Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Whyoming to sell state trust land next to Grand Teton NP for McMansions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Dec 06, 2023 7:27 am 
The land, 640-acres in size, is currently owned by Wyoming as trust land. The land is adjacent to Grand Teton National Park and the state offered it to the park service for $46 million. The park service said they didn't have the cash so now the state is offering it to the highest bidder. The land is appraised for $62.4 million. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/06/opinion/development-national-parks-wyoming.html?unlocked_article_code=1.D00.iE1N.FzTIv1Iulc3F&smid=url-share

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Dec 08, 2023 8:35 am 
yeah? so who want to live in Wyoming, for God's sake? besides, if they're living in Wyoming, they're not living here. more concerned about the 5-foot setbacks and ADUs here in the city, but... you know... gotta have that "housing density" thing going now, right? dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
backpacker92out

backpacker92out
PostFri Dec 08, 2023 12:05 pm 
Ski wrote:
yeah? so who want to live in Wyoming, for God's sake? besides, if they're living in Wyoming, they're not living here. more concerned about the 5-foot setbacks and ADUs here in the city, but... you know... gotta have that "housing density" thing going now, right? dizzy.gif
you are right, no one really wants to LIVE in wyoming just "SUMMER" there. It will be for the rich who already have homes in Washington, California or New York (maybe a random Texan too)

ScottP

ScottP
PostFri Dec 08, 2023 1:27 pm 
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Dec 08, 2023 1:54 pm 
Wyoming has a tiny population, and for a reason. No one will move there because of all the nutty morons who live there already. It’s a third world flyover state, the only attraction is wilderness on Federal land that Wyoming had nothing to do with protecting.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Dec 08, 2023 2:03 pm 
Yeah but the Dutton clan dump the bodies there hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Dec 09, 2023 12:08 am 
Wyoming was part of my sales territory. Up and down I-25 over and over and over and over and.... Other than Yellowstone, Tetons, Wind River, and Gallatin, pretty much the only things they have are jackrabbits, antelopes, rocks, and wind. Interesting rocks (some of the oldest on the planet up on the highway between I-25 and Buffalo) but the non-stop wind is enough to drive you crazy.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Dec 09, 2023 7:24 am 
That article was full of "mights" and "coulds". Note that the money goes to the schools. Children. Shouldn't altasnob be happy? Maybe if there weren't so many children, the pressure to sell might be less? Would it be better to develop it for low income people? Those that do the work in Jackson? Would a mobile home park--the ultimate low income housing, be welcomed? Nope. As to the snarks about fly over country, you really shouldn't be flying if you consider yourself to be concerned about the health of the planet, and that includes that parcel of land. It's amusing to me to hear folks who likely MOVED to my state, inflating land values and crowding, whine about what MIGHT happen in Wyoming. Were you planning on moving there yourself?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Ski
domaz

domaz
PostSat Dec 09, 2023 10:37 am 
Ski wrote:
more concerned about the 5-foot setbacks and ADUs here in the city, but... you know... gotta have that "housing density" thing going now, right? dizzy.gif
Maybe it's radical but I'd rather have density than have real estate prices so high no one can afford it. "Neighborhood character" should not be used as a magical crutch to deny additional housing to be built.

