Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Wow 6.6.23
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostFri Jun 09, 2023 7:22 am 
Finally...this was a tough one for me. In 2019 I attempted it early November from the West Side Road, lost my Whippet in some dense brush schwacking to reach the upper meadows, and found fresh snow on the steep meadows. I turned back here as the days were short and finding that Lake Allen "trail" in the dark was not appealing. Made another half hearted attempt with a buddy the next year but he had concerns so we turned back. And a few weeks ago I scouted the route from the Boundary Trail (Nisqually entrance) and turned around below the ridge because of snow. I opted for the WSR/Lake Allen approach again as I was familiar. This is an unrelenting climb...6.7 miles RT with 5000' of elevation gain/loss, at least according to my track on Strava. This time I was able to proceed up the upper meadows (mtn goat sighting) and easily gain the ridge to Wow. As I crested and Rainier came into view, the words that escaped my mouth were "Holy Crap!" The mountain is massive from this vantage point and you can gaze down on the course of Tahoma Creek from its origins. After a break on the summit (6040') I reluctantly retraced my steps back down. The Lake Allen trail is in poor shape and is easily lost and reacquired in the descent. I found myself on my backside a few times sliding down the hill and I won't repeat the epithets that spewed forth from my pie hole. When I finally regained my van on the road I felt completely worked, but very glad not to have to go up there again. This was #67 on my Rainier 100 list. The next day I recovered by biking the West Side Road and Paradise from Cougar Rock, a delightful and zen like day for 60 miles and 6600' of no sidehilling on my MTB pedals.
Flowers below Wow
Flowers below Wow
Wow ridge above
Wow ridge above
Lake Allen below
Lake Allen below
Goat below Wow
Goat below Wow
Upper meadows
Upper meadows
Wow ridge
Wow ridge
Rainier from Wow
Rainier from Wow
Mt St Helens
Mt St Helens
Tahoma:So Tahoma glaciers
Tahoma:So Tahoma glaciers
Mt Adams
Mt Adams
Tahoma Creek
Tahoma Creek

I desire medium danger williswall.com

peter707, NWtrax, Pef, Now I Fly
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostFri Jun 09, 2023 7:37 am 
Great effort, and Wow is sure worth it! It's a bummer we seem to have lost NF 59. That was a nice way to approach the big Wow. also, it looks like your photo may have had issues on the upload? Yeah, I'm having the same issue this morning.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message