Forum Index > Gear Talk > Roasting marshmallows without a wood fire
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rossb

rossb
PostWed Sep 27, 2023 2:34 pm 
Earlier this year I took a backpack trip with my grandkids, and had a great time. The one thing we missed was roasting marshmallows. We camped at a spot that didn't allow campfires, and I generally dislike them anyway, unless it is a rainy day. In years past I remember trying to rig up something with my propane stove, and it didn't work too well. I do have an alcohol stove, and it would be pretty easy to bring that (if it makes any difference). Any ideas or experience?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Sep 27, 2023 3:16 pm 
Alcohol stove might work IFF you used everclear as fuel. Denatured Alcohol or isopropyl alcohol emit fumes with levels of toxins too high for me. A propane/butane stove is a better choice. A propane/butane stove with an infrared burner would work the best, but buying a MSR Windburner or reactor just for marshmallows is ridiculous. In my book much of fun of marshmallow roasting is getting the kids to wait until the campfire burns down to coals and roasting the perfect marshmallow. I've made some progress on this with my twin granddaughters, but not so much with their older brother, who prefers to eat his allotment of marshmallows straight out of the bag and also has zero Interest in the graham crackers or even the chocolate. One granddaughter also doesn't like the chocolate, but does appreciate a marshmallow that is brown on the outside, goopy in the middle and squished between graham crackers. Their other grandfather's method is stick the marshmallow directly in the flames, let it catch fire and the blow it out and grab it with the graham crackers and chocolate. To each their own.

rossb

rossb
PostWed Sep 27, 2023 3:42 pm 
Yeah, I use Everclear with my alcohol stove. I should have mentioned it. So I assume you don't have any direct experience with any method (other than wood, which I have plenty of experience with, but is not an option). Is that right? I suppose I could try out some things, but like you said, buying a Windburner or Reactor (and then experimenting) would be crazy.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostWed Sep 27, 2023 3:51 pm 
I think most in most places, outlawed "fires" includes alcohol stoves.

rossb

rossb
PostWed Sep 27, 2023 3:54 pm 
texasbb wrote:
I think in most places, outlawed "fires" includes alcohol stoves.
Interesting. I didn't realize that. I'll admit it has been a while since I've used an alcohol stove, but when I did, I didn't hesitate (even though I was in a place where I wouldn't dream of making a fire).

rossb

rossb
PostWed Sep 27, 2023 3:59 pm 
I should add that I prefer canister, so something that worked with it (some doo-hicky you attached) would be ideal.

ejain

ejain
PostWed Sep 27, 2023 5:04 pm 
rossb

rossb
PostWed Sep 27, 2023 5:27 pm 
ejain wrote:
Use a kitchen torch?
Good idea. But part of the fun with roasting marshmallows is finding the stick and the actual roasting. But I could see that working (under proper adult supervision). They could get the sticks, put on the marshmallows and then I could come around and heat them up. Not exactly the same, but still pretty good.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Sep 28, 2023 9:44 am 
I like the alcohol stove suggestion. You can make a soda pop can stove for each kid and each kid can have their own for their marshmallows. I hadn't heard that a stove is included in the No Campfire zone. Wood stoves aren't. but perhaps the opportunity to spill and spread is greater, and they have been included since I last checked (several years). Making their own stoves might be fun, if you want to set up a soda can stove party before the next trip. If nothing else, just toss denatured alcohol in an empty tuna can and flame it. OR collect silver fir pitch, put it in a tuna can and flame that. Several of us on a WTA work party did that many years ago, only it wasn't for marshmallows, it was to keep warm during a cold, rainy, windy, and snowy few days on the PCT. (Jeez, that was 24 years ago; damn I'm old). But it was very warm so I bet it would be great for roasting marshmallows.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Sep 28, 2023 10:21 am 
I actually ran into this issue many years ago and found no satisfying solution. So my solution was to just quietly drop it. I discovered that as the kids got older it meant much less to them and when I explained why we were not going to do it they didn't blink and eye. I did substitute other things in it's place. The biggest of which was to teach them how to use the stove and cook diner and later, heat the water to make hot chocolate. To my two sons, it was a real step forward in developing their backcountry skills and confidence. As they aged even further, I incorporated how to maintain the MSR Dragonfly and Whisperlite stoves. Yea, it was a long time ago and that was before I started using canister stoves. Anyway, maybe you could do something similar around meal prep and such. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostThu Sep 28, 2023 11:30 am 
are sterno stove kits no longer available. they fold into a relativity small space even with the fuel can. i dont see how they could be wildfire starter is carefull placed on dry soil or flat rocks.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Sep 28, 2023 4:50 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
are sterno stove kits no longer available. they fold into a relativity small space even with the fuel can. i dont see how they could be wildfire starter is carefull placed on dry soil or flat rocks.
Cabella’s has one https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/sterno-portable-folding-stove

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Sep 28, 2023 6:51 pm 
Sterno makes special ethanol canisters and special stove for making smores. They DO NOT advise the use of methanol fuel cans for direct heating of any food. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

InFlight
rossb

rossb
PostFri Sep 29, 2023 7:48 am 
That smore cooker looks great. Lots of great ideas here. Thanks.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Sep 29, 2023 9:53 pm 
Ahh just hit it w/ a bic