Forum Index > Gear Talk > Tape Recommendation for Fixing Cracks in Cross Country Ski Boot
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rossb

rossb
PostFri Nov 17, 2023 1:02 pm 
I have a cross country ski boot that is developing cracks on the top layer (which I'm pretty sure is vinyl). The boot is still functional, but I would like to patch it up. I figure a high-end tape is the best bet. The tape needs to be strong, and weather-resistant (snow, slush, freezing temperatures, etc.). It also needs to be reasonably flexible, as this is the part of the boot that flexes (as I kick-and-glide). I'm thinking either Tenacious Tape, or All-Weather Gorilla Tape. I'm leaning towards the first one. Thoughts? Note: I know this fix won't won't last forever, but the binding type is outdated. This means that I would have to find comfortable (discontinued) boots, or a whole new set of gear (boots, bindings, skis) and I like my skis (a lot). So the longer I can make my current system last, the better. Thanks in advance.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 17, 2023 1:13 pm 
You could also look at: https://www.tear-aid.com/ I've used their Type A to repair mattress pads and been pretty happy with it, not sure how well it would work on boots, but it is flexible and waterproof.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostFri Nov 17, 2023 7:39 pm 
I've used Tenacious Tape on a pair of Solomon Profil boots with pretty good results. Tom's Tear-Aid interests me. Only process experience thoughts I think worth passing on are to be sure to round the corners of the patch of tape you apply. And take time to figure out the possible stresses on the patch, optimum orientation of your patch strip. It's entirely possible several patch strips would work better, longer, than a single piece.

Off trail rambler
contour5

contour5
PostSat Nov 18, 2023 9:04 pm 
A lot of adhesives will fail in really cold conditions. What about a vinyl or metal strap affixed with rivets. You would probably need to rivet from the inside out to minimize any Protrusions inside the boot. Rivet guns are cheap and Easy to use. Practice on some scrap material first! Youíll also need a drill with the right size bit to make a hole for the Rivet.Rivets are pretty commonly used on the hooks and eyelets on hiking boots and ski boots. They are super durable.

rossb

rossb
PostSun Nov 19, 2023 8:50 am 
Eric Hansen wrote:
I've used Tenacious Tape on a pair of Solomon Profil boots with pretty good results.
Great. That is exactly the type of boot I have. I think I'll go with that, although I may check out the Tear-Aid as well -- that looks good. I'm afraid rivets just wouldn't work, based on where the rip is.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Nov 19, 2023 10:53 am 
I would try putting Tenacious Tape on the inside as well.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun Nov 19, 2023 12:17 pm 
Tenacious tape also comes in nylon, which might hold up better in high-stress applications. And I second Randito's suggestion about possibly using tape on both sides.

rossb

rossb
PostSun Nov 19, 2023 1:51 pm 
I'm afraid I can't tape it on the inside, simply because of the way the boot is constructed. It is a complicated boot, but for this section is is basically a fabric section (surrounding foam I assume) glued to a nylon outer. The nylon outer is cracked. I would have to remove the inner section, and there is no easy way to do that since it is glued to the outer. I would end up ripping it.

rossb

rossb
PostSun Nov 19, 2023 2:11 pm 
Navy salad wrote:
Tenacious tape also comes in nylon, which might hold up better in high-stress applications.
Hmm, I didn't realize it varied so much until just now. Here is the main product page: https://www.gearaid.com/collections/tenacious-tape. Of those, the rolls of tape seems best. But even with those I have the choice of nylon (in three colors), or ripstop nylon (in two colors) or vinyl (which is clear). Then there are the Flex Patches, which are made out of TPU. They bill themselves as for heavy duty applications, and this will definitely get stretched. Weather is also a big concern though too. So you are thinking nylon will be more durable? I was leaning nylon, but without much to back up my choice (it seems to be the default). I don't know much about plastics. Hey Eric, do you remember what type of tape you used?

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Nov 19, 2023 3:33 pm 
Ross, if you're in the area, it couldn't hurt to show the boots to the cobblers extraordinaire at Dave Page over in Fremont. They might have a sew-on solution of some kind.

"There are yahoos out there. Itís why we canít have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostMon Nov 20, 2023 2:53 pm 
Ross, it's been awhile. My vague memory is "repair tape", like they started simple with one product and now have added on.

Off trail rambler
rossb

rossb
PostMon Nov 20, 2023 5:11 pm 
Thanks Eric. I may end up buying two different types, or just go with the ones that look like the default. As far as Dave Page goes, I thought about it Anne. I don't think that is the type of fix he does. Theoretically he can fix any boot, but it more about the covering (which is vinyl) and has nothing to do with the sole. It isn't really a "boot-type" problem. I mentioned it to someone at REI (who was doing other work for me) and he basically said "you should put tape on it", instead of "sure, we'll fix it". The general consensus is that this will buy me some time, but not that much (I'm hoping for a season or two).

Anne Elk
Gil

Gil
PostMon Nov 20, 2023 6:04 pm 
A few years ago I was skiing on a cold January day east of Bunsen Peak in Yellowstone when I met a guy coming downhill very gingerly. He stopped to talk and said the sole of his ski boot had ripped off! He had tried tying it together with a shoestring but it wasnt working too well. Duct tape to the rescue. I had a good amount wrapped on my poles and around my first aid kit. We got the boot wrapped together pretty well, he warmed up his toes, then headed back toward Mammoth Hot Springs.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Nov 20, 2023 6:35 pm 
rossb wrote:
As far as Dave Page goes, I thought about it Anne. I don't think that is the type of fix he does. Theoretically he can fix any boot, but it more about the covering (which is vinyl) and has nothing to do with the sole. It isn't really a "boot-type" problem.
For sure they're the sole repair kings, but top-notch cobblers can also do certain top repairs. I have to go down there soon b/c my Lowe trail shoe soles need repair, and I'll inquire. I've been putting it off b/c parking in Fremont is such a pain, but now I have two reasons to go.

"There are yahoos out there. Itís why we canít have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostMon Nov 20, 2023 9:59 pm 
Only other thought I had was finding others who have been down this path. Being Solomon Profil I'm thinking it is a groomed Nordic skiing database. Trick is to find a chat page for that tribe. I just checked "our" (Wisconsin, Minnesota) regional Nordic page skinnyski.com, and no chat page. Possible there is one in the PNW or California?

Off trail rambler