Forum Index > Gear Talk > Lightweight hiking pants..
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jun 23, 2023 5:58 pm 
I finally got the link to work, apparently if they are out of a size or color it keeps prompting you to select. I was all set to order them for $57 but then they charge shipping and tax so 70 total and I balked. I have a serious aversion for spending money and especially hate paying for shipping, lol...might need therapy. As to the links that Ski posted, the first one I found a promising pair on Amazon for around $50 and I have Prime so free shipping. On his second link that pair seem pretty bulky with a lot of pockets. I still have 3 medium weight hiking pants so no hurry, I just don't want to order a pair and find they are pretty much what I already have, so might wait in order to shop in person...but I still see a pair of Ferrosi's in my future eventually.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jun 23, 2023 7:58 pm 
Unless you get prime for free it's just prepaid shipping.

RumiDude
Ski
><((((>

Ski
><((((>
PostSat Jun 24, 2023 8:45 am 
If you can clear out all of your cache files and cookies and whatnot... try buying from Amazon as a "Guest" and take advantage of their "Free Prime Offer for 30 days Free Shipping!" if it's still available. I bought a mess of carburetors a couple months back and saved shipping doing it that way - I've never had an Amazon account. YMMV. (* and shipping charges are crazy no matter what route you go - they all went up several times over the last couple years. )

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Jun 24, 2023 2:02 pm 
I actually subscribed to Amazon Prime (swore I never would) but I am addicted to NFL football and they took over the rights to Thursday Night Football. I also have my DISH tv on pause so watching a few things on Prime video. I like that I can compare prices on EBAY or Amazon....also comes in handy since I am a long ways from most shopping.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jul 25, 2023 6:04 pm 
Scored a nearly new pair of Columbia hiking pants today at the thrift store on senior discount day for 10 bucks. They are so nice I am going to use them as dress pants or for easy hikes for a while, lol. But I appreciate all the suggestions and will keep them in mind for future purchases, (likely at the thrift store) lol.

nomadthekidyoga

nomadthekidyoga
PostMon Aug 28, 2023 12:31 pm 
I've hit the trails in both REI and Outdoor Research pants, and let me tell ya, each has its own vibe and perks. With REI, you're gettin' this straightforward, reliable piece of kit. I've worn 'em on all sorts of hikes and they've never let me down. They're the real MVP when it comes to value. Plus, the range of options means you can find something for whatever type of hiking you're into. Now, Outdoor Research is like the techie cousin in the family. Wearing those, I've felt the difference in fabric tech, especially when it comes to breathability and moisture control. It's kinda like upgrading from a reliable sedan to a sports car with all the cool gadgets. So, if you're a no-frills, get-the-job-done type, REI's your go-to. But if you're all about that high-performance life, then Outdoor Research has got what you're lookin' for.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Aug 29, 2023 12:22 pm 
As someone who knows the gear, I prefer a HEAVIER pant. The idea with pants is that the thicker the fabric the longer it takes the water to get thru!!! This is The Brute Force Approach, which is the only approach known to work!!! If you layer up the fabric over. 2 inches thick it takes atleast an hour for the water to get thru!!!! Only tried and true approach.