Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Stevens Pass - Old Photo
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostThu Jan 25, 2024 3:21 pm 
I found this photo posted elsewhere online. It's pretty cool. STEVENS PASS in 1926:

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.

bk, Cyclopath, Anne Elk, runup, hikerbiker, day_hike_mike, Now I Fly, RichP, Schroder, reststep, zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 7:29 am 
Great photo. Thanks for posting.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 11:56 am 
Is that colorized manually or with AI? 1926 is early for color photos, but possible. Great detail though. The lower sign says "God's Country, Don't Make It Look Like Hell" along with some smaller text I can't read.

RichP

RichP
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 8:33 pm 
Looks like " Don't let it be on fire and make it look like hell."

Cyclopath
Dick B

Dick B
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 8:36 pm 
The attached photo is the approach to Stevens Pass from the west. Its looking down on the old Wellington (Tye) townsite between the snowsheds and the entrance to the 2 mile tunnel. It is now the east end of the Iron Goat Trail. The photo must have been taken after the town was abandoned when the 7 mile tunnel was opened. The road coming up the canyon to the left was still the highway when we traveled the pass back in the 40s.
. The road at that time left at Scenic, came up the Tye River, then tied into the old original RR switch back grade and continued to the top of the pass.

Cyclopath, Anne Elk, runup, hikerbiker
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Jan 27, 2024 7:58 am 
Dick B wrote:
The road at that time left at Scenic, came up the Tye River, then tied into the old original RR switch back grade and continued to the top of the pass.
That road was resurrected in 1968 when the highway was rebuilt and widened. All traffic on Highway 2 detoured up that for most of the year. It was drivable until the floods in the 80's washed out the bridge.

Dick B
timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Jan 29, 2024 6:42 am 
Still drivable you just have to drive from each end

Schroder
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Jan 29, 2024 8:29 am 
Some more Lee Pickett photos along highway 2 in that period
Sultan
Sultan
Index
Index
Heybrook
Heybrook
Eagle Falls
Eagle Falls
Baring
Baring
Grotto
Grotto
Skykomish
Skykomish
Skykomish
Skykomish
Alpine
Alpine

Cyclopath, dave allyn, Anne Elk, Redwic, runup, RichP, Dick B
Dick B

Dick B
PostMon Jan 29, 2024 9:24 am 
Schroder wrote:
That road was resurrected in 1968 when the highway was rebuilt and widened. All traffic on Highway 2 detoured up that for most of the year. It was drivable until the floods in the 80's washed out the bridge.
Schroder. Your first reply aroused my curiosity. Could you tell us when the highway was first constructed over the pass? Then when the existing alignment was constructed from Scenic to the summit. Like I mentioned, I traveled the Tye River route when I was a kid, but don't remember when that section was abandoned for the new location. I was out of state in 1968 so was not around when the Tye route was again used for a temporary bypass. The only other Highway 2 improvements I can remember being done since I was a kid were new sections between Everett and Sultan. The alignment from Sultan to Scenic is pretty much as I remember it being back in the 40s and early 50s. Probably a lot of widening, straightening, structure improvements and such since then. My Mom was born in the Leavenworth area in 1910. She told me that when she was little, what few cars there were, were hauled over the pass by train. I would be curious when the photo was taken that started this thread. Those vehicles look pretty old. I would guess the auto by the building to be a late 20s model. Also, thanks for the additional Pickett photos. I've always loved traveling the Stevens Pass Highway over the years, Lots of history.

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Jan 29, 2024 11:22 am 
Dick B wrote:
Schroder. Your first reply aroused my curiosity. Could you tell us when the highway was first constructed over the pass? Then when the existing alignment was constructed from Scenic to the summit.
The Stevens Pass Highway was opened July 11, 1925, a year before that first photo at the pass was taken. I'm not sure when the Tunnel Creek route was built from Scenic but I would guess in the 1940's. The highway from Everett to Leavenworth was designated as State Road 15 in 1931.

Redwic
Dick B

Dick B
PostTue Jan 30, 2024 9:24 am 
Schroder. I assume the original i925 Stevens Pass highway passed through all the towns that were shown on the Pickett photos. If so, later highway reroutes must have bypassed Index and downtown Skykomish. I have never heard of Heybrook or Alpine. Were they also bypassed, still there or did they just disappear? My memory tells me that we took the original Tye River route just before the war. We were migrating from Whidbey to the Leavenworth area so my Dad could find work. We probably came back the same way when we moved back to the Island a few years later. I think all trips after that were via the existing Tunnel Creek route. Few trips, if any, were made during the war as gas was heavily rationed.

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Jan 30, 2024 9:46 am 
Heybrook was a couple of miles up the highway from Index and had a large sawmill. Alpine, also called Nippon, was along the tracks near Alpine Falls, between Skykomish and Scenic and also was a large sawmill. Nothing remains of Alpine but there are several houses and a coffee stand at Heybrook.

Redwic
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Feb 12, 2024 7:01 am 
Not to forget the town of Berlin located what is now Miller River on the Old Cascade Hwy near Sky

bk

bk
PostWed Feb 14, 2024 5:44 am 
The 1926 photo shows up in a few more places... 1 of 3) A "Seattle Now and Then" webpage: https://pauldorpat.com/2010/11/page/3/ ...in middle of the long page....search "stevens pass"... Excerpt:
2 of 3) UW Digital Collections: https://digitalcollections.lib.washington.edu/digital/collection/pickett/id/283/ ...includes link to more of Lee Pickett's stuff... 3 of 3) WikiMedia Commons: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Automobile_at_gas_station,_summit_of_Stevens_Pass,_1926_%28PICKETT_283%29.jpg ...with another Pickett-related link...

timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Feb 14, 2024 7:30 am