Forum Index > Trail Talk > Road and trail status near Mazama 5/17/2023
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu May 18, 2023 4:02 pm 
We spent two nights/3 days car camping near the Robinson Creek TH above Mazama to check out road and trail conditions. The Harts Pass/Slate Peak road is ok up to about the 4 mile point, then there is a long/narrow washout down the middle of the road that could probably be crossed with a 4X4 if it were not so deep. If you got a tire down in there I doubt you could get out. So we turned around.
Goats on the Harts Pass road.
Goats on the Harts Pass road.
More down over the bank.
More down over the bank.
We also crossed the new foot log at Eureka Creek and hiked up the Pistol Pass trail for less than a mile. That trail to that point is still in great shape.
Looking down the Lost River from the Pistol Pass trail.
Looking down the Lost River from the Pistol Pass trail.
Nice new foot log across Eureka Creek. Thanks for the trail work!
Nice new foot log across Eureka Creek. Thanks for the trail work!
We spent most of the next day hiking up Robinson Creek. We crossed the first three bridges and turned around at Amy Creek just less than 5 miles up. The trail and bridges are in great shape, but after the third bridge parts of the trail are a flowing stream and you start hitting snow and brush. We met an outdoor NOLS guide who had just came all the way down from Robinson Pass. He said conditions are pretty bad up past Amy Creek and that it should be avoided until a little later.
Old trail sign.
Old trail sign.
First Robinson Cr bridge.
First Robinson Cr bridge.
Robinson Peak.
Robinson Peak.
HitTheTrail and Robinson.
HitTheTrail and Robinson.
Beauty Creek falls taken from the second bridge.
Beauty Creek falls taken from the second bridge.
Steve with the falls.
Steve with the falls.
The bootpath up Beauty Creek starts just past the bridge. It is easy to find if you are looking for it. There are signs of recent use.
The third bridge about half a mile down from Amy Creek.
The third bridge about half a mile down from Amy Creek.
After we got back from Robinson we took a short hike up the Methow River trail. The foot log just at the beginning is still in good shape But the sign says the first major bridge a few miles up is out and will be a problem until the water drops a bit.

BeyondLost, Anne Elk, sooperfly, snowshoeman, Bramble_Scramble, Get Out and Go, dave allyn, runup, zimmertr, Cyclopath, RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu May 18, 2023 6:19 pm 
I was just down the road from you, staying in Mazama smile.gif We visited the Eureka Creek bridge on Sunday so it sounds like our paths nearly crossed. Thanks for the pics of Beauty Creek Falls, I've been wondering what it looked like.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu May 18, 2023 6:44 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
I was just down the road from you, staying in Mazama smile.gif
I read your TR and said “darn, she beat me to it”, I have been planning a trip up there for some time. I have been intrigued by Robinson Cr. and Pistol Pass, but have never been there. Then the footlog crossing Eureka Cr sealed the deal. Steve has been everywhere but Robinson Cr. so he was in. We even helped rescue a gal camped next to us who had a really nice Shepard guard dog. Her battery died and we didn’t have jumpers. The NOLS guy we met on the trail did have jumpers, so we told him to check on her. When we got back to camp she was gone so we felt we made a small effort to help a “fellow” Hiker. I have always enjoyed your enthusiasm about hiking and read all of your TR’s. Cheers!

fourteen410
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostMon May 22, 2023 5:13 pm 
I enjoyed your post of an area where I used to hike and run almost daily. It has been almost three years since we moved from “Beyond Lost” to Whidbey Island. The big improvement is the Eureka Creek bridge! Thanks for the memories! smile.gif

seawallrunner, Mesahchie Mark, grannyhiker, RichP, sooperfly, snowshoeman
hbb

hbb
PostTue May 23, 2023 10:16 am 
Thanks for posting, I was just looking at this area on the map last night wondering about trail conditions.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue May 23, 2023 1:48 pm 
We were just wondering about your property Bob when we were in the area. Hope Whidbey is treating you well.

BeyondLost
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue May 23, 2023 4:14 pm 
Pistol Pass to Lake of the Woods looks interesting to me. But...10 miles and 4K vert on a dry trail? Sounds like you could get yourself in trouble. At least, I probably could.