Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > henry kissinger
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Dec 07, 2023 7:03 pm 
Obama honoring Kissinger He was honored by every succeeding President at some point.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Dec 07, 2023 7:28 pm 
Does it matter to you what some politician thinks? What do you think? I have 4 older bothers, some of which were of age but were spared the horrors. When I worked my way through college painting dorms my boss was a former vet and I gained an appreciation for what he went thru.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Dec 07, 2023 7:52 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
I know nothing of the man, but I find it strange that on a political blog that I frequent, most have good things to say about him.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste, Joseph.
So is time, and you seem to waste a lot of that here, lol.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

Shred
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Dec 07, 2023 9:49 pm 
The timeless challenge facing all diplomats, Kissinger observed, is having to make pivotal decisions when time is short, information is incomplete, and consequences are unknowable. Unlike the historian, the academic, or the analyst, Henry wrote, ďThe statesman is permitted only one guess; his mistakes are irretrievable.Ē Before he became National Security Advisor and Secretary of State he was a refugee from Nazi Germany, was drafted into the US Army, saw combat duty at the Battle of the Bulge, and was awarded a Bronze Star. He lived through the Cold War and under threat of mutually assured destruction, and bore significant responsibilities for the welfare of the nation.

runup

runup
PostThu Dec 07, 2023 9:52 pm 
A different perspective of the antiwar movement referenced above, and one that I largely share: https://online.fliphtml5.com/zitw/eohq/#p=1 No one who experienced that era is likely to change their heartfelt convictions on these issues over 50 years later. Acknowledgment of the divergent viewpoints is probably the best that might be expected. Those were the days, my friends Ö

Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!

Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!
PostThu Dec 07, 2023 10:07 pm 
The post here that claims children should be required to give up their lives for nothing, without even being allowed to ask why, based on some idiotic poem, is the most evil and stupid thing ever written.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Dec 07, 2023 10:47 pm 
Lord Tennyson wrote that poem back in the 19th Century when war was seen as a romantic endeavor. I much prefer the poems of William Owen the "poet of the trenches" who died in the ironically named "War to end Wars". As to Senator Webbs views I agree that in the beginning all the wars I mentioned were viewed very favorably by the citizens of the aggressors. By the end however, reality bites. Blessed be the peace makers - JC

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Dec 08, 2023 12:08 am 
Slugman wrote:
The post here that claims children should be required to give up their lives for nothing, without even being allowed to ask why, based on some idiotic poem, is the most evil and stupid thing ever written.
I think you misunderstood; the poster is citing the poem because the incident during the Crimean War that it commemorates exemplifies war's futility.
Wikipedia wrote:
Tennyson wrote the poem based on two articles published in The Times: the first, published on 13 November 1854, contained the sentence "The British soldier will do his duty, even to certain death, and is not paralyzed by the feeling that he is the victim of some hideous blunder," the last three words of which provided the inspiration for his phrase "Some one had blunder'd."
But returning to the Kissinger debate and vis a vis Vietnam, I wonder if anyone posting about it has ever watched the entire Ken Burns' 10 part doc The Vietnam War. I saw it the year of its release and learned a lot. You don't see talking head politicians in that entire program. I'm sorry that some vets think everyone in this era who criticizes the US role in the war are attacking them, as did a lot of misguided peaceniks during the 60's and 70's. In 'Vietnam War,' Ken Burns Wrestles With The Conflict's Contradictions This discussion includes clips from the doc: The Vietnam War: A Discussion with Ken Burns

"There are yahoos out there. Itís why we canít have nice things." - Tom Mahood

day_hike_mike, Ski
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Dec 08, 2023 6:09 am 
I saw the entire Burns series. In addition on the way back from Oz I visited Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, and most of SE Asia in 1974, and Vietnam in 1979 on business. My firm aided in resettling Vietnamese refugees and establishing business with Vietnam for the State Department. Last year we visited Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand as tourists and observed the results of the war and the many changes since.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Dec 08, 2023 7:21 am 
you are attacking us when you criticize the US because we swore an oath to defend it againist all enemies foreign and domestic and the word here is 'domestic'. read vince flynns book term limits. I am not saying any war is necessary, only saying every male child in the US is obligated to 6 years of service. You dont want to go to war then do something to support the troops. here is another you should read.. https://dailymontanan.com/2023/12/07/would-we-be-willing-to-do-what-we-did-82-years-ago-to-win/

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Dec 08, 2023 7:32 am 
what I don't understand is why all the foreign peoples bash the US for it's interference in other countries policies and yet they try their hardest to get here. why?? free basic education, free food, jobs, housing, freedom to do mostly as they please which they could not do in their own country and yet will not fight to make their own country free....we taught the vietnamese how to fight, gave them munitions and when the enemy walked into town they gave up...same happened in iraq, billions spent and weapons left for them to defend their country. middle east like south east asia been at war for so long they don't know what freedom is.

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostFri Dec 08, 2023 8:47 am 
This is the key paragraph in that article: "Rationing, as draconian as it seems, demonstrated a few key points. It required a recognition of a greater good that would place the welfare of the country above the importance of self. Maybe we have emphasized the rights and privileges of the individual while not focusing enough on how it is we can allow the individual such importance." The article is correct, as we have clearly demonstrated in the recent past.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Ski
><((((į>

Ski
><((((į>
PostFri Dec 08, 2023 8:51 am 
RE: "every male child in the US is obligated to 6 years of service." RLY? news to me! 82 years ago we were attacked by a foreign nation. Vietnam never attacked us. You are conflating two entirely separate issues.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Dec 08, 2023 11:36 am 
cdestroyer wrote:
you are attacking us when you criticize the US because we swore an oath to defend it againist all enemies foreign and domestic and the word here is 'domestic'.
You think people with different opinions are your enemies???

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Dec 08, 2023 1:23 pm 
What a trip down memory lane, the type of comments by CD were common in the late 60ís and were uttered by presidential aides and governors including Ohio before Kent State. The arguments broke up families, estranged children from parents, and caused many assualts. They were even said here when political discussion was allowed when some of us objected to the Iraq war and led to the rule against politics.

Ski