Forum Index > Gear Talk > Lightweight hiking pants..
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jun 19, 2023 11:07 pm 
I have only one pair of ultralight hiking pants left and they are nearly shredded after a futile bushwhack a few years ago while attempting Helena lake. I really like them so I sewed them up but part of my butt is still showing so...I need recommendations for a replacement pair. I can rarely hike in shorts as it seems any little brush against vegetation causes irritation in my legs. The pair that I had were Cabella's Guidewear and the convertible type. I checked their website with no luck, these are probably 10 years old. I am speaking of the lightest possible for the hottest days, and don't really care if they are standard or convertible.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Jun 20, 2023 6:24 am 
OR Ferrosi pants are pretty dang good. I love them. Be aware they are slim cut; of course that suits my skinny ass and legs. They dry really fast without wrinkles. I also use them for international travel as they wash easily and dry fast. So yea, also cool to wear in hot humid weather. Rumi PS: I also have a very good pair of super lightweight pants by Royal Robbins but I can't remember the name.

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jun 20, 2023 9:41 am 
Bargainhunter

Bargainhunter
PostTue Jun 20, 2023 11:55 am 
REI Sahara (zip off) Pants

nuclear_eggset, Cyclopath
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostWed Jun 21, 2023 1:54 pm 
+1 on what Rumi said about OR Ferossi pants. I have two pair of both pants and shorts. And a hoodie parka of the same material. Drys fast, remarkably tough, reasonably breathable. Notably good pants in light rain. Only glitch I see in the pants is that waist is kind of un snug. Functionally fine in the backcountry I would just hesitate to wear them around town with a shirt tucked in. OR website says they have addressed the waist issue.

Off trail rambler
Dante

Dante
PostThu Jun 22, 2023 10:02 am 
I love OR Ferossi Pants! Lightweight, dry fast, turn a light rain, protect from sun, bugs, and abrasion. I also love the fact that they offer so many waist and inseam sizes and so many unobtrusive colors. They're also available in "Transit", convertible, and jogger versions.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jun 22, 2023 10:35 am 
When OR has their annual warehouse sale always pick up a pair or two.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jun 22, 2023 8:18 pm 
Those Ferrosi's sound like a must have. But even though I can, no way I will pay 100 bucks for a pair of pants, lol. I did find some on Amazon for 50 but they were 36 waist, I am a 34. I will keep trying, thanks for the info.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Jun 23, 2023 8:50 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I really like them so I sewed them up but part of my butt is still showing so...I need recommendations for a replacement pair.
Replacement pair of butt cheeks so when viewed through the holes, they look awesome?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

Chief Joseph
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Jun 23, 2023 10:22 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
no way I will pay 100 bucks for a pair of pants, lol.
Yea, I remember buying a pair of Levi's for less than $4 so the thought of paying over $50 hurts. But that is just the way it is. Sometimes ya just gotta update your cost analysis. I bought my pants at Brown's here in Port Angeles. They often have a 20% off sale of their pants. Maybe you can find something similar near you. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jun 23, 2023 11:26 am 
I have bought nearly all my hiking pants in thrift stores, but the lighter ones are harder to find. The Cabella's guide pants I referred to I think I paid about 30 bucks but that was 12 years ago or more. I did find one site with a pair of Ferrosi's and was ready to pull the trigger at around $54....then they added $10 shipping and I was like arrrrrrgh! Btw, Kim, I think my behind looks pretty good for an old guy although gravity has affected it some.

Ski
><((((>

Ski
><((((>
PostFri Jun 23, 2023 11:36 am 
Years ago, I purchased a pair of super lightweight nylon pants made by "Ex Officio". absolutely loved them. have never found anything exactly like them - full length, not "convertible, not an overabundance of pockets. Right now Ex Officio has something that looks similar for $17 bucks, but it looks to be available only in "Walnut Brown" with a 28-inch waist if I just go to google and look for "lightweight hiking pants", I find these for $40 bucks, quite a bit less than the REI "Sahara" convertible. I bought a pair of those Sahara pants a few years back - they are everything I expected them to be.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

Chief Joseph
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jun 23, 2023 12:01 pm 
Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jun 23, 2023 1:38 pm 
I actually tried to order those from Steepandcheap, but every time I click on "add to cart" it say's "Please select an option" when I already did that...double checked, tried several times and different sizes, etc, still no bueno.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jun 23, 2023 2:52 pm 
SAC UI is a little funky. When you have a color and size that is in stock the "Add to cart" button will update to display the price. When It reads "Add to Cart $57.35" it has worked for me. But when it reads "Add to Cart" I also get that error message. Most sizes are out of stock and the site uses a very subtle cross hatch on the out of stock sizes. Mo the most user friendly UU