Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Was there a different Granite Mountain Trailhead? (Granite Mountain I-90)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Jul 14, 2023 11:46 am 
I was looking at the trail on the National Geographic Topo and there's a spur that leads down to I-90.
Did folks park where the westbound bridge is today?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Jul 14, 2023 1:43 pm 
Most trails along the I-90 corridor started out down there; even Twin Falls near North Bend. Construction of I-90 destroyed old access to these places and it took years to relocate trail heads and trails. It wasn't that long ago that Twin Falls was accessed off I-90; Snow Lake from Alpental, etc. Well I say "not long ago" ... within memory of many on this site. Old Signpost magazines were full of letters from hikers whining about how I-90 construction had destroyed access to some places, and folks were impatient about it.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jul 14, 2023 1:44 pm 
Back in the day I-90 was on the south side of the valley with a large snowshed, way back in the 30/40s US 10 was on what is now Tinkham Road and crossed to the South side and went up the road that goes to Denny Creek and up to the Alpental exit. Most of the trails are very old. Some maps show a spur going down to I-90 in the large first Avalanche track intersection with the present trail it is probably buried in debris in winter and in summer is a green hell.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
JimK

JimK
PostFri Jul 14, 2023 4:44 pm 
If I understand your question correctly, this thread from a couple years ago talks about it: Old Pratt Lake/Granite Mt. Trailhead