Forum Index > Trail Talk > issues on Spencer Island
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostFri Jan 19, 2024 7:53 am 
Some conflicts are arising on Spencer Island in the Snohomish river delta. Please be careful if you hike there.... https://www.heraldnet.com/news/in-everett-wetlands-hunters-and-birdwatchers-navigate-a-shared-space/

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Jan 20, 2024 1:05 pm 
Nothing to do with the issue but some trivia on the island. I knew Lucy Spencer whose parents came from England and homesteaded the island. The family was closely related to Princess Diana. Lucy spent many summers as a child at the Big Four Inn. The bridge to the island was the former "Jacknife Bridge" over Ebey Slough on Homeacres Road from Ebey Island and I used to drive across it every day until the county built a new bridge in 1977 (the historic sign now on the bridge is completely incorrect). Dick Eitel, owner of Fisherman's Boat Shop in Everett bought the surplused bridge and it was a real circus watching them trying to move it. They started with a wrecking ball on a crane to try and break up the counterweight, which was presumed to not have much steel in it and was the main reason the bridge was condemned. It didn't make a dent in the concrete so they tried a larger ball, which broke off the cable after a few swings and fell through the bridge deck and into the mud. To retrieve the ball, they chained it to the rear of a flatbed truck, gave the chain some slack, and then got a running start with a slack chain. They tore the entire back end of the truck off. Next they spent several weeks drilling the concrete and placing dynamite. This had to be repeated several times because the counterweight had so much rebar it it that you could barely fit a hand between the bars. Finally free of the counterweight they brought in two cranes and a barge. They had difficulty positioning the cranes at each end and one tipped over on the first attempt to lift the bridge but they finally did it and brought the bridge down to the Port of Everett where it sat for several years. Eitel manage to sell it back to the County for its current use as a footbridge.

Anne Elk, Chief Joseph, Cyclopath, sarbar, day_hike_mike, marta, contour5, SlingShot
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Jan 20, 2024 1:34 pm 
The hunting issue is very similar to one near my house on Whidbey Island. The woods to the north of Greenbank Farm has a couple of miles of hiking trail in a loop and deer hunting is permitted in the center - only with bow or black powder. The trails are heavily used. In the 8 years we've lived here I've only seen one hunter there so no conflicts that I've heard of.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Feb 05, 2024 5:57 pm 
I'd say they'd do better to do what Trillium does north of Freeland - where, for hunting season, they shut the woods down to everyone but hunters. We live across the road from one of the main entrances to this hiking area. We do see a lot of hunters in that time period yearly. And I am OK with it. It keeps down the deer. So many end up dead on the road and it supports a massive coyote population - which they use my land to cross to the Trillium. We are only a couple miles from you!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Dick B

Dick B
PostMon Feb 05, 2024 8:24 pm 
The spencer Island bridge incident and its problems, brings to mind an event that happened down here on the Oregon Coast in 1970. Most of you have probably heard of it and seen the videos. For those that have not, the story goes like this. A dead 5 ton 40 foot long sperm whale washed up on a sandy beach near Florence Oregon. Since beaches are considered state highways here in Oregon, the State transportation department was tasked with getting rid of it. Google "blowing up a whale 1970" or some such thing. I would send a link if I knew how. I think the funniest one I saw was recorded live by a Eugene TV station if you can find that.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Feb 05, 2024 8:33 pm 
That's an eternally hilarious video 😂

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Feb 06, 2024 12:48 am 
Schroder wrote:
Eitel managed to sell it back to the County for its current use as a footbridge.
So clique'...I wonder if he began with, "I have a bridge to sell you"? Maybe humans should just let nature take its course? Lol !@ the smashed Cadillac, (no offense) or is that a Lincoln? Mess with the whale and you get the blubber.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

gb
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Feb 06, 2024 6:55 am 
For all such things you should consult an engineer and demolition expert before continuing with gut feeling and "common sense".

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
the1mitch

the1mitch
PostTue Feb 06, 2024 2:29 pm 
Great story Sir!

illegitimi non carborundum!
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Feb 06, 2024 2:36 pm 
Are you saying using a box of random TNT isn't a good idea? lol.gif

the1mitch
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Feb 06, 2024 4:40 pm 
Things in the middle of an explosion still go somewhere unless it is nuclear.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Feb 06, 2024 5:08 pm 
Every year, on the anniversary of the exploded whale, the Portland media replay the story. It's getting rather tiresome.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Feb 07, 2024 10:10 am 
Before I retired I did forensics, including on things that exploded. One thing I learned is that the exclusion zone for debris from a high velocity detonation is one mile, not a quarter mile. TNT is the quintessential producer of a high velocity detonation and in fact a stick of dynamite is specifically formulated for that. This was all figured out by Alfred Nobel, so a long time ago. The distance that debris is thrown is largely independent of how much TNT is being used, it is the velocity of the pressure wave that matters most. A chunk of TNT the size of a marble can be detonated under an overturned pot and some particles will be thrown a mile. Since all this falls under Explosives 101, it seems that the "highway engineer" who set the whale up to explode didn't have the slightest idea what he was doing. bricks.gif shakehead.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Dick B

Dick B
PostWed Feb 07, 2024 2:04 pm 
Maybe ODOT should publish a manual on how to blow up a whale. # sticks, placement, safety radius depending on the size of the whale. When I was a kid, I once went with my great uncle to blow up stumps on his Whidbey Island stump farm. He was an ex-logger and knew the ratio of sticks to the size of the stump. Something like one stick per inch of diameter. Worked every time.

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Feb 27, 2024 7:53 pm 
One more anecdote on that bridge. In 1976 there was a really cheesy movie filmed there - "Joyride". They were using the water pipeline next to it on Homeacres Road as the Alaska oil pipeline. Every day for a couple of weeks I would drive by while Melanie Griffith, Desi Arnez Jr., and Robert Carradine were standing around in the cold.

sarbar