Krylon
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Dec 09, 2023 12:40 pm 
Interesting price differential factoid:The Greater Yellowstone Coalition recently purchased just under 1600 acres to preserve it from a proposed gold mine, as was mentioned in one of our grizzly threads. 1600 acres adjoining Yellowstone went for $6.25M but the state wanted $46M for this 460 acre Teton parcel; now it's appraised at over $62M? Better views? Sounds like a Wall St. pump-&-dump scheme aimed precisely at the Jackson land speculators and deep-pocket seasonal residents. But the state is rightly concerned about revenue since one of its primary sources (oil & gas drilling) is going to be shrinking as the country increasingly converts to EVs. Wyoming was my first taste of The West, back in the 70's - the Wind River Range - which I know is special to a number of members here also. I worked on a ranch there one summer, and revisited my old stomping grounds again in '91. I was pleasantly surprised in '91 by how little had changed. I went through again in 2021 on a cross-country drive. The town of Dubois still looked mostly the same, but the first sign that things were different was a branch of the Bank of Jackson Hole on the main drag. Later, my personal contacts in Dubois told me that people working in the area were finding it difficult to find a home to buy in Dubois, or even rent. Uh-oh. Apparently Dubois is now getting "spillover" from Jackson in all the ways one might expect, despite it being 90 miles east and over Togwotie (sp?) Pass.
domaz wrote:
Maybe it's radical but I'd rather have density than have real estate prices so high no one can afford it. "Neighborhood character" should not be used as a magical crutch to deny additional housing to be built.
More density in urban areas is good. But density up-zoning (at least in Seattle) has absolutely not resulted in affordable housing. My next-door neighbor here in Ballard sold his little SF house on a minimum-size lot to a developer who built 5 townhouses on it, all going for between $600-700K. That's not remotely affordable for the average family, unless they work in tech. It's an accepted fact that part of the reason for housing unaffordability is the fact that hedge funds, REITs, foreign investors and the AirBnB phenomenon have captured a lot of the market and inflated it. Vancouver suffers from this even more than we do. Thanks for posting the link,Altasnob. I read the NYT almost daily but missed it.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Songs2

Songs2
PostSat Dec 09, 2023 3:41 pm 
Local outrage; auction suspended for a year while negotiations continue.
Quote:
Wyoming’s governor and other top leaders decided Thursday to hold off on auctioning a big chunk of state-owned land within Grand Teton National Park, choosing instead to continue negotiations with the U.S. government on a purchase or land swap for the pristine and valuable property.
AP News

Anne Elk
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Dec 09, 2023 5:50 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
"... hedge funds, REITs, foreign investors ..."
You can do multi-family and urban density until hell freezes over, but it will not address the issue of "affordability" until those three issues are dealt with. We should NOT be selling American soil to foreign nationals. I don't care if they're Chinese, Japanese, or WhatEverEse - NO! Short-sighted, and unbelievably STUPID.

Anne Elk
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Dec 10, 2023 1:21 am 
Slugman wrote:
No one will move there because of all the nutty morons who live there already.
Yea, like Liz Cheney, but not sure that she still lives there after the voters sent her packing.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Dec 11, 2023 5:57 am 
There is more to Wyoming than just the rich part, just like there is more to our state than the Pugetropolis area. Even though i differ with folks thoughts on what must not be mentioned, in this area, I find it a much more polite and laid back area than Pugetropolis. I bet Wyoming is the same. While you worry about going into areas where your GPS and phone won't work, I frequently ride in those areas. I figure if my bike breaks down, I can get a ride with a local who may drive by in a while. When I rode my bike up to Salmon Meadows, a couple folks stopped to talk, and the rest waved. It's a place that might be hard to understand, and I'd bet the rest of Wyoming--the part that doesn't get the rich people, is similar. My fear is that change is coming with the folks fleeing to here. It's already begun. After seeing the change to the Wenatchee area, where I am "from", this change is going to be very unpleasant. At least we don't have the Columbia River to create choke points and I doubt the tribe will allow development on their side of the valley. Since moving back to here, I can see new construction going on our hilltops and hillsides. It's here. It sucks.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Anne Elk, Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Dec 11, 2023 8:02 am 
treeswarper wrote:
My fear is that change is coming with the folks fleeing to here. It's already begun. After seeing the change to the Wenatchee area, where I am "from", this change is going to be very unpleasant. At least we don't have the Columbia River to create choke points and I doubt the tribe will allow development on their side of the valley. Since moving back to here, I can see new construction going on our hilltops and hillsides. It's here. It sucks.
It is a legitimate concern. On the way to Wyoming, we passed through Meridian, Nampa, and Boise and the growth there is crazy. The (main) fear is that the (item that can't be mentioned) will be controlled by that metropolitan area, thus making the rest of the state and those (like me) out in the sticks will lose control of the state...much like King county pretty much dictates what happens with (the item that can't be mentioned), of the entire state. The system is broken. But this is ho hum, old news and not likely to change, doesn't mean we have to like it though. Strength in numbers? Majority rules? The only thing that kind of keeps major change is that the climate is a bit harsh for those escaping from the mess that they themselves created. You reap what you sow.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.