Forum Index > Trail Talk > anyone traversed the lightning creek high route recently?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
themountainwhispers

themountainwhispers
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 1:10 am 
hi everyone! each year my family of experienced backpackers circumnavigates a mountain in these parts, with increasing proportions offtrail. this coming summer we're looking at glacier peak, but rather than the indian creek slog, i'm looking at a traverse somewhere between the napeequa and the PCT. 'routes and rocks' describes a high route from boulder creek around clark mountain that can be cutoff from thunder basin to the lightning creek high route. anyone done part or all of this stretch? another option from satellite images seems to be to ascend the napeequa basin, crossing the newly glacier-free areas north of tenpeak, hooking over the saddle west of the hive, then crossing west high on the slope south of the glaciers. (we have some basic experience with glaciers and will carry some rope, but probably prefer not to rope up to cross potentially crevassed areas, this time.) any beta or references welcomed! thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 5:20 am 
up.gif

bgs8379

bgs8379
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 5:54 am 
Forest Service burned up th high route last summer. Black from Lightning to Clark.

themountainwhispers

themountainwhispers
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 1:05 pm 
wow, thanks for the heads-up, @bgs8379! when you say the forest service burned it, do you mean a prescribed burn? i'm trying to get a sense how heavy the burn is. looked at landsat from mid september, seemed like there was still a lot of green. maybe a burn mosaic? anyone else have any other input on the burn, how that might impact the choice of route (maybe better to go north of tenpeak??), etc... thanks all! ref: https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/eo-browser/?zoom=14&lat=48.04713&lng=-121.01621&themeId=DEFAULT-THEME&visualizationUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fservices.sentinel-hub.com%2Fogc%2Fwms%2Fbd86bcc0-f318-402b-a145-015f85b9427e&datasetId=S2L2A&fromTime=2023-09-14T00%3A00%3A00.000Z&toTime=2023-09-14T23%3A59%3A59.999Z&layerId=1_TRUE_COLOR&demSource3D=%22MAPZEN%22#search

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 1:34 pm 
The Forest Service did not burn anything up there; bgs8379 must just be a wiseacre. But that's all the input I have, sorry. Carry on.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
brewermd

brewermd
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 6:04 pm 
I know that Climber Kyle (https://climberkyle.com/?s=napeequa) has been in that area several times over the years. You could reach out to him (after reading his website of course) to see if he has info.

dave allyn

dave allyn
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 8:18 pm 
There was fire in the White River valley but I don't think it would impact the high route.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Jan 27, 2024 7:42 am 
There's a lot in this thread on last summer's fire https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8037717

Worthington

Worthington
PostSat Jan 27, 2024 8:58 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
The Forest Service did not burn anything up there; bgs8379 must just be a wiseacre. But that's all the input I have, sorry. Carry on.
Brad's the kind of common sense old-timer (no slight intended) that calls a spade a spade. Love his contributions and wish more folks with his experience and from his generation around here would contribute more. Just gotta read between the lines some times.

themountainwhispers

themountainwhispers
PostSun Jan 28, 2024 12:14 am 
thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone! spent some good time reading through kyle's adventures -- what a kindred spirit! sounds like he did a similar ascent up the napeequa basin behind tenpeak, as i envisioned. will definitely reach out. does sound as if the young moraines north of tenpeak are not the most pleasant terrain ... leads me to think i'd love to do the clark mtn/lightning creek high routes, if they're in ok shape! speaking of the fire, really appreciate the link to that thread on the airplane fire. it mentioned the fire jumped north of white river in the foam creek area, but then discussion petered out. anyone know how to find 2023 fire perimeter maps or overlays? the best i could find was google search cached images, which seem to indicate the fire was pretty low elevation everywhere north of the white river, except a bit overlapping the old 2008 burn. anyone have better maps? (when going to https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident-maps-gallery/wa0617-2023-airplane-lake-owf it says the incident is closed and doesn't show the perimeter anymore) besides the fire ... anyone climbed the clark/lightning high routes in, say, the last decade? thanks everyone!

brewermd

brewermd
PostSun Jan 28, 2024 6:26 am 
Caltopo has fire past and present (during the season) overlays.

themountainwhispers

themountainwhispers
PostMon Jan 29, 2024 12:24 am 
yeah, that's where i went first, but it seems not to have 2023 fires -- at least not airplane lake! see https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=48.02036,-121.02436&z=12&b=imagery&o=mbt&n=0&a=fire_recent%2Cmodis_mpg i'm guessing that maybe it takes time for the data to get assembled and added from the past year... but it makes for a lacuna in the web-record of recent fires! any other suggestions?

brewermd

brewermd
PostMon Jan 29, 2024 6:51 am 
You can request archival information here: https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/download/

themountainwhispers
themountainwhispers

themountainwhispers
PostMon Jan 29, 2024 10:43 pm 
thanks for the suggestion; wow, that was educational. learned to request, download, and import NASA shapefiles into google earth engine, to display 2023 fire data! for others who are curious, here's what i got. (this image is for all fire data in 2022-current. different sat datasets had similar data, this one seemed the most comprehensive without overlaying them all, which was quite busy.) pics are maps of the white river valley, harder to see points in the sat image. i think it's pretty clear the airplane lake fires were less intense and more of a mosaic when they spread north of the white river, and mostly stayed fairly low. that seem right to others? i'm leaning toward heading over there and giving the linked high routes a try! still would love to hear from anyone who has done them sometime more recently than the 60s! wink.gif

brewermd
timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Jan 30, 2024 7:31 am 
Bolt creek fire 2022 & Irving Peak fire 2022 is Caltopo but the newer Sears Cr 2022 is not. Airplane Lk hasn't shown up yet either, so its a process