Forum Index > Gear Talk > Improving Bear Canisters
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Evan_W

Evan_W
PostThu Dec 07, 2023 2:27 pm 
Hi all, I am an engineering student and am working on creating a better bear canister. Please fill out the survey attached to provide my group with some much needed info. Bear Canister Survey

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
huron

huron
PostThu Dec 07, 2023 2:29 pm 
There's already lots of bear cannisters out there. Any other homework we can do for you?

Ski
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Dec 07, 2023 3:38 pm 
Good luck with your studies Evan! Trying to improve a device sounds like a good idea.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostThu Dec 07, 2023 7:11 pm 
I think more sizes could be useful. Rather than just "big", "medium", and "tall". I'd love a small and compact one that easily fits inside a small overnight pack, for example. Also, a pretty common complaint is how hard they are to open when your fingers are cold. Looks like your form captures that though so you're probably aware.
huron wrote:
There's already lots of bear cannisters out there. Any other homework we can do for you?
What a lame and unfriendly response.

Flickr | Strava

rossb, Navy salad, snowmonkey
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostThu Dec 07, 2023 8:30 pm 
Well said zimmertr Evan_W, thanks for your studies. Always good to ask if there is room for improvement

Off trail rambler

snowmonkey
huron

huron
PostThu Dec 07, 2023 8:53 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
Exactly. This is what the OP's inquiry deserves. The linked questions are a marketing survey. If the OP is truly a student trying to outsource coursework to a forum, ok I guess that's engineering alright. Social engineering. BareBoxer fits in a camelbak and holds a weekend's worth for solo.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostThu Dec 07, 2023 9:04 pm 
When I was in school I had to do a similar project for my capstone. Methinks you're too fast to assume malice.

Flickr | Strava

rossb
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Dec 07, 2023 9:54 pm 
I do not like thee Doctor Fell, The reason why I cannot tell; But this I know and know full well, I do not like thee Doctor Fell.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSat Dec 09, 2023 9:49 am 
zimmertr wrote:
I think more sizes could be useful. Rather than just "big", "medium", and "tall". I'd love a small and compact one that easily fits inside a small overnight pack, for example. Also, a pretty common complaint is how hard they are to open when your fingers are cold. Looks like your form captures that though so you're probably aware.
huron wrote:
There is likely some minimum dimension that prevents a grizzly’s mouth from gripping a container that preclude some diameters or heights. If it can crush it or walk off with it game over. So perhaps 6” diameter by 6” tall may be the minimum. Where allowed a URSACK is more compact.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau

zimmertr
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Dec 09, 2023 12:24 pm 
Inflight wrote:
There is likely some minimum dimension that prevents a grizzly’s mouth from gripping a container that preclude some diameters or heights.
Somewhere on this website you'll find a post of mine in which I related the major points from a phone conversation I had with the son of the founder of the Garcia bear canister company one day, who was running the company during his father's absence. You will never buy a "mini" bear canister for one very simple reason: If a bear can get it into its jaws, it's all over. Bear 1, Canister 0 Bear wins EVERY TIME. Wouldn't matter if you had Scotty whip up a canister made of Pure Neutronium, BEAR is going to win if he can get his teeth around it. Ergo: bear canisters MUST be big and bulky. ^ This applies not only to Grizzly Bears but also Black Bears, Brown Bears, Purple Bears, and Polka-Dot Bears.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Dec 09, 2023 1:28 pm 
The bears in Yosemite have learned to push them off cliffs. Better make them out of 1” stainless or armor plate.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Dec 10, 2023 8:22 pm 
Put bear lockers in most popular backcountry camping areas. You want people to do something? Make it easy/desirable for them. Best thing for the bears, too.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Dec 12, 2023 11:47 am 
I filled out the survey, but the questions are limiting; it asks preference (bag or canister) - bags aren't legal to use in some areas, so what my preference is doesn't matter in those cases; I also use an Ursack as well as a Garcia, so there isn't a way for me to say that. And the questions about ease to open seem to be a question about bear canisters in general; mine is very easy to open, but others I have used are not. (though there is a place for me to name the brand I use, but I have used others that are lousy). Anyway, good luck with the project.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Dec 12, 2023 1:13 pm 
In areas where there are Griz and problems with black bears, I just fast for a few days or just eat fish, no need for a canister, maybe bring a few nuts, lol....protein powder.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Dec 13, 2023 1:03 am 
Need to make them stronger!! Many bears these days can just CRUSH the cans at will!! You're hearing more and more reports of CRUSHED bear cans every year