Forum Index > Photography Talk > Looking for photo of Sahale Arm for woodworking project
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostThu May 25, 2023 2:36 pm 
I am making a box (4'x2'x3') for my daughter to keep her folding kayak in her small apartment. The goal is to make recognizable the view from Sahale Glacier Camp since it was the first trip my daughter remembers seeing the mountains layered out like that. I plan to decorate the front by layering wood veneers in various species to reflect the layers you see in the mountains: Distance Species subject Close Cherry rocks in immediate foreground Foreground Sapele Sahale Arm Middle Walnut Johannesburg Mt. & adjacent peaks Distant Purpleheart one layer of peaks beyond Infinity Maple sky The challenge in selecting a photo is finding one from a viewpoint high enough to see some distant peaks but not enough to overly complicate the task - and with a view of the arm that will make it recognizable. All I need are the outlines so the photo does not have to be stunning - just taken from the right spot on a clear day. I tried generating one with Peakfinder but unfortunately it tends to round off peaks and I could not make it work. I searched our photos and google photos, Pbase, etc. and haven't found just the right image. I plan to use the photo to generate an outline to cut the veneers to then bond each layer to the front of the box. If Doubtful lake is in the photo I can probably make that work by inlaying some Maple to represent it. Here is an example and why it is not quite right:
This would work great if taken a bit more to the left and if the distant peaks were distinct enough to outline. Thanks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostThu May 25, 2023 9:55 pm 
20 years ago. Smokey.

Bowregard
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message