Seen at Mt Rainier

pimaCanyon
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Aug 04, 2023 2:34 pm 
Live action trolling is the first thing that comes to mind when I see that. lol.gif There's a belief that you're not supposed to use a flash to take pictures of newborn babies because their eyes are still developing and might be too sensitive for the pulse of light. I don't think that's an issue with meadow grass.

Ski
thuja

thuja
PostSat Aug 05, 2023 2:09 pm 
I volunteer at MORA and that is baffling to me. There is an annoying upsurge in people doing photography shoots and weddings just about everywhere in the mountains, and the park is limited in its ability to say no (they were sued over this) but I can't imagine why someone would post a sign prohibiting the use of flashes. And yet it looks official. I'm on year 11 of volunteering for the park and every year something baffling occurs...

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Aug 05, 2023 3:07 pm 
Nothing about it on the MRNP meadow preservation page. But the video on plant restoration was interesting. I wonder where they get their seeds; it would be impossible to do on their own.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Aug 05, 2023 3:35 pm 
thuja wrote:
There is an annoying upsurge in people doing photography shoots and weddings just about everywhere in the mountains, and the park is limited in its ability to say no (they were sued over this) but I can't imagine why someone would post a sign prohibiting the use of flashes
Ah! Interesting! Because wedding photographers use flash. I bet that is a way to prohibit them without outright prohibiting them.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

Anne Elk
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Aug 05, 2023 3:46 pm 
Anyone with access to a laser printer could have made that sign. IME: serving as a volunteer at Mt Rainier in the winter I encountered other volunteers with very strong opinions about what necessary be done. One volunteer was absolutely adamant that we send a team into the group snow camping area Sundsy afternoon and collapse any igloos or snow caves. When I checked with the staff rangers, they were, well you could do that, but there are other things that would beca better use of your time, like sweeping the common routes and helping anyone having trouble. Another volunteer was hyperstressed overseeing the whole program as she believed that she needed to drive to Longmire every Sunday evening from Seattle to pick up the volunteer timesheets and report them. She was very very resistant to the idea that the NPS likely only needed those figures for an annual report or monthly at most. I was unable to convince her otherwise, but eventually got her to talk to volunteer coordinator staff person. She was absolutely shocked when the coordinator said an annual report was what they needed the records for and weekly reporting wasn't needed. So volunteers can form some wild ideas unsupported by facts or park service personnel running the program.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Aug 05, 2023 8:32 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Live action trolling is the first thing that comes to mind when I see that. lol.gif
Randito wrote:
Anyone with access to a laser printer could have made that sign.
Yeah, it looks official, but it's easy to make a sign like this that looks official. This is why cash has holograms etc, so you know it's legit. I think the park service would put more info on the sign. Especially given the confused.gif nature.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostSat Aug 05, 2023 8:48 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I think the park service would put more info on the sign. Especially given the confused.gif nature.
There is a pretty easy way to ascertain whether or not this is bs; call the NPS and ask to see the CFR closure document that lists such a prohibition. No Fed agency can just ‘put up a sign’ - there HAS to be a link to an underlying CFR or US code. (I’m 99.9999% sure a CFR that would allow the NPS to invoke such a prohibition doesn’t exist)

Cyclopath
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Aug 05, 2023 9:58 pm 
Like the way this says RCW 9A.36.011 along the bottom?
Seen on a Metro bus
Seen on a Metro bus

Josh Journey, idoru
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Aug 05, 2023 10:53 pm 
jinx'sboy wrote:
No Fed agency can just ‘put up a sign’ - there HAS to be a link to an underlying CFR or US code.
Sure, but zealous and misinformed volunteer "meadow rover" volunteers might. My cursory search of the CFRs only finds reference to flash photography in the context of hazardous gas environments where an old style "flash bulb" might ignite flammable gases.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Aug 06, 2023 1:27 am 
It’s a sign of the times.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Aug 06, 2023 8:31 am 
NPS regulations aren't necessarily codified - you're not going to find a CFR. They're in "The Superintendents Compendium".

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Aug 06, 2023 10:30 am 
It's POSSIBLE that some meadow plants are photoperiod sensitive and nighttime bursts of intense light could interrupt their natural cycles and interfere with their reproduction Or Flash photography is annoying at dusk when people are enjoying the view only to have it punctuated by bursts of light from tourists' cameras Or it's a spoof

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Aug 06, 2023 10:51 am 
I vote for 2 out of 3.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostSun Aug 06, 2023 6:47 pm 
Ski wrote:
NPS regulations aren't necessarily codified - you're not going to find a CFR. They're in "The Superintendents Compendium".
Incorrect. The Superintendents Compendium IS the summary of park specific rules implemented under the CFRs. Superintendents can implement closures/prohibitions, etc., just like a FS Forest Supervisor, but they HAVE to be grounded in existing regulation. https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-36/chapter-I. That was my point…a Park Superintendent can no more ‘make-up’ a prohibition by posting a sign, than can a volunteer.