Forum Index > Trail Talk > Veterans: Free Lifetime America the Beautiful Passes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Dec 15, 2022 8:49 pm 
It does not seem to have been noted here that on the occasion of Veterans Day this year, as of November 8, 2022, veterans and Gold Star families are eligible for free lifetime America the Beautiful passes. Veterans’ Lifetime Pass Announcement. “This is a small token of appreciation for veterans who have bravely dedicated their lives to defending our freedom.” “This pass conveys our immense gratitude and respect for those who have given so much,” said National Park Service Director Chuck Sams. “As a veteran, I know firsthand the many sacrifices that members of the Armed Forces and their families have made in service to our country, and I am thrilled that Gold Star Families and military veterans can now enjoy lifetime access to national parks and other public lands.”

Malachai Constant
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Dec 15, 2022 9:53 pm 
Well earned above all others, thank you for your service, it is not enough though.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Dec 16, 2022 11:44 am 
Ok so it keeps saying family's included .but it also says the veteran has to present the 🆔 at the entrance.. So basically your veteran family member has to be in the car and then the whole carload is allowed in ..right??

Dante

Dante
PostFri Dec 16, 2022 11:53 am 
That is correct forest gnome. I've been using the annual version of the America The Beautiful pass since it became free to veterans a few years ago. If the entrance to the federal land you are visiting is staffed, you just show them the card. The card also comes with a hanger, so you can display it instead of a permit (e.g., where a Northwest Forest Pass would otherwise be required).

schifferj

schifferj
PostMon Dec 19, 2022 8:31 am 
Does anyone know if these Veteran's lifetime passes get a 50% discount on NFS campground fees like the Golden Eagle Pass. My son-in-law, a veteran, just got his pass.

Dante

Dante
PostMon Dec 19, 2022 11:06 am 
You can find details on all the passes at https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostMon Dec 19, 2022 4:26 pm 
schifferj wrote:
Does anyone know if these Veteran's lifetime passes get a 50% discount on NFS campground fees like the Golden Eagle Pass. My son-in-law, a veteran, just got his pass.
The way I read it, the Veterans pass provides free use at “expanded amenity” sites, like USFS campgrounds. The NPS site Dante listed further refers one to an on-line USGS store - their FAQs state: “Covers entrance fees at U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and National Park Service sites and covers Standard Amenity Fees at Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation sites, and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers sites.” see: https://store.usgs.gov/faq

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostTue Dec 20, 2022 8:14 am 
catsp wrote:
jinx'sboy wrote:
"]The way I read it, the Veterans pass provides free use at “expanded amenity” sites
I believe this is incorrect.
You are correct….I was reading ‘standard’ in one place and then confusing it with ‘expanded’ elsewhere. The Lifetime Military pass would not get a 50% break at FS campgrounds, etc.

snoqpass

snoqpass
PostTue Jan 17, 2023 6:36 pm 
"The pass does not cover expanded amenity fees such as camping, tours or special recreation permits; reservation fees and fees for organized groups or concession-operated facilities or activities." It covers your entrance fee to these sites

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jan 18, 2023 8:01 am 
https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/veterans-and-gold-star-families-free-access.htm
Quote:
What is covered by the free Military Pass program? The Gold Star voucher and Military Lifetime Pass cover entrance fees at national parks and national wildlife refuges as well as standard amenity fees (day use fees) at national forests and grasslands and on lands managed by the National Park Service, US Fish and Wildlife Service, US Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation and US Army Corps of Engineers. What is not covered by the free Military Pass program? The pass does not cover expanded amenity fees such as camping, tours or special recreation permits; reservation fees and fees for organized groups or concession-operated facilities or activities.

snoqpass

snoqpass
PostFri May 19, 2023 9:56 pm 
Got mine the other day, pretty easy gave them the expired yearly pass and showed them my veterans ID and a few minutes later I’m golden

Randito
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri May 19, 2023 10:52 pm 
Thank you for your service!

ozzy