Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sacajawea Peak (OR), 5/24/23
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gymcarrey

gymcarrey
PostSat May 27, 2023 4:59 pm 
I've been meaning to do another trip to the Wallowas ever since backpacking there in fall of 2021. Last time we camped at Ice Lake, day hiked Matterhorn Peak, climbed up Craig Mountain before traversing over to Razz Lake and over to the Lakes basin area, where we set up camp and then went up Eagle Cap for sunset. We were tempted to walk the ridge between Matterhorn and Sacajawea but clouds were rolling in on the Sacajawea side so I figured we would take a rain check. We did a quick trip this time, unsure of what the conditions would be. We planned to go up Sacajawea but if it didn't look promising, Chief Joseph was our back up plan, which is easier access. We ended up lucky, with perfect weather and great snow conditions. And a dry ridge up to the summit. Hurricane Creek Trailhead was a quick drive from Enterprise, with some nice car camping options near the creek. I couldn't find a lot of info about the creek crossing, and thought it could be the crux of a trip like this in spring. On Tuesday afternoon (5/23), we hiked up the hurricane creek trail towards the hurricane rapids to do some recon. Along the way we followed the "eagle cap" (thorp creek?) trail on Gaia to see what the creek crossing looked like. The log crossing wasn't bad but took a little balance and confidence. We walked over it and back once and then headed up to the rapids, which made for a great afternoon hike. We started up at first light. The climb is pretty straightforward. The trail is a decent boot path/trail up with many blowdowns that are manageable but slow the pace. Patchy snow starts at 7400’ and is full snow in the basin below the east ridge up Sac. An early start made for hard packed, solid snow. Sun softened the snow by midday and we post holed a bit in the basin on our way out. Snowshoes could be helpful depending on temps but maybe not necessary. Ridge up to Sacajawea is dry. Mountain forecast predicted the summit to be in the 20s but it wasn’t so cold. We lucked out with warm sun, light wind, and clear views in every direction. If you’re looking at traversing over to Matterhorn or the Hurwal Divide areas, the ridges looked mostly dried out. Thought about it a lot on my drive back. winksmile.gif
Great views of Sacajawea towards the beginning of the hike.
Great views of Sacajawea towards the beginning of the hike.
Looking towards Sawtooth and Twin Peaks
Looking towards Sawtooth and Twin Peaks
Log crossing
Log crossing
Hurricane rapids were rad!
Hurricane rapids were rad!
Sunset
Sunset
Daybreak
Daybreak
Heading up
Heading up
Full snow in the basin. Nice and compacted.
Full snow in the basin. Nice and compacted.
Gnarly avalanche from what didn't seem like a very steep gully
Gnarly avalanche from what didn't seem like a very steep gully
Starting up the dry ridge
Starting up the dry ridge
Hurwal
Hurwal
Matterhorn to the right
Matterhorn to the right
Top of the world
Top of the world

SeanSullivan86, contour5, jaysway, ChinookPass, mosey, ALW Hiker, John Mac, Tom, KascadeFlat, LukeHelgeson, RichP  awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSat May 27, 2023 6:55 pm 
Love that area. Thanks for the report, and nice early season ascent. 👍

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat May 27, 2023 8:28 pm 
Nice Sagawea is higher but matterhorn cooler asit is marble limestone (more caves and features ) sag is more of a choss pile.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat May 27, 2023 9:44 pm 
That's some beautiful country over there. Your photography shows it well. ~z

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostSun May 28, 2023 6:31 pm 
Nice work! Eagle Cap is the best part of Oregon. smile.gif That trail to the east ridge of Sacajawea is indeed the Thorp Creek trail - I'm not sure if the FS actually maintains it or if it's semi abandoned now. A fire hit the Hurricane Creek area in 2016(?) and torched a little bit of the hill, though the trail was totally fine (if slightly overgrown) the last time I was out there. Log crossing looks the same as it did from this 2017 pic:
If you get back there, the ridge between Matterhorn and Sacajawea is a blast.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
gymcarrey

gymcarrey
PostSun May 28, 2023 9:37 pm 
Your name looked familiar and sure enough I used your beta on my previous trip when traversing over from Ice to Razz Lake so thank you for that. I’ll probably be heading back there again sometime in the next few months and will definitely check out that ridge. agree.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Jul 15, 2023 7:01 pm 
Nice, we plan to head that way this coming Tuesday, my friend might try to climb Sacajawea. Anyone know the best route to get there from Marysville-Everett? I assume one would want to avoid Portland?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
neek

neek
PostSat Jul 15, 2023 8:53 pm 
Nice report, I missed it earlier.
Chief Joseph wrote:
Anyone know the best route to get there from Marysville-Everett? I assume one would want to avoid Portland?
Just got back from the area a couple hours ago. Google took us some weird way to avoid construction but I think the most direct highway route through Tri Cities is best: I90 - I82 - I182 - WA12 - (bypass Walla Walla however you like) - OR11 - OR204 - OR82

Chief Joseph