the pleasure of knowing over the years have all been like that.
Altar of Sacrifice, West Temple, Kinnesava, Canaan, Cougar, Zion Butte
Altar of Sacrifice, West Temple, Kinnesava, Canaan, Cougar, Zion Butte
Pine Valley Peak, Cave Butte, West Northgate, North Guardian Angel
Pine Valley Peak, Cave Butte, West Northgate, North Guardian Angel
Altar of Sacrifice, West Temple, Kinnesava, Canaan, Cougar, Zion Butte, Smithsonian
Altar of Sacrifice, West Temple, Kinnesava, Canaan, Cougar, Zion Butte, Smithsonian
central portion shows North Guardian Angel, Greatheart Mesa, and South Guardian Angel
central portion shows North Guardian Angel, Greatheart Mesa, and South Guardian Angel
North Guardian (climbed last May)
North Guardian (climbed last May)
crux moves include this shaded flake you can get your fingers behind
crux moves include this shaded flake you can get your fingers behind
upper class 4 chute
upper class 4 chute
lower class 4 crux
lower class 4 crux
5-2 Mount Kinesava – 7285' Time for a big peak. One of the true sentinels, which make Zion a beautiful anomaly on the face of the earth. Yossi explained to me that the original native name for Zion was “Mukuntuweap”, straight up canyon, or vertical place. After crossing the lowlands, we met Dan from Milwaukee. He told us he had tried this peak once before and then asked if he could join us today. Sure!
summit is visible behind and slightly left of the big prow
summit is visible behind and slightly left of the big prow
ledge system
ledge system
An ascending ledge system crosses the cliffs of the southeast face. The route is considered class 4, but I think I managed to keep it at 3 by standing on a tree branch and crawling through the bushes in one area. In general, the scrambling comes in chunks and is not sustained. Sam and Yossi did a harder crux variation. I had carried the short rope, so that aided our confidence, but we didn’t end up using it on this day. The “catwalk” ledge is fairly wide and nothing to write home about.
"catwalk"
"catwalk"
beyond the catwalk
beyond the catwalk
After a final tricky move we came to the upper tier of the mountain where the white summit pyramid is set back from the rim we crested. Several different options to choose from on the final route, with friction slabs and braided paths. We were all delighted to get this peak. I called Stav from the summit, and Sam who uses Stav’s website, was surprised that we are both friends of his.
Kinnesava summit pyramid
Kinnesava summit pyramid
West Temple  :eek:
West Temple eek.gif
East Temple, Destination, G2, Gifford, Hepworth, Roof
East Temple, Destination, G2, Gifford, Hepworth, Roof
After a long break we went down to check out the petroglyphs, well hidden off the side of the route.
Kinnesava (Cowboy Ridge) and West Temple
Kinnesava (Cowboy Ridge) and West Temple
Lambs Knoll – 6353' Bidding Sam farewell, we went to scramble up Lamb’s Knoll, a complex groups of towers, walls and slots. Turns out this is also a popular cragging spot with sport and trad routes. The summit route is mostly on trail, but interesting. Steep class 3 at the top.
South Guardian Angel, Tabernacle Dome, part of Lambs Knoll
South Guardian Angel, Tabernacle Dome, part of Lambs Knoll
summit not visible
summit not visible
Burnt Mountain, Cave Knoll
Burnt Mountain, Cave Knoll
I highly recommend you do this peak in late evening when the fading sunlight paints the best picture, all across the west faces of those Zion peaks and big walls. This view stands out to me as one of the most impressive sights of my life, and probably top 5 for summit views. Can’t say enough good about it.
5-3 Pictograph Mountain – 4217' With some unstable weather moving in, Yossi and I decided to withdraw slightly to lower ground where it was less likely to hit us. He came up with an idea (probably from Stav’s beta) for a long route to combine Pictograph and Snow Benchmark. I agreed under the condition that we try the alternate southern Tuacahn Canyon approach for Pictograph. This is a nice canyon with a trail.
From the pass, we scrambled exposed class 3 and 4 to get through complicated terrain to where the peak is. One move I did was overhanging with no feet, but really good handholds. Pictograph Mountain is like a stack of sandtone slabs which has been turned on it’s side, with different layers rising to different heights. You can choose the rib you want to walk/scramble. Great fun. We descended the standard route which only has a few easy moves of class 3.
Pictograph
Pictograph
summit
summit
Signal
Signal
folks coming up the standard way
folks coming up the standard way
standard route is also nice
standard route is also nice
Pictograph
Pictograph
Snow Benchmark – 5570' Walking up the sandy wash, we came to the base of the ridge Yossi had planned as our escape from Snow Canyon. He asked me if I know John Morrow. I told him I had planned to meet up with him a few weeks prior, but like every other time, things got changed around. John had been on this ridge, which is where Yossi first learned about it. It’s 99 percent trustworthy sandstone class 2 and 3, rising 1500 feet. Even though the ridge doesn’t go anywhere particular that most people would want to be, it is high quality and therefore recommended, especially if you’re just out for some fun.
the ridge is narrow part of the way
the ridge is narrow part of the way
From the top we worked north 3 miles. Yossi stuck to the rim, and I walked an old sandy ATV road which was unpleasant. We met on the summit. On our way east to the other car we had left at the Red Mountain trailhead, we stopped at a few gaps, overlooking the head of Snow Canyon.
Snow Benchmark
Snow Benchmark
Yossi at Snow Canyon overlook
Yossi at Snow Canyon overlook
Diamond Cinder Cone – 4875' I was pretty worn out. The day had been hot and the mileage long, but Yossi wouldn’t let me off easy without getting another peak. We did a nearby cinder cone. After that he went to do another peak and I went to meet Matt and Alexis. Unfortunately the weather the next two afternoons looked to be very bad.
Diamond
Diamond
Snow Canyon
Snow Canyon

