Forum Index > Trail Talk > Lake Ohara Alpine Circuit exposure
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostSun Jun 25, 2023 4:49 pm 
Somehow I scored a Lake Ohara campsite reservation this year and my wife and I hope to do the Alpine Circuit and Lake McArthur. But after seeing some of the trip reports I can't tell if the terrain is suitable for us. We are hikers (not climbers) so other than a mild scramble we avoid exposure that requires climbing. I have seen some descriptions of the Huber Ledges that make it seem very sketchy for us and others that appear fine. Can anybody compare the Alpine Circuit exposure to a Cascades trail that we might know or be able to test for comparison? We can always reverse course if the going gets sketchy but with access so limited I would rather plan to skip that section if it looks like we might have to. The snow should not be an issue by the time we will be in the area.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jun 25, 2023 6:21 pm 
Bowregard
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Jun 25, 2023 7:38 pm 
Bowregard - One of my regrets is that I never got up there and did the highline trail when I lived in Banff. How many nights reservation do you have? I'd definitely do as much of it as you're comfortable with, especially if you'll be there for more than one night; the views are fabulous.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

Bowregard
rossb

rossb
PostSun Jun 25, 2023 7:38 pm 
I did it with my wife years ago, but we turned back. I've done a lot more scrambling than she has. I then went up to Abbott Pass by myself. I don't remember that being particularly scary, but there was a ton of loose scree. This is my report from back then: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rossbl/sets/72157603231925138/. My wife and I more recently stayed by Lake Ohara and this time we didn't consider going up there. There is a ton of great hiking in the area you can do on nice trails.

Bowregard
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Jun 25, 2023 7:48 pm 
My near 40 year old memory of Lake Ohara is there are so many great trails there. I did not do Huber Ledges. +1 on rossb's take on Abbott Pass. Memory has the hut very eroded in a recent report.

Off trail rambler

Bowregard
Songs2

Songs2
PostSun Jun 25, 2023 9:15 pm 
One can still visit the site, but the Abbot Pass hut came down in June 2022. Sad! CBC with some pictures of dismantling Also "after" photo Gripped article, more detailed discussing slope erosion (climate change) and masonry cracks, with stark "before" photo. I did not get up to alpine circuit. Some much younger and stronger hikers did; they found it spicy but manageable.

Bowregard, Anne Elk
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostSun Jun 25, 2023 9:29 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Bowregard - One of my regrets is that I never got up there and did the highline trail when I lived in Banff. How many nights reservation do you have? I'd definitely do as much of it as you're comfortable with, especially if you'll be there for more than one night; the views are fabulous.
We have 2 non-consecutive nights reserved (1 day in between). The reservation system was really strange and for some reason we could not book more than one night but we lucked out and the day after we leave another night popped up. Unfortunately, the timing of the second night creates conflicts so as of right now we are planning on only one night unless we can figure out a way to make it work. Scree on a narrow sloped ledge would be a bad combination for us.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Jun 25, 2023 9:59 pm 
That's one of my favorite places. You are going to have such a great time!

Bowregard
Songs2

Songs2
PostSun Jun 25, 2023 10:54 pm 
Bowregard, Here is the Alltrails description. I've thought of joining the Alpine Club of Canada specifically to stay at the Elizabeth Parker Hut at Lake O'Hara, but summer bookings are through a lottery system.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostMon Jun 26, 2023 8:52 pm 
Thanks for all the replies. I hope I have not been overly optimistic about the Alpine Circuit. On paper the distance and elevation gain looks possible for us but of course it is always the details that can get you in trouble. We spent a few weeks in the Canadian Rockies last summer and were able to do Edith Cavell, Wilcox Pass, Iceline, Sentinel Pass, etc. but could not get a reservation into Lake O'Hara (even just the bus). I was surprised that we got in this year.

Anne Elk
rossb

rossb
PostTue Jun 27, 2023 8:15 am 
Bowregard wrote:
I hope I have not been overly optimistic about the Alpine Circuit.
Based on my old notes (which I referenced) you will be OK either way. It doesn't get easier, so if it feels too exposed, you will simply turn back and do something else (that also happens to be spectacular).

Anne Elk, Bowregard
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostSat Jul 15, 2023 9:35 pm 
We received the following denial for our request for the 8AM Lake O'Hara bus (they switched us to 10:30): "Unfortunately, our 8.30am is full, these seats are taken mainly by our day users to allow them to have enough time to enjoy the area. With even a 1-night reservation this will allow you plenty of time to explore the trails, I’d recommend checking out the McArthur area on you 1st day then possibly doing the Alpine Circuit on your second day – Please note our last returning bus is at 6.30pm so you will have the full day to enjoy Lake O’Hara!" We were considering hiking to Lake McArthur on one of the days but the videos I have seen show a lot of talus and a scramble on that route . I see on Alltrails there is a high and low route to Lake McArthur. I am going to assume one of those is easier since the Lake McArthur trail is rated as easier. Any other options worth considering if we decide the Alpine Circuit is a bit much for us?

MtnManic

MtnManic
PostSun Jul 16, 2023 4:57 pm 
I've done MacArthur both routes and they're fine. Lake Oesa is also pretty nice.

Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time. Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.

Bowregard
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Jul 16, 2023 6:07 pm 
I've good memories of Abbott Pass for its views - if not fogged in. Definitely a long slog up a slope of scree and small talus (definition I favor is talus is basketball size and larger). Not a good route for running shoes. Gripped article that Songs2 posted has a video of hike up to About Pass (and the now gone hut). Gives you a good idea what that slope is like.

Off trail rambler