Woodland Creature
PostSat Jan 27, 2024 6:57 pm 

soUthinkUcanCamp

graywolf, FiveNines, day_hike_mike, awilsondc, meck, Waterman, bk, Now I Fly
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
meck

meck
PostSun Jan 28, 2024 8:27 am 
Welcome back Critter! and yeah umbrellas are fantastic when they can be used. I've got a large golf umbrella that I bring and use pretty much anytime I will mostly be below treeline and the weather looks potentially wet. I like the photo with the umbrellas suspended from the hemlock.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*

graywolf
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jan 28, 2024 9:26 am 
Back in the day we used umbrellas in Nepal, they worked great in the monsoon. In the northwest they are pretty useless, we have a lot of wind especially in the mountains and the tie up one hand.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

RumiDude
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostSun Jan 28, 2024 11:59 am 
Good style. Looks like life's been good to you so far. Thanks for the stoke!

brewermd

brewermd
PostSun Jan 28, 2024 12:18 pm 
I love my gossemer gear sunbrella/umbrella, it is always with me. I stay drier (and therefore warmer) in the rain and keep cooler in the sun since I make my own shade! I have a hands free attachment for my pack so I can still use my poles. Being from the PNW I always run into so many umbrella haters, don't understand it.

Now I Fly, fourteen410, graywolf
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Jan 29, 2024 9:06 pm 
Yep, strapped one on my pack when the weather was questionable. Goat Lake and Dosewallips come to mind. Made all the difference between being "sorta wet" and soaked.

"There are yahoos out there. Itís why we canít have nice things." - Tom Mahood

graywolf
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Jan 29, 2024 10:22 pm 
+1 for the gossamer umbrella and pack attachment!

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Jan 29, 2024 10:57 pm 
You need an extension suit!! These days it's the best way to go HERES THE DEAL with an Extension Suit it sits about 6 inches off you so the rain washes away!! Does not hit you it just washes away!!!! Len Williams invented it about 10 years ago after experiencing ANGER with umbrellas on a hike with overhanging bushes circa 2012/2013.

zimmertr
Brucester

Brucester
PostTue Jan 30, 2024 7:16 am 
Jardine almost sold me on the idea decades ago. It just felt unnatural carrying it in the desert, so I sent it home. A sun hat, sunnies, spf40 and trekking poles instead! My initial feeling was "it's actually annoying." I only have two hands, one for each pole. IMO I tried selling mine on eBay but you know lowballers they want gold at a discount price with free shipping. It's not mylar but it's designed to be blown backwards so it doesn'r break. Despite their usefullness I've only met one person,"Barbara" on the old Mailbox route maybe 8 years ago. The things you talk about while gasping for air... I have it somewhere. it should be on desplay at Smithsonian "hiker evolution display?", Mountaineers, REI, Campmor or some store that'll be here forever and handed down for generations to come.

RumiDude
graywolf

graywolf
PostTue Jan 30, 2024 8:02 am 
brewermd wrote:
I love my gossemer gear sunbrella/umbrella, it is always with me. I stay drier (and therefore warmer) in the rain and keep cooler in the sun since I make my own shade! I have a hands free attachment for my pack so I can still use my poles. Being from the PNW I always run into so many umbrella haters, don't understand it.
My wife and I have GoLite umbrellas that we use when it's raining and not too windy. We also use them on hot, sunny days when there isn't a cooling breeze. I prefer an umbrella over rain gear when possible, especially if it's rainy and warm. I can hike in shorts and a short-sleeved shirt, get only marginally wet, and not sweat like hell inside my rain gear. There have been a few trips up the Hoh in the summer where a rain storm came through, and we were dry and comfortable while other hikers were either soaked from sweat in their rain gear, or soaked from the rain. I've also used an umbrella to protect the packs in camp by putting them back to back, then sliding the umbrella down between them through the haul loops. We typically use our rain gear only in camp, although we will put it on if the trail is real brushy and wet.

The only easy day was yesterday...

meck
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostWed Jan 31, 2024 8:31 am 
I'm big fan of umbrellas, especially when your goal is to hike up into a snowstorm at a higher elevation. Getting beyond the rainy first 1'000 feet of climb, then into the dry blizzard above (think Mailbox)! A favorite winter activity! A good way to test your systems (and grit)! Use them in the SW too! Anyone try these? https://www.thegoshelter.com/

graywolf
solohiker

solohiker
PostWed Jan 31, 2024 10:50 am 
Not an umbrella fan. Theyíre marginally effective in wind, which accompanies most rain. Theyíre totally ineffective in a heavy mist, which is PNW rain without wind. So wind/no wind = umbrella useless. They have multiple points that can poke the eyes out of the person next to you, or get snagged in brush. When in use, they require full use of one hand that Iíd usually rather use for something else. When not in use theyíre a pain to store, taking up space where Iíd rather store just about anything else. Not passing judgement on anyone that looks past all these and finds them useful. To each their own. I thought it was common knowledge that umbrellas identity anyone on Seattle streets as non-local. Born and bred Seattlites donít use umbrellas. Again, not passing judgement. Iím under no illusion that being born and bred in the PNW makes me or anyone else automatically superior to the rest of the world.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Jan 31, 2024 11:12 am 
I'm a big fan of umbrellas, not necessarily for my protection, but in order to be able to do photography from under them. Yes, they can't be used in windy conditions, but that's not the norm (I can use an umbrella at least > 50% of the time when it's raining). And when not in use, I use it as a trekking pole. Depending on the weather, I'll either bring a trekking pole - I only use one - or an umbrella.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani

graywolf, fourteen410
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostWed Jan 31, 2024 11:15 pm 
Mind is spinning! I'm thinking modified whippet with an umbrella attachment. Cliffed out? Mary Poppins away! Great for controlling speed on the glissade as well. Solar panel with underside lighting. Kevlar so you can make a wedge and ram through brush. Shiny bits for E signaling. Trigger in handle releases pepper spray from tip. Etc. The Swiss army knife of 'hiking sticks'.

Comma, Chief Joseph, RumiDude
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Feb 01, 2024 5:56 am 
Umbrellas are one of those polarizing topics, you either like them or not. I bought one as a sun shield for walking the Camino de Santiago. I have found it worse than useless for the backcountry. YMMV. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."