Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Private for profit huts on Mt. St Helens?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Sep 13, 2023 6:54 am 
Logbear wrote:
Where were these overnight facilities that were lost?
All over. There's a partial list of them here. (use the search function and search "July Creek" by author "Ski" - search "posts") Off the top of my head: Dosewallips July Creek Promised Land Kopachuck State Park lots of others - treeswarper mentioned one above.. It's early and I don't keep an inventory of them in my head. Bottom line: all over, and we're losing more as time goes on. (Kalaloch beach cabins are slowly falling into the Pacific. Eventually the ocean will eat the campground too - the largest one in the Park.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Logbear

Logbear
PostWed Sep 13, 2023 10:08 am 
I wasn't asking for a list of campgrounds that have been closed. I was asking about places that used to be available to snowmobile, ski, or hike in to an overnight accommodation. Like the huts at Crystal Mountain. Dispersed camping spots and campgrounds are not what I was asking about. I don't consider having a place to park a trailer, or pitch a tent by the side of the road an "overnight accommodation". I don't have a problem with the hut idea. Maybe huts like the ones proposed will result in less environmental damage. If I had a list of hike-in hut/cabin/overnight accommodations that have been lost, I would include these in my comment letter to the USFS. Comments are due by Sept 20th. https://www.trailchick.com/washington-state-fire-lookouts-open-for-overnight-stays/

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Logbear

Logbear
PostWed Sep 13, 2023 10:35 am 
This site that lists some huts in Washington. https://www.huttripper.com/huts/washington I had no idea there were so many huts in Washington. I noticed that there aren't any in the Olympics. Were there huts at one time in the Olympics that have been removed?

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes

Cyclopath
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Sep 13, 2023 11:37 am 
Logbear wrote:
I wasn't asking for a list of campgrounds that have been closed. I was asking about places that used to be available to snowmobile, ski, or hike in to an overnight accommodation. Like the huts at Crystal Mountain. Dispersed camping spots and campgrounds are not what I was asking about. I don't consider having a place to park a trailer, or pitch a tent by the side of the road an "overnight accommodation". I don't have a problem with the hut idea. Maybe huts like the ones proposed will result in less environmental damage. If I had a list of hike-in hut/cabin/overnight accommodations that have been lost, I would include these in my comment letter to the USFS. Comments are due by Sept 20th. https://www.trailchick.com/washington-state-fire-lookouts-open-for-overnight-stays/
A heck of a lot of people do car camp or trailer camp at the end of roads. Not sure you understand that dead end logging roads have been used that way for some time. My huckleberry picking group used to pitch our tents at such a place and use it as a base. If it makes you feel better, most of us used backpacking tents. Those places have been cut off now. So, people are consolidated into a smaller and smaller area, along with their impacts. I also wonder why a state park at the confluence of the Snake and Palouse river is now just day use. Apparently it once had a lot of sites for camping in it, but is now only day use. What with the demand for state parks camping or glamping, it seems odd to shut that down. There is a KOA nearby, but it isn't nearly as nice and spread out. Here is the Methow operation. Note that one of the huts can be eek.gif snowmobiled into. The rest are supplied via snowmobiles. eek.gif Our world has not ended in Okanogan County.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Sep 13, 2023 12:09 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Not sure you understand that dead end logging roads have been used that way for some time.
Pretty sure we all know that, including Logbear, who is actually asking about a specific facility or place with a specific use assigned to it specifically for overnight snow accommodations.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Sep 13, 2023 12:30 pm 
Logbear wrote:
This site that lists some huts in Washington. https://www.huttripper.com/huts/washington
This is really cool, and I didn't know some of these were here. Thanks for posting!

