Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > California Is Becoming Uninsurable
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 31, 2023 12:42 pm 
State Farm will no longer provide home insurance to new California customers, the company announced on Friday, citing “historic increases in construction costs outpacing inflation, rapidly growing catastrophe exposure, and a challenging reinsurance market.” In other words, it’s getting too expensive to rebuild homes lost to the state’s increasingly destructive wildfires. https://www.curbed.com/2023/05/state-farm-california-insurance-climate-change.html We have a problem with fire. Will this happen here?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed May 31, 2023 3:32 pm 
It has already happened here, but at a smaller scale. There was a front page story some time ago about a house above Wenatchee--a very nice house, that had the fire insurance dropped, and they were having difficulty finding a replacement. Dunno if they ever did find any insurance. Have heard rumors of the same over in the Methow, but can't confirm it, along with rates being jacked up. I'd expect the same around Leavenworth, if it hasn't already started there. It is number one on the Most Likely To Burn town list. Or was.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostWed May 31, 2023 9:26 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Have heard rumors of the same over in the Methow, but can't confirm it, along with rates being jacked up.
I believe there was a small ‘community’ of homeowners a couple years ago in some planned development - Im thinking it was above Winthrop, maybe even Lost River - who were threatened with cancellation of Insurance policies unless they, collectively, dealt with some vegetation mgmt., access issues (turning radius, wider driveways, etc) near their small development. Never heard how this ended. I saw this information in a Guardian article lat week. A year ago I asked my local insurance agent about - “yeah, it’s happening”, she said. I wonder…..Are we going to end up with some Federally backed system like ‘Flood Insurance’ - where the Feds assume all the risk and private companies reap the benefits?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed May 31, 2023 10:30 pm 
jinx'sboy wrote:
who were threatened with cancellation of Insurance policies unless they, collectively, dealt with some vegetation mgmt.
State Farm did that in my case after my Mom passed and I took over the property...wasn't a problem before but they wanted me to trim any trees close to structures or they would cancel my coverage, then take pictures of the work done and send to them. Wasn't a big deal since I needed to do that anyway, and will continue to do more. I was a bit irritated though that they sent someone out to take photos of my property, while ON my property without previously notifying me. I also thought their rates were a bit high @ about 1200 per year, so I went with Farmer's for about $650 per and was able to to take and text photos to them of my property. So it goes aye.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Jun 01, 2023 1:05 am 
The article misses State Farm’s reason for not taking new accounts, and presumably going to non-renewal soon. State Farm in CA has been intending to raise residential rates to reflect wildland fire risks. A lot. So residents complained to CA govt. Not many insurance companies vs lots of rural homeowners. Unfair that my rates are X times what someone that insurance company believes are at only moderate risk from group fires. So govt stopped insurance companies from doing so a couple weeks ago. The effect is that instead of risk spreading, at most basic the general idea of insurance, the insurance system, through the companies, are required to have lower risk policy holders subsidize higher risk policy holders who own homes that are more likely to burn. Insurance rates will not be as different as a rational analysis might arrive at. The reaction by State Farm has bounced all over various media, including internationally. Only on LinkedIn did I see timely discussion of these two connected events as they happened. Fire insurance in the sticks has alway been more expensive than somewhere with hydrants subject to ITM with adequate fire flow connected to a real water system, a staffed engine a couple miles this way, another a couple miles that way, and so on. It’s just that in the current fire regime the insurance companies claim the difference in rates is less than the difference in peril should reflect. Expect more to follow the market leader.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Jun 01, 2023 8:16 am 
Quote:
I believe there was a small ‘community’ of homeowners a couple years ago in some planned development - Im thinking it was above Winthrop, maybe even Lost River - who were threatened with cancellation of Insurance policies unless they, collectively, dealt with some vegetation mgmt., access issues (turning radius, wider driveways, etc) near their small development. Never heard how this ended.
I remember reading that this happened in Edelweiss. It wouldn't surprise me if it also happened in Lost River. The bummer about State Farm pulling out is that they, reliably, don't discriminate against dog breeds when insuring homeowners. I think they may be the only large company like that. Most insurers have a list of dog breeds they prohibit. As a longtime animal shelter volunteer I can tell you this is a big deal in terms of people having to surrender dogs if they can't find a rental or can't insure a home due to their dog. Note the "State Farm is different" section: https://www.forbes.com/advisor/homeowners-insurance/banned-dog-breed-lists/

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Jun 01, 2023 9:09 am 
This is great news. The US subsidizes rural home ownership over urban home ownership in a variety of ways, home insurance being one of them. The US ranks second in average house size on Earth, and has the most sprawled out, least dense metro areas on Earth. Every year, Americans continue to flock to the wildland urban interface at an alarming rate. If everyone in the world lived the way Americans live it is game over for humanity. Now that insurance companies are starting to refuse to insure homes that sprawl into the wildland urban interface, it will force Americans to move towards the urban core, where they should be living (becuase density is more sustainable than sprawl). I expect the change to be slow as everyone just has to has a home in the woods with a view.
jinx'sboy wrote:
I wonder…..Are we going to end up with some Federally backed system like ‘Flood Insurance’ - where the Feds assume all the risk and private companies reap the benefits?
This is what I fear. The people who live in, and are moving to, the wildland urban interface are predominately wealthy and white, which means they have political power. I fear this group will convince the government to get poor people in the cities to subsidize the affluent's Methow Valley, high fire risk, lifestyle. This will perpetuate Americas sprawl into the wildland urban interface, exasperating the problem.

Ski, Secret Agent Man
kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Jun 01, 2023 3:29 pm 
I wonder what changes we'll see as the Boomers die off or can't live in their rural homes anymore and my (smaller) generation (X) grows older. There are so many retirees in big houses all over rural areas in WA. Are people my age going to want a 5 bedroom house in Kitsap Co or Camano Island or Port Ludlow etc etc? I have noticed a difference between the attitudes my older relatives/in laws have about moving into fire prone areas and I wonder if younger generations will be doing this at the same rate. (I notice that article used numbers from 2010-2020 so it seems like Boomer retirements are likely a big part of that). I have an older relative in CO who plans to move to a rural mountain-y area, because he's always wanted to, and that's that. We on the other hand declined to buy the wonderful cabin on the Methow River we rent regularly because it seems inevitable it will burn or flood, and I don't think my risk averse calculation here is exceptional among my group.