Forum Index > Trail Talk > Pasayten Beta Request - Coleman Ridge/Cal Peak Off Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nethos

nethos
PostSat May 13, 2023 9:44 am 
Hey all, First time poster, long time lurker, hoping to get some info about a route. Some friends and I are planning a longer itinerary in the Pasayten for late June, early July. The classic Horseshoe/Cathedral loop with some addons. One alt we are looking at is what looks like a doable off-trail ridgewalk of Coleman Ridge to Cal Peak from the south saddle between Coleman Ridge and Remmel Mountain. It appears you could walk Coleman Ridge out to Cal Peak, and potentially bushwhack from there on the North side of the ridge back to the Chewuch River trail, either directly, or via the Wave Creek drainage. I'm curious if anyone has ever done this, or if it seems as doable to others as it does to me. The purpose would be to have an interesting ridgewalk hike and off trail explore without having to backtrack to the junction of Four Pt Creek and the Chewuch trail. The main concern I have is whether the amount of deadfall is as biblical as Andrews Creek or other nearby burn scars, and whether the Chewuch would be fordable at that point in the season. I realize there is deadfall visible on the north side of this drainage, but it doesn't appear to be quite as bad as Fire Creek/Andrews/Topaz Mtn drainages on satellite. For what it's worth, we have experience hiking off trail and would go prepared to turn back if conditions warranted. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message