Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Oct 31, 2023 9:34 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
thuja

thuja
PostTue Oct 31, 2023 5:32 pm 
Redwoods have been growing happily at the UW Arboretum for many, many years!

altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Nov 01, 2023 10:37 am 
The northernmost native redwoods on earth are found in the first coastal valley in Oregon north of the California border. Instead of trying to plant redwoods in Washington, why wouldn't they first try to plant them in the second coastal valley in Oregon north of the California border. Or third. Or fourth. I would think these habitats would mirror the native redwood habitat much better because they are right next to it. Why travel 500 miles to the north to try to expand their habitat?

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Nov 01, 2023 11:22 am 
I planted a redwood on our property in Snohomish 49 years ago. It was doing very well when we sold the place a few years ago.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 01, 2023 2:26 pm 
altasnob wrote:
The northernmost native redwoods on earth are found in the first coastal valley in Oregon north of the California border. Instead of trying to plant redwoods in Washington, why wouldn't they first try to plant them in the second coastal valley in Oregon north of the California border. Or third. Or fourth. I would think these habitats would mirror the native redwood habitat much better because they are right next to it. Why travel 500 miles to the north to try to expand their habitat?
Well, you could buy some land there and do just that. All it takes is money and some physical work. I couldn't read the article but there was a rumor that some of the timber companies in our fair state were planting redwoods. Not a lot, but some to see how they do. I shall remind you and everyone else that forestry is not fast. It evolves over time.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Nov 01, 2023 2:44 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I couldn't read the article
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/31/us/california-redwoods-climate.html?unlocked_article_code=1.7Ew.TeEr.Z0saOOt7nDon&smid=url-share Try the link above, which is a "gift" article for subscribers. The article talks about the dangers of planting non-native plants. Think of how much better Western Washington and Oregon would be if humans never planted Himalayan blackberry, English ivy, and scotch broom here. That's why I am reluctant to pant anything where it doesn't grow naturally.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Nov 01, 2023 3:11 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I couldn't read the article but there was a rumor that some of the timber companies in our fair state were planting redwoods. Not a lot, but some to see how they do.
I bought my seedling from the Weyerhaeuser nursery in Rochester

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 01, 2023 5:20 pm 
Schroder wrote:
I bought my seedling from the Weyerhaeuser nursery in Rochester
I bought some Sequoias from that same place. I had excellent success with all seedlings purchased from them, but I also planted a lot of trees professionally, so that might help. I also tubed the cedar to protect it from the resident deer. I'd think that for inland, SW Warshington, Willamette Pine might be a good species to plant. You could buy those in Rochester, but they went fast. Mine were thriving on my rocky ridgetop ground. Willamette Pine is a species of Ponderosa Pine that is native to the ..... Willamette Valley and I'm also thinking on the prairies around Ft Lewis. It was almost wiped out by folks clearing land for farms. It will handle wetter weather than the standard Ponderosa Pine. https://www.portland.gov/trees/get-involved/ponderosa-pine I don't know if they still have their tree sale. I'm sure they still sell by the bag, but not sure if they have the walk in and buy a few trees for a buck each sale. They'd have two sales in the Spring usually on Saturdays.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Nov 01, 2023 7:35 pm 
There are lots of Giant Sequoias in Issaquah they seem to grow well here, beware they grow fast.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
the1mitch

the1mitch
PostThu Nov 02, 2023 9:13 am 
There's an excellent specimen in Mukilteo that measures 8' DBH. It's old enough to make me wonder how it came to be a mile south of the ferry landing......... How fast do these bad boys grow?

illegitimi non carborundum!
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 02, 2023 10:28 am 
Most likely you will find specimens at Pt. Defiance Park, Wright Park (which has a marvelous collection of tree specimens) and possibly down at Millersylvania. (Mr. Miller brought in an assortment of exotics for his own little "Sylvania".)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Nov 02, 2023 11:46 am 
the1mitch wrote:
There's an excellent specimen in Mukilteo that measures 8' DBH. It's old enough to make me wonder how it came to be a mile south of the ferry landing......... How fast do these bad boys grow?
The Randle CCC boys planted Sequoia at the corners of buildings they constructed. The barn and shop buildings. I think they were cut down in 2005 and were 6 or 7' in diameter. It was a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. The historic trees were going to ruin the historic buildings. That would make the trees 70 something years old. One of the two bestest fallers in the area did the deed.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Nov 02, 2023 2:07 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
There are lots of Giant Sequoias in Issaquah they seem to grow well here, beware they grow fast.
Sequoias are all over the Seattle area; quite a few at the zoo, and many on private property, including one on someone's front parking strip, which I can't imagine will be able to be there much longer; it's huge and making a mess of the sidewalk. There's a registered champion sequoia hugging my dentist's building in Kirkland that I just love. They're so easy to spot at a distance around here - grown like specimen trees, they're perfectly symmetrical triangles. Sequoias might do better here for longer than the redwoods; I read a NYTimes article not long ago that one threat to the redwood forests in northern CA was the gradual lessening of the dense fogs that provide the trees a lot of moisture.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostThu Nov 02, 2023 4:25 pm 
there is a very nice grove of sequoias on the northwest side of Green Lake. I enjoy the redwoods that are just adjacent to the Japanese Garden at the Arboretum. There is also a nice redwood stand on the east side of Lincoln Park.... cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")

Anne Elk
mike

mike
PostThu Nov 02, 2023 6:13 pm 
In the early 90's a friend was passing out redwood whips in gallon pots. I planted a couple by the house and gave my dad a couple. They are 24"dbh now and growing fast. About 20 years ago my daughter gave me a sequoia. It's in the photo left.