Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Debate over photographing foxes on San Juan Island
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Aug 05, 2023 11:30 am 
Randito wrote:
Gil wrote:
Speaking of lunch, people could always go back to eating eastern gray squirrels. My family did when I was a child on the Wisconsin farm -- I got pretty adept with a .22. Of course, that might not fly around here.
I don't think it would be an issue if you lived on a farm in a rural area -- but hunting anything within city limits is likely to result in a "shots fired" 911 call from the neighbors. The WDFW has this to say in the context of dealing with invasive species of squirrels:
WDFW wrote:
Shooting tree squirrels may be helpful if a small, localized population of introduced species is problematic. For safety considerations, shooting is generally limited to rural situations and is considered too hazardous in more populated areas, even if legal.
and
WDFW wrote:
The Eastern gray squirrel and Eastern fox squirrel are unclassified and may be trapped or killed year-round as long as you have a hunting license. In such cases, no special trapping permit is necessary for the use of live traps. However, a special trapping permit is required for the use of all traps other than live traps (RCW 77.15.192, 77.15.194; WAC 232-12-142).
That's funny, they want them eradicated and yet they want you to purchase a hunting license in order to legally do so.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Aug 13, 2023 8:55 am 
Slingshots are the answer. The squirrels in my yard keep my dog entertained for hours. Once in a great while, a squirrel misjudges its speed and is caught. I think the toll is two so far.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Aug 13, 2023 9:51 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
That's funny, they want them eradicated and yet they want you to purchase a hunting license in order to legally do so.
Probably has something to do with this:
WDFW wrote:
anyone purchasing a license who was born after Jan. 1, 1972 must show proof that they have completed a hunter education class.
Which to me seems like a good idea -- especially considering that the bulk of the Eastern Gray live in heavily populated areas of Western Washington in my book having people attend a safety course before going out shooting seems worthwile. Though I think the 1972 boundary is bogus -- if someone over 50 has never previously had a hunting license -- I don't see why that should waiver the safety education requirement. I suppose that was a political decision to lessen opposition.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Aug 13, 2023 5:41 pm 
Makes sense, not everyone has been taught firearm safety at home like I was. Plus, I agree, someone over 50 should not necessarily get a pass.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.