RichP, NWtrax, GaliWalker
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostTue May 09, 2023 11:03 pm 
5-4 Spendlove Knoll – 6895' Soloed this brushy cinder cone, while Matt and Alexis climbed Tabernacle Dome.
Pine Valley Peak
Pine Valley Peak
Red Butte
Red Butte
Moqui Peak (Attempt) – 5600' Yossi came back to join us for Moqui which is 5th class, but the four of us were shut down by thunderstorms.
Moqui
Moqui
5-5 East Cinder Knoll – 3680' Matt and Alexis were doing a technical canyon including cold swimming on this day, so I went solo for small objectives around Hurricane. Started with a few old cinder cones. The first one had a trail.
Volcano Mountain – 4024' This one has an old road to the top, but it’s very loose and better to walk off the side of the old road.
Sandstone Mountain – 3840' This is a pretty little peak with some scrambling near the top.
Sandstone
Sandstone
Red Reef – 4240' Saved the best for last. Got off route briefly and ended up in a slot. Finding the correct exit point from the initial canyon, There’s one tricky move bordering on class 4, and even a rap bolt at the top of that. Reading the reports on Peakbagger, Mike Toffey suggests taking the northeast ridge the whole way is better than the standard ledge route. I decided to try it. Definitely more fun and less brush than the way I came back, but good to see both routes.
up the northeast ridge
up the northeast ridge
summit visible
summit visible
looking back up the ridge
looking back up the ridge
5-6 Was feeling lazy and really enjoying a book, so I didn't hike this day, even though the weather was prime. I'm getting old. See the grey in my beard? 5-7 Mountain of the Sun – 6722' While Matt and Alexis went for another canyon, I decided on Mountain of the Sun. Fun class 3 approach, linking up various non-technical canyons, and even walked on some snow part of the way. Managed to avoid getting feet wet in all the large puddles. Nice views of East Temple and Three Brothers. Also found petroglyphs.
Deertrap prow
Deertrap prow
Progeny
Progeny
East Temple
East Temple
go down this canyon after the 2nd pass
go down this canyon after the 2nd pass
didn't expect that
didn't expect that
I came to the ledge which crosses the lower east wall of the peak, except it’s not really a ledge. It’s more of a fin with a rounded top rib, detached from the peak, with exposure on both sides. Some trees grow on this rib. A poor, fat, slow-moving squirrel was also on the rib, and it did it’s very best to stay a safe distance ahead of me.
looking down the fin/rib
looking down the fin/rib
Mountain of the sun and slabs to cross
Mountain of the sun and slabs to cross
At the top of the rib, where it ties into the saddle between Twin Brothers and Mountain of the Sun, I crossed some wet slabs with bad run-out and found the start of the scramble route. Most of it is not too badly exposed, only a few spots, but it is loose and there are a few spots near the top that require extra care. Superb summit views overlooking the core of Zion. I was especially happy to see Angel’s Landing down there, which had been my first Zion peak, with 4 inches of snow on the ground.
steepish
steepish
exposure
exposure
Angels Landing
Angels Landing
heading down
heading down
looking back up at the rib with trees on it
looking back up at the rib with trees on it
Back down in the canyon, I encountered a couple of friendly ladies that offered me the quick way down, by use of their ropes. I didn’t have my harness. They offered to “rig something up”. Thanks, but no thanks. Bighorn Peak – 6205' On the way back I went up this little peak.
Deertrap
Deertrap
Progeny – 6275' It was hot, but having woken up well before dawn, to enter the park for free, I felt compelled to make the most of it, so I took one more summit for the road.
Progeny
Progeny
Roof, Hepworth, Destination
Roof, Hepworth, Destination
Bridge, East Temple
Bridge, East Temple
Scarlet Begonias, Ant Hill, Aires, South Ariel
Jenny at left
Jenny at left
5-8 The Watchman – 6545' Matt, who took an interest in Zion long before me, has always wanted to do The Watchman. If you're able to find the easiest route, it’s only got a couple class 5 sections with fixed lines. I brought that short rope again, just in case. The newer parking rules in Springdale are shameful. Every reasonable place to leave a car has signs, threatening to boot your car if you don’t pay a $25 per day fee. Non-compliance has always been my policy for parking and trailhead fees, with very few exceptions. I parked at the trailhead in front of a no parking sign.
The Watchman
The Watchman
Kinnesava, West Temple
Kinnesava, West Temple
heading up that way
heading up that way
exposed ledge system above
exposed ledge system above
We ascended a steep climber path to the base of an exposed class 3 ledge system, and then came to the gap between North and Middle Johnson. Getting down the far side of this gap involves more steep scrambling, but we managed to find the correct chimneys and ledges. Across the drainage, the complexities of the southwest side of The Watchmen were really incredible. So many hoodoos, and slick-rock bowls. Almost like a pinball machine, with pegs separated by channels. I had done my homework this time, so I knew where we needed to start. And Harlan’s track log prove a very reliable fall back.
complex route, 1st crux at lower right
complex route, 1st crux at lower right
chimneys down from the gap
chimneys down from the gap
nearing the first crux
nearing the first crux
After scrambling over the first hoodoo and walking a narrow ledge, we came to the base of the first crux. The fixed line was gone. Matt and Alexis free climbed this, but I was very happy to take a belay, because the harder moves are at the top. We proceeded up bowls, ledges and rock steps with a little bit of class 4. Most of the scrambling is easy, but it tends toward sustained, with some exposure, for several long stretches. Wherever the other fixed line used to be, it’s also gone. It’s possible that someone removed these because they were in bad shape, but instead I’d wager someone’s ego got the best of them.
fixed line is gone
fixed line is gone
Johnson looks nice
Johnson looks nice
more scrambling to the south ridge
more scrambling to the south ridge
After crossing hidden sandy flats choked with scrub oak, we were near the upper south ridge. The view back to Johnson is awe-inspiring for much of the route. This peak is aptly named too, because the summit oversees most of the main entrance to the main canyon. I used the rope once on the way up and we all used it in 3 spots on the way down, although since we had only 2 harnesses, Matt just used it as a hand line. 20ish meters was exactly long enough for our purposes.
on the ridge
on the ridge
Watchman summit
Watchman summit
Zion main canyon
Zion main canyon
East Temple to Roof
East Temple to Roof
gotta love your friends
gotta love your friends
glad I brought the rope
glad I brought the rope
back at the ledge system
back at the ledge system
classic Watchman profile
classic Watchman profile
Back at the car, I was pleased to find no ticket and no boot. moon.gif

