Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > A population of hard-to-eradicate ‘super pigs’ in Canada is threatening to invade the US
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Nov 22, 2023 9:21 am 
Pigs are not native to North America. While they’ve roamed parts of the continent for centuries, Canada’s problem dates back only to the 1980s when it encouraged farmers to raise wild boar. The market collapsed after peaking in 2001 and some frustrated farmers simply cut their fences, setting the animals free. They are often crossbreeds that combine the survival skills of wild Eurasian boar with the size and high fertility of domestic swine to create a “super pig” that’s spreading out of control. The feral swine has been called “the most invasive animal on the planet” and “an ecological train wreck.” The pigs are very good at surviving Canadian winters. Smart, adaptable and furry, they eat anything, including crops and wildlife. They tear up land when they root for bugs and crops. They can spread devastating diseases to hog farms like African swine fever. And they reproduce quickly. A sow can have six piglets in a litter and raise two litters in a year. That means 65% or more of a wild pig population could be killed every year and it will still increase. Hunting just makes the problem worse. The success rate for hunters is only about 2% to 3% and several states have banned hunting because it makes the pigs more wary and nocturnal — tougher to track down and eradicate. https://apnews.com/article/wild-pigs-feral-swine-canada-minnesota-border-e59a542efb3c64d5f4b136fc137b7665

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Nov 22, 2023 10:33 am 
How are they different from the boars let loose several times in the Skagit, and all killed out each time? One wonders if WDFW knew exactly who released them each time, but not to a courtroom level of evidence, or if so, they chose not to alienate that entitled locals.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 22, 2023 12:44 pm 
Time to publicize that they can be hunted without the need of a license or seasons. I know of some yahoos who like to take their hounds out at night to chase and harass wildlife. How could this be less fun for them?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Nov 22, 2023 11:46 pm 
If the populous were hungry, there would be a wild pig shortage, not a surplus. I had relatives that hunted wild pigs around Chico and Salinas, CA and their population was controlled. One cousin cooked a pig that he shot for a family reunion on a Rotisserie-smoker and it was so damn good eatin'

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Nov 23, 2023 6:34 am 
Ahhh, a new youtube channel: Food Bank Hunters.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostThu Nov 23, 2023 7:42 pm 
up.gif

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Nov 24, 2023 7:41 am 
They have completely overrun California. On pretty much every hike in the Napa Valley I would see fresh damage from pigs, but I never saw a single pig. The retreat to dense chapparal during the day. I have read that the way to hunt them is to seek out the thickest vegetation and just start thrashing your way in, because that is where they will be found. Doesn't sound like much fun to me. I occasionally buy wild boar meat at Double D Meats, and the ground meat has recently appeared in mainstream grocery stores. Ranches - mostly in Texas - use walk-in traps and then take the captured pigs to a slaughterhouse for processing. IMO there is no better tasting meat, but the animals are not systematically slaughtered at the optimal age for tender meat, so the buyer must assume that the roasts will be tough and need to be cooked accordingly. The meat is surprisingly inexpensive considering how it is obtained. Buy wild boar meat and help America!

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

Chief Joseph
RichP

RichP
PostFri Nov 24, 2023 5:32 pm 
I grew up in the SE and wild boar was a staple at our house. They were eradicated from the island where we lived after development when they started rooting up golf courses. Apparently, they were originally dropped off by early European explorers who would use them as a food source when they came up and down the coast. My older bro would trap them in pins and we kept the small ones and he would give away the big ones.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Nov 24, 2023 7:10 pm 
That's the answer to the out of control wild pig population...build more golf courses....people will put up with a lot, but don't mess with their 'Gof'. I have always wondered why so many pronounce "Golf" with the "l" being silent, that just seems weird to me.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Nov 24, 2023 9:10 pm 
altasnob wrote:
The feral swine has been called “the most invasive animal on the planet” and “an ecological train wreck.”
That's utter nonsense -- anyone with properly functioning neural circuitry know the "most invasive species" is Homo sapiens. And the “an ecological train wreck.” award certainly belongs to the species that caused the Exxon Valdez oil spill, Chernobyl, Minamata, Leaded gasoline and Deepwater Horizon to name but a few.
altasnob wrote:
Pigs are not native to North America.
Niether are Cattle, sheep, goats, wheat, lentils, rice, dogs, rats, mice and humans or many other species.

Ski
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Nov 27, 2023 9:29 am 
Nothing this yummy can get too overpopulated. I actually wish we had more...

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Nov 27, 2023 1:25 pm 
I was in the Kalalua valley in Kauai in February....about 1 hour up from the beach...and the pigs and goats have really taken apart the ground by digging up a lot of roots since the humans were outed out of this valley. They sure do a lot of destruction. Are these non native hogs tasty?

Art is an adventure.
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Nov 27, 2023 7:37 pm 
Stefan wrote:
Are these non native hogs tasty?
So long as you avoid the older ones, yup.

domaz

domaz
PostTue Nov 28, 2023 9:48 am 
I don't think we can eat our way out of this issue unless the price of conventional pork meat goes up. The labor in hunting and processing a wild population is going to be way way higher than the cost of conventionally raised pork. That's just the reality, unless you can convince people it's tastier or more ethical to eat, both of which is a hard sell in today's environment.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Nov 28, 2023 6:31 pm 
No problem with folks harvesting invasive species we shot hundreds of rabbits in OZ at farmers invitations.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn