Forum Index > Photography Talk > DSC-RX100 replacement suggestions?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
b00

b00
PostMon Jul 24, 2023 2:19 pm 
my dsc-rx100 original version may be dead and seeking suggestions for a replacement. i would like something significantly better than my apple se phone. i rather liked the small size and being able to keep it in a small hardshell case that hung from a biner on my shoulder strap. something not too heavy, nor too big, but does great pics. and preferably something i could carry easily like my dsc-rx100. ideas? :>)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Jul 24, 2023 4:04 pm 
For the small form factor that's not a phone, probably just get another rx100. Canon g7x or g9x would be another to look at, very similar. Pay attention to focal length. For me, having the 24mm full frame equivalent on the wide end is huge. Some models are only 28mm on the wide end.

InFlight
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Jul 24, 2023 6:46 pm 
Panasonic Lumix LUMIX LX100K has similar lens and larger micro 4/3 sensor. Some of the Fuji Mirrorless cameras are not that large. Lots of lens choices. Maybe a wide prime and super zoom.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately... ― Henry David Thoreau
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jul 24, 2023 8:53 pm 
Why did you opt for the SE? Size? Price? As far as size, I held out for a long time resisting a larger phone, but after upgrading I got used to the larger size pretty quickly, and was surprised to find how much more frequently I was using my phone for things instead of the laptop. Now I'd never go back to a smaller phone. No sure how good the SE camera is but guessing it's not up to par with the output from a flagship iphone or android. You have it with you all the time so worth every penny IMO to have the best phone camera you can afford. I really enjoy the 5x telephoto on my Pixel 7 Pro. No, it's not perfect, but it opens up so many more creative options. Get another RX100 if you want the best of both worlds, but don't sell yourself short when it comes to phone camera.

ejain

ejain
PostMon Jul 24, 2023 10:39 pm 
If you get another RX100: The most recent two versions (VI and VII) have more zoom (now I can get recognizable, though far from calendar-worthy pictures of birds), at the cost of aperture (barely suitable for star photos). Previously, I also had a Panasonic LX10, similar size, but kept getting dust on the sensor, which is very difficult/expensive to fix. Also disliked having to toggle the macro mode on and off when taking pictures of plants etc. Canon G7/G9 X looks comparable, haven't used.

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostMon Jul 24, 2023 11:41 pm 
Another vote for another RX100. When my RX100 died I got the RX100 M3 and then when that died got the M6. Liked the 24mm vs 28mm and electronic viewfinder on the later versions vs the M1. The longer lens on the M6 was ok but I really missed the larger aperture. When the M6 drowned a few months ago, I replaced it with an iphone 14 pro. The interwebs seems to think the camera is comparable. I'm not convinced yet, but still tinkering. Based on what I've read the similar-size Canon and Panasonic cameras can't compete with the RX100 for image quality, but I haven't tried them.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Jul 25, 2023 1:01 pm 
rubywrangler wrote:
Based on what I've read the similar-size Canon and Panasonic cameras can't compete with the RX100 for image quality, but I haven't tried them.
https://www.dxomark.com/camera-sensors/ The Canon G7 X and Lumix Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ2000 both rate slightly higher, than the current Sony RX100 IV

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately... ― Henry David Thoreau
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostTue Jul 25, 2023 2:02 pm 
Well, dpreview rates the RX100 better than the competition in terms of image quality: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx100-vii-review/7 The FZ2000 is a bridge camera and about 3x the size of the RX100, so not really comparable. I have the predecessor FZ1000 and it works great for bear photos at Katmai NP but not ideal for hikes and climbs.

b00

b00
PostTue Jul 25, 2023 2:24 pm 
first off i really want to thank each of you personally - awilsondc, InFlight, ejain, Tom and rubywrangler - for your great and insightful posts! my oldest daughter and her partner gave me their rx100 iv that they are no longer using. as luck would have it, i will get to avoid this round of decision paralysis( so many great choices). although i may want to take your advice tom and someday look to upgrade my phone. thanks again! :>)

Cyclopath, awilsondc, rubywrangler, ejain
neek

neek
PostWed Jul 26, 2023 9:27 am 
I replaced a defunct rx100 m1 with a g7x m2 a while ago and agree with rubywrangler that the Sony is better in just about every regard. Using a phone now out of laziness, but am finding that the computational photography tricks (in particular HDR and tone mapping) can't compete with the larger sensor of a high quality point and shoot.

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Jul 27, 2023 4:31 pm 
I left my Sony RX100 IV on the floor of a rental car a few years ago. I did a bunch of research and ended up replacing it with...a Sony RX100 VI. Used, from one of the big online camera stores. I just couldn't find anything else comparable, with the same quality of zoom.
Quote:
I have the predecessor FZ1000 and it works great for bear photos at Katmai NP but not ideal for hikes and climbs.
My husband never takes photos but I tasked him with keeping this camera in his pocket at Katmai and it really does a nice job.

Josh Journey
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostFri Aug 04, 2023 1:01 pm 
The Sony RX 100 VI is absolutely superb. Shoot in RAW + JPEG followed by using capture one to bulk sharpen which will bring it to a more professional grade. Even in low light I've gotten some great shots with it on the tele end. Plus at 24mm on the wide end makes it quite versatile.