Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Go Mariners!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Dec 01, 2023 7:48 am 
After looking at strikeout numbers, I predict that the M's are more likely to sign Mitch Garver than JD Martinez.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostSat Dec 02, 2023 8:03 pm 
Stefan wrote:
I would like to know what the financials looks for the Mariners compared to the other MLB teams....Because if they keep making a "decent" profit....why screw it up?
Forbes ranked the teams in March 2023 Sortable list of team value, revenue and operating income. Fine print defines operating income as ebitda. Click on any team for brief pictograph summary of their financials over the course of last few years. Compare and rank valuations. Good clean fun. Ms Rank 13th in valuation at $2,200,000,000 12th in revenue at $363,000,000 and 1st in operating income at $86,000,000 Last team sale in 2016 at $1,200,000,000 valuation. +$1,000,000,000 asset increase in 7 years is not too shabby. Before that they sold in 1992 for $100,000,000 giving 12x gain over 24 years. Business exists to make a profit. This is America! I get it. But as a stereotype, baseball team owners already made their profit. In some other business, like running a hedge fund or inheriting the Gap. They used this profit to buy a baseball team. Baseball team owners should be held to a different standard. Sports should be different. I understand that it's not. 1. The team is a toy. 2. The value of the toy goes up faster and more reliably than almost any other investment asset imaginable. 3. If you play with the toy carefully, you make money every year. 4. Every 20 to 40 years you get to force an urban market to build you a new palace, now often supplemented w/a large unrelated real estate development, funded at taxpayer expense. 5. The toy is a limited resource. There are only 30, and no one is allowed to compete against you in your market. Not even Bezos can get a Seattle baseball team. Unless he buys it from Stanton. So it's difficult to me, especially in light of the last 25 years of team history, to be stoked about trading a 3WAR player on a 1yr / $15,000,000 contract, who is a leader in the club house and the most fun to watch play in the field. Even worse considering the oncoming faceless 4A 5Guys JAG platoon, each of whom are 1/10 as good as Geno. How much is enuff Stanton? How many yachts can you waterski behind?

Sculpin
kiliki

kiliki
PostSun Dec 03, 2023 9:25 pm 
Tonight's trade...frown.gif I was excited to see JK next year. He sure finished strong. Now we don't have a left fielder OR a right fielder.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Dec 03, 2023 10:35 pm 
I get wanting to cut down on strikeouts, but giving up on Kelenic this fast feels like a massive mistake. I'd put money on him turning into a borderline all-star in Atlanta. That all said, I'm going to operate under the assumption that there are more substantial transactions in the works to fill all these holes that now exist, so in the end this might not be so bad. But if Jerry whiffs and isn't able to acquire or sign any other impact bats, and this is more or less the lineup we go into the season with, then I will happily hop on the fire Dipoto bandwagon.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Dec 04, 2023 2:24 pm 
Fangraphs described the trade thusly: Mariners Attach Kelenic to Salary Dump. May God Have Mercy on Their Souls I have nothing to add. bricks.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Dec 04, 2023 2:54 pm 
The ownership is pathetic (greedy, only care about their bottom line) and only three things will change it and all are unlikely. 1. Fans boycott the team (zero chance) 2. Owner will suddenly care about winning more than profit (minuscule chance). 3. Owner will get bored (or greedy) and sell the team. (most likely good outcome). No real fan would support a team when the owners have no commitment to winning, but for many Seattle fans, going to a game is more of a Social Event, so they will continue to do so, even if they are the worst team in the league, which could very well happen since the A's have left Oakland. I just don't get why a team owner who has plenty of money and if the team is their "Toy" as was mentioned, why not just break even and maybe actually build a winning team?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostMon Dec 04, 2023 3:24 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
why not just break even
The only answer is more, more, more yeah!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Dec 04, 2023 5:38 pm 
Maybe the thread title should be "Go away Mariners"! Trade them to OKC for the Sonics.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Dec 04, 2023 7:10 pm 
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostMon Dec 04, 2023 7:46 pm 
I saw this bumpin around Threads:
Jarred Kelenic wrote:
To the fans, I thank you for your energy, your enthusiasm and your support. Thank you for always having my back through the ups and the downs. You guys will always hold a place in my heart and it was truly a blessing to lace up those spikes and play in front of you the last couple years. To my teammates, I feel honored and blessed to have shared the field with each one of you and will forever be grateful for the countless memories. To the Braves Organization, I want to thank you for this opportunity and this new chapter. I am beyond excited to be an Atlanta Brave and I look forward to the friendships and opportunities the future holds. Thank you to my family for always supporting me since I was little and allowing me to chase this dream of mine. Lastly, I truly want to thank God. I thank you for the experiences and relationships I have built and lessons I have learned. Iím thankful for your guidance through the ups and the downs. I look forward to what you have in store for me moving forward
Notice he didn't thank the Mariners. Or the water cooler. Interesting.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Dec 04, 2023 11:48 pm 
He's just happy to go to a team that actually wants to win. The Braves are my Fav franchise and have been since the 1990's. Loved their MGR Bobby Cox...speaking of MGR's, Lou Pinella missed being elected to the HOF by one vote. Funny, "You will be playing the outfield"...kind of like self checkout only at Walmart.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Dec 10, 2023 9:01 pm 
Prices rise dramatically in order to pay for Ohtani...I lol'd that some M's fans actually thought that there was a chance of him coming here. His contract is a record 700 million over 10 years. They might as well just merge the small market teams into the minor leagues...or create a AAAA league, lol. I know that a salary cap has it's disadvantages and will likely never happen, but I would like to see it. Other things I wish would change in major league sports....an individual salary cap for NFL players, many QB's take up a ridiculous amount of cap space. I also don't like the watered down playoff structure with so many wild card teams.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Dec 10, 2023 11:40 pm 
Funny? ....comment on Fox Sports tonight, "Ebeneezer Scrooge" might as well own this team".

