You got that right.

The only easy day was yesterday...
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Feb 01, 2024 1:39 pm 
On my next rainy hike Iím going to wear jeans and trail running sneakers, strap on an unmentionable, let my wolf-dog hybrid run around off leash, knock over any cairns I come across and replace them with new onesÖand carry an umbrella of course.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani

fffej50
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Feb 01, 2024 3:00 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
knock over any cairns I come across
Right on! Could you also dismantle every fire ring you come across? That would be awesome! Before and after photos would be nice for both cairns and fire rings. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Feb 01, 2024 7:52 pm 
I recall Critter previously posting about how awesome his dead bird kilobuck rain jacket and pants were. Even with the best gear that money can buy, it's good to try new things. I enjoy using ubrellas in non-windy conditions. They do an excellent job shedding rain and ventilate far better than any waterproof breathable garment. One aspect of umbrellas I really like is using them in sunny conditions -- I have an aluminized umbrella and it really cuts the heat when hiking in open country with it is sunny. Not so useful above timberline when the wind kicks up.

graywolf, Critter, meck
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Feb 01, 2024 7:57 pm 
I find polalrized umbrellas really help reduce glare.

Critter, RumiDude, Randito
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostThu Feb 01, 2024 9:58 pm 
We hikers can use black umbrellas even in the sun to cut down direct light and reflective glare. The first photo is how Kid Critter slept for naps during one of our several week long bikepacking trips. The second picture is to demonstrate the sun blocking capabilities of a black umbrella for baby Kid Critter. Neither one is a designated Sunbrella and I donít even know how much better a Sunbrella would work.

soUthinkUcanCamp

graywolf
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Feb 06, 2024 2:42 pm 
I'm going to hedge those who hate umbrellas never found the joy of a good light weight golf umbrella. I hate rain. Yes, I am a Western Wa native, but pffffttttt to that. I hate cold, clammy and soaked GTX jackets. I've hiked with an umbrella so many times. In the sun, in the rain. Sitting under one for a snack and not having the rain dumping on you for 10 minutes...is a luxury. Then your pack's insides stay dry. And since I am short, I can sit and the golf umbrella touches the ground. And in summer, you just strap it on your pack.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.

Waterman, graywolf
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Feb 06, 2024 6:40 pm 
solohiker wrote:
common knowledge that umbrellas identity anyone on Seattle streets as non-local. Born and bred Seattlites donít use umbrellas.
That attitude bugs me. I grew up in Portland with similar weather, and the non-snobby people I knew had no problem using an umbrella. It can be very useful on the trail or even while snowshoeing. Well, in the days before my knees forced me to use hiking poles. A lot of things are a hassle with poles, like swatting bugs.

Waterman, sarbar, graywolf
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Feb 06, 2024 8:21 pm 
I mean...I am totally cool with people not thinking I am from Seattle. I'm not. Never lived in Seattle properly. Doing OK up.gif Seattle might be the biggest denisty in the state, but it's barely a speck on our state.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Feb 06, 2024 9:56 pm 
I carry an umbrella almost daily during the fall/winter/spring months cause standing at a bus stop in the rain is the pits. Day hiking urban trail might be OK with an umbrella if you know it isn't also going to be windy. An umbrella works well for light rain with no wind on a wide open trail, everything else it is a PITA. A backpacking trip is totally different from day hiking. Navigating through brushy trails, across a washout, over/under/around blowdown, etc. an umbrella is just a really poor choice. On a multi-day backpacking trip, you are going to need a rain jacket and pants, so why take an umbrella? Even a relatively small umbrella will have to be strapped onto the side of a pack, becoming an opportunity to snag onto something. A larger umbrella is even more of a snag hazard. I wanted to like my umbrella but it became obvious that it just didn't work for me. If it works for you then I am happy for you. As my daddy used to say, "there's more than one way to skin a cat." Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Feb 06, 2024 10:04 pm 
I've hiked hundreds of miles on trails with umbrellas. And you've hiked with me as well. It's not that different really using one. Hoosierdaddy used one as well...and you hiked far too much with him.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Feb 06, 2024 10:20 pm 
I would use an umbrella instead of a sun hat because I run hot and a lot of heat escapes through ones scalp.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Feb 06, 2024 11:26 pm 
sarbar wrote:
Hoosierdaddy used one as well.
Well we all tried things at one time, but truly the hundreds of miles I hiked with Hoosierdaddy he used rain gear and not an umbrella. He gave up on it looooooong ago. And when he hiked the desert portions of the PCT he gave up on it as well due to the wind. Very few PCT hikers use an umbrella for rain protection because it just isn't practical for most people, especially if you use trekking poles. Most find it ends up being just dead weight. And like Hoosierdaddy, most find the wind makes an umbrella a PITA. Also every time you turn in regards to the sun when used as sun protection, or the wind with rain, the umbrella needs to be repositioned to maintain sun or rain shielding. If one is just going on an overnighter and the weather forecast has only a slight chance of light rain with warm temps, an umbrella may be a good option. But with the state of most trails, an umbrella gets in the way when clambering over deadfall and ends up getting you wet. Rumi

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Feb 07, 2024 8:41 am 
If you like hiking with one do so if not donít. End of discussion. Applies to hiking partners and any other sort of gear.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

graywolf
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Feb 07, 2024 10:28 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
End of discussion.
*biglifeontheinterwebsgrins* I don't think that is how social media works. The only way a person is going to know for sure if an umbrella works for them is to use one in some serious weather. But if you don't want to spend money on one to find out for yourself, you can always get one out of the hiker boxes along the PCT because umbrellas are one of the first things hikers divest themselves of. Rumi

peter707