Forum Index > Gear Talk > Gravel bicycle tire recommendations?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Jul 31, 2023 8:10 am 
I have 29x"2 Schwalbie Rapid Rob's on my Salsa Fargo. They came with the bike and seem overkill yet great for mixing it up: curb hopping, city street riding after dark, logging roads.... Occasional singletrack but prefer rail to trail. I've used Surfas Drifter tires on my Bianchi "El Cheapo" dumpster trailhead bike back in the day. They seemed good and I've even rode the Dingford 6 a few times. Kinda crazy descending that one when you're racing a buddy carrying backpacks at dusk, "can we make it?" They seemed good, albeit heavy. No Great Divide planned just looking at options since the RR's are nearly new. Tubeless conversion, that would be crazy? No plans to change rims although 27.5x"3 maybe a hoot? Eagle transmission? Now I'm sounding like I know stuff? lol.gif The Great Divide riders on the interwebs are a good source of ideas. In my mind, "what do I really need here?" I'd stick with the RR's, but we all like change?!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jul 31, 2023 11:19 am 
Brucester wrote:
Tubeless conversion, that would be crazy?
Tubeless is better, but it requires slightly different tools and skills. Most people feel like tubeless is worth it if you flat a lot, but won't gain you enough otherwise to justify the change. Do you need knobbies?

klock

klock
PostMon Jul 31, 2023 11:52 am 
trestle

trestle
PostMon Jul 31, 2023 2:14 pm 
Spesh Pathfinder Pros or Vittoria Terreno Dry. I live and ride in the rain shadow and don't have much of a need for knobbies.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostMon Jul 31, 2023 2:20 pm 
Schwalbe G One All Round.

Cyclopath
nomadthekidyoga

nomadthekidyoga
PostWed Aug 02, 2023 2:20 pm 
If you're feelin' like changin' things up, those Surfas Drifters could be a cool option too, just keep in mind they're a tad heavy. Tubeless conversion could be gnarly, giving you some smoother rides and less flats. As for rims, stick with what's workin' for you, man. If 27.5x"3 sounds fun, why not give it a try?

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Aug 03, 2023 7:23 pm 
I always recommend going a heavier tire. Guys down at Les Schwab talking tires. Ever since i started gaining power thru various social media avenues!!! Free coffee to ensure a bowel movement. I recommend sticking to the consensus at Les Schwab which is usually go a heavier tire. Bigger the better!!

schifferj

schifferj
PostFri Aug 04, 2023 3:58 pm 
Panaracer Gravelking SK+. I'm not a gravel rider per se and truth be told avoid it when ever possible. But I did a long distance tour riding a Salsa Marrakesh equipped with Gravelking SK's and they were perfect. FWIW, I'm not a fan of tubeless. For me it was too big a hassle with not a lot of upside. I can change a flat in less than five minutes and be back on the road. The added expense of sealant and the problems with seating the beads, refreshing the sealant just didn't seem worth it. I gave tubless a try on my road bike, I had one flat and had sealant all over me and my bike and then to add insult to injury I had to put a tube in the tire to get home. Talk about a hot mess. That one incident did me in.

Cyclopath
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Aug 05, 2023 9:49 am 
Plugs can save the hot mess on the side of the road.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Aug 06, 2023 3:31 pm 
If smooth tread works, IRC Roadlite are excellent tires. And I've used them for lots and lots of gravel miles. But I do plenty of paved miles too so I lean toward something that performs well on both, you could get much better gravel performance out of tires if you don't care how they roll on pavement.

Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Sep 16, 2023 7:31 am 
Thank you for the responses! It's ironic that my car tire and bike tire usage are alike as I'm mostly on pavement. I'm probably not going with tubeless as my rims aren't tubeless and my rims are nice. I'll still be looking for alternatives for the Rapid Robs as I'm mostly on paved trails or grass. Some gravel, not much. On my way home from work I asked a cyclist what he had, Schwalbie G one's. The seach continues.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Sep 16, 2023 9:24 am 
https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8037879 You're really only going to find out by trying different tires until you love one.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Sep 16, 2023 1:17 pm 
https://www.enve.com/product/ses-road-tire/ These will be the next ones I try. But the IRCs are excellent so I'm not in a rush.