belowfellow, Slim
NWtrax

NWtrax
PostThu May 11, 2023 8:27 am 
Spectacular photos and terrific reporting. Really great stuff, thank you!

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostThu May 11, 2023 9:20 am 
+1 on Canaan Mt., White Domes. Been up there a couple of times. Really good views across to Zion, and south. Yes, the Colorado City neighbors have different views on a lot of things.

Off trail rambler
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu May 11, 2023 5:39 pm 
I really enjoy your posts -- such a variety of places. Unfortunately, this time I couldn't punch my Bingo card of "been there" places. But added to my "think about going" list.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostFri May 12, 2023 5:19 pm 
This might be the prettiest desert pics you've posted! More good stuff, adam

Eric Eames
uww

uww
PostSat May 13, 2023 7:10 am 
Inspirational, thanks!

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostMon May 15, 2023 6:49 pm 
Gimpilator wrote:
I think we're looking at Crazy Quilt, Nippletop, Fin, Triplets, Lost and Jenny?

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.

Prosit
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostTue May 16, 2023 9:44 am 
Good catch John. Definitely right. Thanks and appreciation to everyone else who commented on this and other recent reports.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostTue May 16, 2023 7:04 pm 
Gimpilator wrote:
Good catch John. Definitely right. Thanks and appreciation to everyone else who commented on this and other recent reports.
You really got on some of the truely classic scrambles on this trip, Adam. Great stuff! Good photos to glean info on the cruxes on some ascents I hope to do someday. Thanks for them. Fixed lines seem to be fairly common on Class 3 or 4 scrambles within a 3 or 4 hour radius of LV. Personally I am glad that the NPS is removing them. Others will disagree I am certain.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.