Forum Index > Trail Talk > New food storage rules in effect, MBSNF
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Apr 14, 2023 12:38 pm 
Not sure exactly what they mean by "acceptably stored," but it might lead to bear canister req'ts in the future; this is in effect until April 15, 2025 Link with map (spoiler alert: the entire MBSNF) I expect a lot of messaging about food storage by staff, volunteer rangers, and agency partners (MTS Greenway, The Mountaineers, WTA, etc)

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

The Ghost of Bear 380, ejain, Slugman, dylpickle, RumiDude  zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Apr 14, 2023 1:45 pm 
Hopefully "Acceptably Stored" will include Ursacks or my no-cache food plans for my Glacier Peak circumnavigation this summer just became a lot more difficult.

Flickr | Strava

InFlight, idoru
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Apr 14, 2023 2:06 pm 
You linked to exhibit A. It says there is an exhibit B that defines terms such as “acceptably stored”.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Apr 14, 2023 2:12 pm 
If your Ursack is a model approved by the IGBC, you should be fine. I haven't kept up recently, so I just checked the IGBC list: https://igbconline.org/programs/bear-resistant-products/ Two Ursack models are listed. There seem to be a lot fewer approved containers since the last time I looked 5 years ago! North Cascades National Park also goes by the IGBC approved list. https://www.nps.gov/noca/planyourvisit/backcountry-food-canister-policy.htm Good question: Where is Exhibit B?

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey

Slugman, idoru
idoru

idoru
PostFri Apr 14, 2023 3:15 pm 
Doesn't look like the forest service has uploaded Exhibit B yet... https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/mbs/alerts-notices/?aid=79673

Slugman
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Apr 14, 2023 3:51 pm 
They did post this blurb: Date(s): Apr 14, 2023 The Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest announced today that a food storage order will be signed and go into effect this Saturday, April 15. This order requires visitors to the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest (MBSNF) to store food items in a “bear resistant manner” and to properly dispose of wildlife attractants. The food storage order is intended to reduce human/wildlife conflicts resulting from readily available food sources and other attractants.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Apr 14, 2023 8:12 pm 
I seriously doubt they will require any canisters or Ursack with so little notice. "store in a bear-resistant manner" is probably simply, "don't be a slob." My guess is that they may require people to clean up after themselves and if they're really feeling aggressive, hang food by next year. Which basically means nothing if there's no one to enforce it. But if someone were around to enforce it, you may get a talking to, or if a ticket-writing ranger were around, maybe a ticket, but I doubt even that at this point. after a 2 year "demonstration" of appropriate food storage, in 2025, perhaps they may require cannisters, etc. and if were really flush with dough, installed wires at select camps, or food boxes. But if Exhibit B includes canister, ursack, wires, etc. etc, that would mean i'm wrong. Just a guess. hopefully partner organizations will message heavily; then that, too, can be ignored.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Apr 14, 2023 8:22 pm 
It would be super cool to get some funding to add Wonderland-style hang poles at a couple dozen lakes! When I die I want my money to go towards funding something like that.

mosey

mosey
PostFri Apr 14, 2023 8:40 pm 
There was the issue with middle fork Snoqualmie bears eating off of the campground picnic tables when people were leaving stuff out, and those were all closed last year. Hopefully it's just a measure that's solely used in campgrounds to prevent the common campsite picnic table sprawl all day and night. Probably also related to the bearproof cans recently seen up Bessemer road, all to deal with last year's aggressive bear issue.

kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Apr 14, 2023 8:43 pm 
This is for everyone, right? Car campers, picnickers...so yeah I doubt there'd be any enforcement when we're hiking but if a camp host notices people leaving food all over their (drive in) campground site, I suppose this gives them the ability to say, here are the rules... This makes me think about the guy--he was 70 if he was a day--I talked to at Lake Sally Ann who complained about the mice running in his sleeping bag all night. He didn't use a tent, and, it turned out, kept his food in his sleeping bag with himself.

zimmertr
Damian

Damian
PostFri Apr 14, 2023 9:45 pm 
As a young man my buddies and I adopted a No Food policy for hikes. This was more about being tough (and stupid) than being eco-wise. We got hungry and miserable. The policy didn’t last long. But it seems the iron will of these ambitious young men must not be forgotten. Or not.

sarbar
ALW Hiker
lakebagger

ALW Hiker
lakebagger
PostSat Apr 15, 2023 9:57 am 
Regarding the Middle Fork area - we toured through the campground yesterday after a hike at Quartz Ridge. All the camp sites have new heavy duty bear boxes.
There are also bear-proof garbage cans everywhere. I spoke to a FS worker at the Middle Fork Trailhead about the campground. He said they are planning to open it the week before Memorial Day, but the Dept. of Wildlife folks were still evaluating if there were any other measures they should take to minimize the bear/human interactions. He also said that dispersed camping along the roads in the Middle Fork would probably be restricted like it was last year.

mosey, Randito, zimmertr, Now I Fly, RichP
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Apr 15, 2023 11:19 am 
Front country camping is relatively easy to develop some kind of plan and isn't really surprising - it doesn't require a lot of change for campers, and most shouldn't be taken aback and change how they do things. The regulation of food storage for back country travel is the biggest bit of news. Well....maybe not - depends on what the elusive Exhibit B contains. I wonder when they're going to let us know? This thing has been in effect for nearly 12 hours now. embarassedlaugh.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Apr 15, 2023 3:38 pm 
It says a violation can be a $5,000 fine and six months in jail.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSat Apr 15, 2023 6:42 pm 
Makes sense that the MidFork campgrounds got those bear boxes. Wasn't that area closed to camping and hiking at some point last year due to a problem bear? Maybe I'm misremembering?