Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > "The West is Burning" Video
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Aug 30, 2023 9:05 am 
This excellent video was posted by jinx'boy in a thread about this year's wildfires: https://westisburning.org/watch That thread was headed to the same place as all other NWHikers threads on fire, so I thought it would be good to move that conversation over here where it fits better. rolleyes.gif I was thrilled to see that Jerry Franklin is still alive and doing well, I have been a big fan of his for decades. He didn't write the book on NW forest ecology, he wrote all the books on NW forest ecology! I bought and read "Natural Vegetation of Oregon and Washington" cover-to-cover, then went out and hiked in the places he described. I was particularly interested in "azonal habitats," places where weird plants and associations are found. His book described not only forest cover but all the shrub and forb associations underneath. I'm certain you could blindfold Jerry and drop him anywhere in the Pac NW, and he could tell you where he was from the plant associations and nothing else. Jerry was also involved in ending the unsustainable timber grab that occurred under James Watt. The video begins in Santa Rosa, where a "fire fall" occurred from a steep forested slope and entered manicured subdivisions on the edge of town. The same fire, the Tubbs fire, burned houses outside Calistoga. Most of the houses lost only burned because they were built to the international building codes, which mandate things like crawl space vents even in California. Scattered among the burned houses were ones that were built to withstnad fire. Even if you are well read on fire in the NW, the video is still fascinating.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message