Forum Index > Gear Talk > Ear Muffs that I can hear well with
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostFri Feb 02, 2024 11:03 am 
Does anyone know of ear muffs that one can hear well with? Recently I was backcountry skiing in the woods and couldn't hear my partner yelling. Fortunately it wasn't serious. Partly terrain/trees, partly from my face mask covering my ears. I'm considering getting ear muffs but haven't yet out of fear of running into the same audio issues. Are there ear muffs that have vent openings for better hearing? Sure they would be less warm, but would keep most of the ear warm and in theory allow better hearing at the opening if placed well. When typing on Google and other sources 'ear muffs with vents' I keep seeing noise cancelling ear muffs! hockeygrin.gif When mentioning anything about sound such as enhancement, the results keep going back to noise canceling. Maybe ear muffs with openings don't exist? Hunters have headphones that cancel most frequencies but enhance human voice. A bit overkill. Ideally less head phone styled and more ear muff styled without needing fancy technology.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Feb 02, 2024 11:17 am 
IDK: I'm using this https://skimo.co/crazy-idea-headband Under my ski and cycling helmets in cold weather and I find it keeps my ears warm without getting as sweaty as a hat. Definitely cuts noise -- but it seems like it would be easy to cut a couple of holes centered over the eardrum and heat seal the edges.

Josh Journey
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostFri Feb 02, 2024 8:08 pm 
Randito wrote:
Definitely cuts noise -- but it seems like it would be easy to cut a couple of holes centered over the eardrum and heat seal the edges.
Thanks Randito for the suggestion and advise. Good idea regarding heat sealing edges for the new holes. up.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Feb 03, 2024 7:14 am 
I made a headband with insulated flaps to wear with my bike helmet. I hear well with them on and my ears stay toasty. You'll need fleece fabric--Walmart has it for cheap, some foam insulation which also can be found there in the fabric department, and a sewing machine. Make a pattern which kind of reminds me of South Park attire. Just draw a straight headband and then a U shaped flap big enough to cover your ears onto the headband. Cut two fleece pieces. Cut foam to a size that will fit the ear flaps. Sew foam onto wrong side of flap then join the two pieces together and sew the headband closed. I have very cold sensitive ears and this is perfect for me. I also wore it under my ski hat when walking on a windy, 2 degree day. My ears were about the only warm part of my body.
Pattern pieces. The orange is for the foam and is a separate piece.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Feb 03, 2024 2:17 pm 
Must get the Spouse one to wear to those not-warm April ballgames. Go Rainiers.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!