Forum Index > Trail Talk > Airplane Lake Fire
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Aug 14, 2023 7:41 am 
frown.gif The Airplane Lake fire from the Foam Creek Trail:
My group cut our visit to White Pass/Glacier Peak Meadows short because of smoke from the Airplane Lake fire. It had been smoldering in the cool weather for a couple weeks and just blew up this weekend in the hot weather. Because of offshore flow the smoke is being carried over White Pass into the North Fork Sauk. Offshore flow and high temps are expected to remain through Wednesday, I would advise to stay away from the White Pass area until onshore flow resumes on Thursday. After that, woe be unto the residents of Leavenworth, who will be dealing with smoke for the foreseeable future...again. gag.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

HikingBex
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
AntiqueLaser
Chosstronaut

AntiqueLaser
Chosstronaut
PostMon Aug 14, 2023 9:15 am 
Here's what the fire looked like across the valley from the south slopes of Clark. Up high the smoke wasn't bad, you could definitely smell it down in the valley though.

astronaut

hikerbiker, Sculpin
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Aug 14, 2023 9:56 am 
On Caltopo it looks like the fire on the south side of Dome Peak is still burning too

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Aug 14, 2023 4:25 pm 
Schroder wrote:
On Caltopo it looks like the fire on the south side of Dome Peak is still burning too
Looking at the hotspot maps and the GOES imagery from today, looks like that one really exploded. There's a pretty significant plume of smoke visible now. Hanging Gardens looks to be in danger of burning.

Bryan Swan Pictures - http://www.bryanswanphotography.com Waterfalls - www.waterfallsnorthwest.com

Tom, Lindsay
osprey

osprey
PostTue Aug 15, 2023 4:42 pm 
Lake Wenatchee Fire and Rescue has a camera on Natapoc Ridge. Here is the current image looking northwest over Dirtyface toward Glacier Peak. I assume this is the Airplane Lake file.

sooperfly, Cyclopath  Lindsay, fourteen410
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Aug 15, 2023 5:00 pm 
I see a huge plume from this from my house in Greenbank. It's directly behind Pilchuck from my view.

JoeBlowForester

JoeBlowForester
PostTue Aug 15, 2023 5:52 pm 
Id bet the plume your seeing over pilchuck the dome peak fire

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Aug 16, 2023 7:54 am 
With the flow shifting to on shore over night, the smoke from the Airplane Lake fire has ruined the air quality in Plain and is lurking above Leavenworth. My daughter took this image this morning from Mountain Home Ridge looking north:

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
kw

kw
PostWed Aug 16, 2023 11:31 am 
Looks like the Airplane Lake Fire has exploded over these last couple days, it seems like it's almost a certainty that it'll be causing some real damage to the White River trail and potentially even up towards Boulder Pass or Indian Creek. The USFS still hasn't closed anything though, if the perimeter is truly this far by now it seems like the time to close the White River TH has long passed.

Sculpin
osprey

osprey
PostWed Aug 16, 2023 12:02 pm 
Chelan County Emergency Management posted on Facebook half an hour ago: Level 1 Notice: There is a wildfire burning near Airplane Lake, which is in the White River Drainage near the Lake Wenatchee area. We are issuing a Level 1 for ONLY the U.S. Forest Service portion of White River Road. What does this mean? The Forest Service is closing trails and camping sites in the impacted area. The Level 1 starts at the Forest Service portion of White River Road (there at the turnaround). The Level 1 DOES NOT impact any county roads or right-of-way, or homes. It also does not impact Tall Timber Lodge.

dougfir

dougfir
PostWed Aug 16, 2023 5:39 pm 
Any updates on this one? I was planning to do White Pass/Pilot Ridge this weekend. How can I look at onshore flow forecasts mentioned in the OP? Thanks!

kw

kw
PostWed Aug 16, 2023 6:07 pm 
dougfir wrote:
Any updates on this one? I was planning to do White Pass/Pilot Ridge this weekend. How can I look at onshore flow forecasts mentioned in the OP? Thanks!
It looks like onshore flow is set to return around Friday and stick around until the end of the weekend. But, Airplane Lake is a big enough fire and close enough to White Pass that there's still a very real possibility of smoke. It's hard to forecast enough precision to know for sure, but I would keep an eye on WTA trip reports for the area for the next couple days, and I'll link some websites below to look at weather and smoke movement. https://fire.airnow.gov/ https://a.atmos.washington.edu/data/disc_report.html

MistyMountainHop

MistyMountainHop
PostWed Aug 16, 2023 6:18 pm 
dougfir wrote:
This is a pretty neat tool and might be useful for you: https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/ Thanks to Schroder who shared this tool on another thread. It gives a 3 day forecast for smoke. I am planning on the same route for next weekend as a plan B to my Bath Lakes HR trip. The tool does show some pretty bad smoke come and go south of Glacier Peak on Friday the 18th. Safe to say that smoke is going to be an on and off issue in this area for the foreseeable future, but as others mentioned I think the onshore flow will help.

Sculpin, kw
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostWed Aug 16, 2023 7:50 pm 
kw wrote:
Looks like the Airplane Lake Fire has exploded over these last couple days, it seems like it's almost a certainty that it'll be causing some real damage to the White River trail and potentially even up towards Boulder Pass or Indian Creek. The USFS still hasn't closed anything though, if the perimeter is truly this far by now it seems like the time to close the White River TH has long passed.
Guess I'm going to have to call off my Glacier Peak loop again this year. I was waiting for High Pass to melt out.

zimmertr
contour5

contour5
PostWed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm 
My itinerary too, it is in complete disarray. A curse upon all of this combustion! Bring on the rain!

rubywrangler, zimmertr