Forum Index > Trail Talk > Death on New Hampshire Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Jan 21, 2024 2:38 pm 
It's another head-scratcher, but demonstrates again that the "experienced" can be overconfident and perhaps neglectful of the 10 Essentials. The NY Times reported: Experienced hiker on a day trip found deceased after SAR reached him, unfortunately too many hours after his distress call.

"There are yahoos out there. Itís why we canít have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSun Jan 21, 2024 4:09 pm 
I may have missed it, but where do you see it stated in the article the items that he was carrying with him?

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Jan 21, 2024 4:15 pm 
^^^ I didn't, which is why I qualified my comment with a "perhaps". It also seems a reasonable assumption that had the deceased been carrying the 10 essentials, he might have been able to stave off hypothermia until SAR got to him.

SeanSullivan86

SeanSullivan86
PostSun Jan 21, 2024 5:05 pm 
First and foremost, this is a sad tragedy. What a terrible thing for his family and friends. A series of experiences in his life, and unfortunate coincidences on the day, led him to this fate. Yes, it's a reminder for us to reconsider what we carry with us and reconsider what risks we take, especially when choosing to continue on solo and in bad weather. "10 essentials" is not a true/false thing, there's levels to each of these essentials. It seems he (having completed the AT/PCT/CDT) would have put thought into what he chose to bring and tragically it didn't work out for him. -- Regarding this area (Mt Guyot, just north of Mt Bond) in New Hampshire... it's unfortunately almost the farthest place from roads on any typical hike done in the state. 8+ miles by trail in any direction. I've hiked in in summer. Also its relatively high elevation (4500') puts you above treeline for a good length, probably worsened in winter when you're still below treeline but the snowpack on the trail makes you more exposed to the wind above the 6-foot trees that grow in that climate.

jaysway, dave allyn, catsp, runup
catsp

catsp
PostSun Jan 21, 2024 6:13 pm 
Was it the lack of a knife/multitool that got 'im? Or no headlamp maybe? Wait - maybe it was the sunscreen, one of the most underestimated of the ten ess'es? Nah, for my money, I'm thinking it was something else, like the lack of snowshoes. I don't actually know that he didn't have snowshoes, but that's what I'm going with if I have to guess. And since I'm on the internet, I believe I'm legally obligated to imagine and suppose. I mean, if someone I don't know sustains tragedy, I believe I can best honor his memory by using the unknown circumstances of his death as a creative writing prompt. To be honest, I hike stupidly most of the time. There's been more than a few times where I made the same stupid mistake I made before - one that I promised myself I wouldn't make again. So it's probably unsurprising that there's been more than one time when I thought, crap, I'm really on the edge of serious trouble here. But each time I have persevered (so far - fingers crossed!) because of one thing: I couldn't bear the thought of the second guessing internet sleuths. (Luckily I always forget that I'd be dead and it wouldn't matter, at least not to me, lol!) But the more I think about it, maybe it's time for a new sport? Seems to me, based on glancing at the online map, the picture accompanying the article, and having hiked extensively myself, including at least one time east of the Cascades (it appears that this happened east of the Cascades), that SAR should've been able to reach him in time. So maybe we should switch gears and imagine and suppose why SAR failed to do so? Poor route selection? Inadequate training, gear or motivation? Was anyone involved in a throuple situation? If only they had been better prepared.

runup
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Jan 21, 2024 7:06 pm 
RIP hiker Christopher ďRafikiĒ Roma. Condolences to family and friends. FWIW BPer Magazine has a notable sentence in their extensive article. "Roma had been attempting a single-day hike of the Pemigewasset Loop, a 31.5-mile traverse that crosses 8 of New Hampshires 4,000-foot mountains." https://www.backpacker.com/news-and-events/news/triple-crown-hiker-mourned-after-fatal-incident-in-white-mountains/

Off trail rambler

Brucester, Anne Elk, solohiker, runup
solohiker

solohiker
PostSun Jan 21, 2024 10:03 pm 
Thank you for the link. He seems like a very accomplished hiker, and great person. Sadly leaving behind a 2 yr old son. Weíve all erred at times, this one was sadly tragic.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Jan 21, 2024 11:18 pm 
Thanks for posting the link to that Backpacker article, Eric. Obviously a serious error/omission by the NYTimes, referring to Mr. Roma's trip merely as a "day hike".

NightOwl
NightOwl

NightOwl
PostMon Jan 22, 2024 12:01 am 
Ah, there you have it, a 37 old year old pursuing extreme sports personal bests despite having a 2 year old son. I'm reminded of Andrew McAuley, the 38 year old kayaker with a wife and baby son who decided now was the time to try a 1000 mile solo crossing of the Andaman Sea, but didn't make it. I respect the will to challenge yourself and do great things, but when you have a family that relies on you, young children facing the prospect of growing up without fathers, these obsessions become irresponsible narcissism at some point. I feel bad for the son; the father, not so much. And as someone noted, it's interesting how the paper of record tries to downplay the extremism, calling it a "day hike", emphasizing that he died doing what he loved, and not saying anything about a family other than he's survived by a 2 year old son. But all this is the nature of the age we live in, so this kind of scolding is rather pointless. I'm sure most people here will defend this guy, call it a mistake and a tragedy, and leave it at that. All I can say is I'm glad my dad wasn't like these guys...

bccarlso, Chief Joseph, Foist
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Jan 22, 2024 7:19 am 
NightOwl wrote:
this kind of scolding is rather pointless.
There, you summed up your own silly post. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Krylon, solohiker, dave allyn, thunderhead
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jan 22, 2024 9:49 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
Obviously a serious error/omission by the NYTimes, referring to Mr. Roma's trip merely as a "day hike".
Not necessarily. It has become a fashionable feat of strength to hike the Pemi loop as a day hike. And the backpacker article says that's what he was doing. To do it solo in January is insane, but I'm sure it's been done anyway.

hbb

hbb
PostMon Jan 22, 2024 10:00 am 
NightOwl wrote:
Ah, there you have it, a 37 old year old pursuing extreme sports personal bests despite having a 2 year old son.
Seems like a bit of a stretch to call hiking 31 miles an "extreme sport."

NightOwl

NightOwl
PostMon Jan 22, 2024 11:02 am 
hbb wrote:
NightOwl wrote:
Ah, there you have it, a 37 old year old pursuing extreme sports personal bests despite having a 2 year old son.
Seems like a bit of a stretch to call hiking 31 miles an "extreme sport."
I think hiking 31.5 miles over mountains, solo in January in New Hampshire, trying to set a personal best time, qualifies as extreme by non-extremist standards.

MtnManic, Mountainfisherman, Chief Joseph
neek

neek
PostMon Jan 22, 2024 11:22 am 
"Extreme" is subjective, no point in arguing about it. Clearly things were more extreme than he anticipated. The two rules of misogi are 1. make it really hard, 2. don't die. He broke one of those. The question is not how do we judge him, but rather how to we learn from him.

thunderhead, gb, jaysway, solohiker, Chief Joseph
DadFly

DadFly
PostMon Jan 22, 2024 2:27 pm 
NightOwl wrote:
All I can say is I'm glad my dad wasn't like these guys...
My dad survived through large amounts of luck. eek.gif I carried on that tradition until I had kids. They seem to have a well balanced approach to outdoor activities. All said and done, my dad and I, separately and together, had some incredible adventures! My daughters now also share in some great adventures. So I would prefer that you judge me for my grammatical errors.

"May you live in interesting times"