Forum Index > Trip Reports > Static Peak, Sultan Basin 5/30
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostWed May 31, 2023 8:39 pm 
Static Peak aka Static Point, 4880+ (Sultan Basin) Last year I headed up here as well but ran out of energy and time to complete Static. See TR here for some route details. I knew there was a possibility of clouds today but thought they might burn off by the time I reached the summit. I headed up the same route as before. I did stay close to the creek gully the first 500ft which I think was better. The brush around the 4k mark was a bit damp being more exposed to the misting fog. At around 4500ft is where the "fun" begins. The west ridge slopes get steeper and cliffier. I took my time going up. I was usually just a bit left of the ridge crest or on the crest. Used the ice axe for extra security going up some of the damp, duffy slopes. Basically it is mix of steep slopes/trees and some rocky scrambling to just below the open rocky top. Nothing worse than class 3. Summit is all rock and would have nice 360views. For a sub 5k peak it's not a bad summit block! Hung out on top in the swirling mist for several hours waiting for clearing. As time passed it warmed and even cleared a bit but no real views. At least it dried things out. However, it became clear the fog wouldn't dissipate for a bit longer. I didn't want to head out too late and headed down at 2:30. Just to be extra careful, I used a short handline(since I had one) on a few of the steep duffy spots getting off the final steeps. From 4500ft the trip down was uneventful except rounding a corner and coming face to face with a nice black bear 20ft away. It turned around, ran back, and up slope a bit. We looked at each other for a second more, and I just hastened down slope and behind trees. Views would have been nice, but Static is a worthy objective. Maybe I'll check out Prospect in the basin next.
Misty west ridge
Misty west ridge
misty views
misty views
misty views
misty views
leaving summit
leaving summit
upper part of west ridge
upper part of west ridge
start of final scrambly bit
start of final scrambly bit
Stickney on way down
Stickney on way down
looking toward Static Peak from road on way out
looking toward Static Peak from road on way out

KascadeFlat, Nancyann, neek, ~*CutebutChossy69*~, Fred Beavon, yukon222, awilsondc, contour5, raising3hikers, jsb, Gimpilator, John Mac, mosey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostThu Jun 01, 2023 7:15 pm 
Nice dood!! We were just looking at Static the other day from Bald mtn east!! Nice effort and I love your selection of summits. rocker.gif cheers!

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin

Justus S.
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Jun 02, 2023 10:40 am 
Interesting. When I was hiking in that area more often Static was high on my list. But I thought it was a roped climb -- there must be some routes on it. Back then it was possible to bike out most of the old road to the Kromona Mine area. Is that how you approached?

Justus S.

Justus S.
PostFri Jun 02, 2023 11:36 am 
Puzzlr, I didn't take the Kromona mine road. I took the old road now footpath for the Static Point climbing area. Footpath starts a short ways after the main Spada Lk road crosses the South Fork Sultan. It is on the east side of the river where as the Kromona road is on the west. I haven't ever ventured all the way to the climbing area slabs. This route jumps off before getting there. The climbing area is mid mountain, and I think routes stop around the 4k mark well below the summit.