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Dec 11, 2023 9:18 am 
FiveNines wrote:
Ms Rank 13th in valuation at $2,200,000,000 12th in revenue at $363,000,000 and 1st in operating income at $86,000,000
Wow. So they are basically middle of the road for value....and they are turning the highest profit based on operating revenue.....so they still have room for paying higher contracts of about $40-$50M per my calculations. Interesting stuff!!! Thank you!!!!

Art is an adventure.
Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!

Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!
PostMon Dec 11, 2023 4:39 pm 
Mariners ďfansĒ are pathetic. Worst crybabies in sports, and they know nothing. If any of them bothered to pull their heads out of their own rear ends, they would find that one of the teamís biggest sources of revenue is on the verge of collapse. Try doing a search on ďMariners RSNĒ, if you arenít too lazy to read or think, and you might actually learn something. Non- fans have been paying for sports they donít want, and they are tired of it. Itís one of the dynamics pushing people away from cable. So now Comcast has pushed ROOT sports to their most expensive package, saving non-sports fans money but jacking the cost way up for anyone who wants ROOT sports. This was done against the wishes of the Mariners and Kraken. The whole rotten thing is a house of cards. The Mariners get 100 million dollars a year from their RSN for their games, for 68,000 viewers per game. 68 k viewers times 162 games comes to 11 million total viewers of all games. That comes to $9 for each and every time a subscriber watches a single game. Obviously this can only occur when vast numbers of people who do not watch the Mariners are gulled into paying for them anyway. No one is paying $9 to watch a single game on TV. Now that Comcast is trying to make only sports fans pay, the Mariners revenue is going to plummet. Itís already happening to the Kraken, who get only 13,000 viewers per game on ROOT. The new Comcast pricing was released one day before hockey season started. If someone thinks the Mariners are going to jump on the free agent bandwagon to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars for a single player, they have lost their minds. The Kraken showed just how stupid they are for joining this death spiral. Being a brand new team, one might suppose that building a large fan base might be a good idea. But no, they did the very best thing they could do to make sure the fewest possible people watch their games. The Mariners only hope of ever winning anything like their division, a pennant or World Series is to keep being at least decent, and hope to get lucky some year. Two out of the last three years a team has made the WS by winning fewer games than the Mariners did. Dipotoís mistake was saying the ď54%Ē part out loud. He never saw that movie whose tag line was ďyou canít handle the truthĒ. Fact: 5 teams in the last 20 years have won the WS with 90 or fewer regular season wins. Like this year, and two years ago. Lots of others made it there but lost, but a list of WS losers and their regular season records eluded my search efforts.