Logbear

Logbear
PostWed Sep 13, 2023 2:50 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
If it makes you feel better, most of us used backpacking tents
Not being a tent manufacturer or tent retailer, no, it doesn't make me feel any better. Thank you Kim Brown for trying to help explain what information I'm looking for. For the record I've dispersed camped with my tent, camper, or trailer all over the state of Washington. I've stayed in designated campgrounds too. Tiffany Springs, Loup Loup, Chopaka Lake were a few of my favorites. By the way, JR campground was right by the highway, had maybe 5 spots, and I couldn't turn my trailer around there. It's still available for disbursed camping. LoupLoup campground is much nicer. But none of those places were "overnight accommodations". As far as why some campgrounds have closed and became day use, there are a whole lot of reasons. I know that some businesses near these recreational facilities prefer day use to overnight camping. Day use people tend to eat at restaurants, stay in motels, and roam around towns buying stuff. A lot of campers (like me), load up at home, and avoid going to town. Okanogan/Wenatchee National Forest has about 130 designated campgrounds.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Sep 13, 2023 3:33 pm 
Funny, my definition of overnight accomodations is......a camping spot. Diversity in thought is a good thing.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Logbear

Logbear
PostWed Sep 13, 2023 5:28 pm 
Who needs campgrounds, huts, or cabins. With all the Walmarts's around, there's been an increase in the numbers of camping spots available. And no reservations to mess with. Now there's an "overnight accommodation" for ya.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Sep 14, 2023 5:30 am 
F
Logbear wrote:
Who needs campgrounds, huts, or cabins. With all the Walmarts's around, there's been an increase in the numbers of camping spots available. And no reservations to mess with. Now there's an "overnight accommodation" for ya.
Yes. I got a good nights sleep in a Cenex parking lot in N.Dakota one night. The wind gently rocked my trailer, and I pretended that the noise from the idling semis next to me was a firecamp generator. There was nothing else that I could find or see a the time. I was tired. The Cenex people were very welcoming and made sure I knew that the doors were unlocked so the bathroom could be accessed. I didn't need that, being fully self contained, but they were so nice. I guess I must have looked as tired as I was. We make do with the accommodations that are available. I'm about to leave to visit relatives and will be glamping at the fairgrounds, if all goes well. I haven't had the Walmarche camping experience, yet. From my reading, I would say that those places are disappearing also. The "Vanlife" craze and the "homeless" have trashed too many places and the No Overnight Parking signs are going up.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Sep 14, 2023 8:09 am 
They closed most of the urban Wallys World lots to camping when they became free fire zones e.g. Renton. There are still a few in Utah, New Mexico, etc. but those places have a lot of boondocks where you are unlikely to be disturbed. I would avoid those too close to the southern border, however.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Sep 14, 2023 9:19 am 
The Wally World here kinda has to keep camping going. A lot of Canadians shop there and stay overnight. Some commercial haulers stop there too, after crossing the border. So, on the way to the dreaded, might be built, huts, "they" might use those camping spots.

Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Sep 14, 2023 10:16 am 
Have I missed something here? Do they now allow snowmobiles up Mt St Helens?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Sep 14, 2023 12:55 pm 
Here's a winter recreation map; not knowing the area, I haven't done any looking to see if the proposed huts violate the rules & regs of MSHNVM. But apparently there's a non-motorized corridor on the mountain; it seems, then, there is a motorized corridor on the mountain. But i haven't looked much at the maps.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Sep 14, 2023 4:33 pm 
If you look at the map carefully, you'll see that usual climbing routes and winter/spring ski routes lie within a non-motorized corridor, which is maybe a 30 degree angular swath of the mountain, leaving the other 330 degrees open to snowmobiles. I've observed snowmobiles on the Crater rim every time I've skied off the rim -- from a distance, they did stay "in their lane". There is definitely a lot of razzing in and around the Marble Mountain sno-park and lots of RVs of various sizes with various sizes of snowmobile trailers. I've also heard reports that back before the lava dome was as big as it is currently that scofflaw snowmobile riders have circled the lava dome (illegally) So huts a decent distance away from the sno-park and in the non-motorized zone would be welcome and provide quieter sleeping than camping in the Marble Mountain sno-park, with it's razzing and generator sounds.