Forum Index > Trail Talk > Snowcrest Range?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cathorse

cathorse
PostMon Jan 29, 2024 1:22 pm 
I am starting to dream up a trip to explore the Snowcrest Range in southwestern Montana, east of the town of Dillon. I have read about it in a couple of books, but find very little other information, including no Gaia tracks and the like. Has anyone visited this area? Recommendations of routes? Best times of the year to visit? Animals seen? TIA!!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
backpacker92out

backpacker92out
PostTue Jan 30, 2024 5:33 pm 
It can get pretty hot there. Mid-June on wards its good to go, easy ridge walking and can have amazing wild flower displays with great open sky for sunsets. There are grizzly bears there (a biologist got mauled a few years ago north of Red Rock Lakes NWR which is only ~14is miles away. So you would have to take care of cooking/food storage a lot better than the easy mode of munching on your food 10 feet from your tent like you can get away with in the cascades which I frequently see here. Be a bit more aware while hiking / make noise when walking in to wind near willow patches / don't listen to music and zone out. It would be lonely minus the occasional ORV. Very pretty area. The Gravelly mountains just east of them are VERY beautiful as well, there are usually 1-2 grizzly bear attacks a year just in that mountain range alone lol (usually on hunters though) sneaking around quietly isn't the best idea in grizzly country The bears in the Gravelly/Island Park area seem to be more cranky than other grizzly bears

cathorse

cathorse
PostThu Feb 01, 2024 8:58 am 
Thank you for this info! I had been aware that grizzlies, and other large mammals, are frequent. Definitely would be practicing Alaska style food management.

hunterofelke
Roland

hunterofelke
Roland
PostTue Feb 06, 2024 8:55 am 
I would suggest Blacktail Creek as your access drainage. The BLM trailhead has been updated recently. It is a non-motorized area, most people ride horses, but the trails are great for hiking. I was there last year during the long fourth of July weekend, lots of bugs, but still very green. Fishing in the creek near the trailhead is something I want to do next time. I could look into the water and see the fish. Yes, bears are thing.

cathorse

cathorse
PostTue Feb 06, 2024 9:52 pm 
Thanks for the details! I will look up about the Blacktail Creek area.