Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Helicopter camping
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Sep 27, 2023 10:49 am 
Snowshovel wrote:
Incorrect. They are landing on the alluvial fan which takes up the majority of the very northern part of the lake. The photos show the fault controlled and deeply incised SE outfall some distance away from the LZ. If you were correct, the LZ would be adjacent to the outfall
The outfall is on the north end of the lake, which you are looking at in the background of your photos with Marble Peak behind it. I've been there many times. This camp is the southwest corner below Little Chief Peak. This is looking almost due north from the summit of Vesper Peak.
H. Hound wrote:
Copper Lake
Copper Lake

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Logbear

Logbear
PostWed Sep 27, 2023 12:15 pm 
I've found two sets of coordinated related to this helicopter crash. Landing zone: This puts it on USFS land by about 100 ft. 48.02996, -121.53531 Final resting spot of helicopter is estimated by NTSB. Reportedly too deep to see the helicopter. This puts it on the state side of the line. 48.032884,-121.53669

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes

NightOwl
NightOwl

NightOwl
PostWed Sep 27, 2023 3:19 pm 
Logbear wrote:
I've found two sets of coordinated related to this helicopter crash. Landing zone: This puts it on USFS land by about 100 ft. 48.02996, -121.53531 Final resting spot of helicopter is estimated by NTSB. Reportedly too deep to see the helicopter. This puts it on the state side of the line. 48.032884,-121.53669
Where are you getting your information? I had the crazy idea of trying to bushwhack to the lake, but if the helicopter isn't visible I won't bother. Anybody been to Copper Lake recently?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Sep 27, 2023 3:32 pm 
Here is a TR from many years ago that describes how difficult the route is...not sure it's worth the effort. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7985499 Can't wait for the day that Helios can fly to the Everest Summit.... rolleyes.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

NightOwl
Logbear

Logbear
PostWed Sep 27, 2023 3:38 pm 
https://myeverettnews.com/2023/09/15/everett-monitoring-water-quality-following-helicopter-crash-above-city-water-supply/ Initial reports indicate that the helicopter was fully submerged and not visible from the surface. The privately owned helicopter is reported to have been carrying eight passengers and a pilot, all of whom survived the incident and evacuated safely. There were no injuries. The passengers and pilot were extricated by Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue helicopter, SnoHawk10, on Saturday, Sept. 9. The Forest Service is encouraging people to avoid the area because of the ongoing investigation and will be considering management of the site into the future. The NTSB report lists their coordinates as estimated. Probably because no one can see it. This news report has a little bit wrong. The helicopter was carrying 4 passengers, not 8. It was the second trip that day. SnoHawk 10 made two trips shuttling the stranded people to the Arlington airport the next day.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes

NightOwl
Logbear

Logbear
PostWed Sep 27, 2023 3:53 pm 
That is some trip report. I was wondering what they would have done if another helicopter wasn't available because of weather. How would a ground rescue team lead 9 people on foot out of there? Up over Vesper Peak/Headlee Pass?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Sep 27, 2023 4:02 pm 
Down a waterfall with a rope and Williamson creek as described in the TR I linked. There is one hardcore guy that went down to the lake via the Vesper-Big 4 saddle, there is a TR somewhere here about it....but not for the faint of heart or those in less than optimal physical condition, unless one has a death wish.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
NightOwl

NightOwl
PostWed Sep 27, 2023 5:12 pm 
Interesting trip report, but 13 years old. Sounds like my kinda place -- a few years ago I hiked/bushwhacked the old P-5000 road from Granite Falls to Spada Lake. I wonder how overgrown Williamson road is now, and if those ropes are still there? Sounds like you'd want to bring a hammock, and a packraft to get across the lake.

Bronco

Bronco
PostThu Sep 28, 2023 9:04 am 
NightOwl wrote:
I wonder how overgrown Williamson road is now, and if those ropes are still there?
Road was in great shape for hiking in 2018. Lot's of foot traffic that summer searching for Sam Sayers. Not sure about the ropes but they're probably still there.

NightOwl
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Sep 28, 2023 9:26 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
]There is one hardcore guy that went down to the lake via the Verper-Big 4 saddle, there is a TR somewhere here about it....but not for the faint of heart or those in less than optimal physical condition, unless one has a death wish.
It's probably the easiest approach now, especially if that slope below the saddle is still covered with snow. Headlee Pass to Copper Lake, Peak 4880+
Justus S. wrote:
Looking up
Looking up

Dusty Trale

Dusty Trale
PostThu Sep 28, 2023 3:55 pm 
Back around 1980 I was on a survey crew with the DNR out of Sultan and we flew to Copper Lake by helicopter several times. We landed at the same place shown in the photos. We were doing some survey work to locate the property lines between Forest Service and DNR land in that area. We had old GLO notes from 1920 to help find the survey corners. Found old BT's on trees that could still be read to help locate the corners. Some corners were scribed in rock. I also knew some guys back in the 1970's who "hiked" up to Copper Lake from the Williamson Creek Road. It was a pretty tough trip back then.

hikerbiker
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostThu Sep 28, 2023 8:32 pm 
Does anyone know if there were any mines in the lake basin? Or did the prospectors just put in ladders to explore the area. The 45 mine is at the head of Williamson Cr, the 48-55 mine is just below Vesper Pk and the Bren Mac on Vesper Cr. Discovering Washington's Historic Mines don't list any at Copper Lake. Edit: Nvm I guess there are a number of smaller prospects around the lake. I'd imagine they aren't any more than a pit or short adit though. Tough area to get ore out of.

Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Oct 05, 2023 7:38 pm 
Herald article Helicopter crash in Copper Lake sparks environmental, health concerns Rangers hadn’t heard of fly-in tourism in the area — which can harm the wilderness and people downstream, advocates say. By Ta'Leah Van Sistine Thursday, October 5, 2023 11:07am

hikerbiker
altasnob

altasnob
PostMon Oct 16, 2023 6:59 am 
I made a public records request for any permits DNR had issued allowing helicopters to land at Copper Lake in the Morning Star Natural Resources Conservation Area from January 1, 2010 to October 2, 2023. DNR responded that they did not have any permits or other documents allowing anyone to land there for that date range. That tells me whoever was landing any helicopters on the DNR owned part of the lake was violating the law. AG Bog Ferguson needs to sue them both criminally and civilly and put that helicopter company out of business.

kiliki  Joseph  Anne Elk
kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Oct 18, 2023 8:14 am 
Are taxpayers on the hook for the cost of containment, monitoring, heli retrieval, the heli ride out from the sheriff's office? This reminds me of the big private fireworks shows off of Bainbridge the past couple years. Rich people getting do whatever they want despite the impact on the public, because no particular agency has thought to have rules/laws against it and no one is even sure who's in charge.