Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wildlife Photographer of The Year Candidates - 25 images -
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostWed Feb 07, 2024 9:11 pm 
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/gallery/2023/nov/29/wildlife-photographer-of-the-year-peoples-choice-2023 "A shortlist of 25 images has been selected for the Wildlife Photographer of the Year Peopleís Choice award. Vote for your favourite image online, with the winner announced on 7 February 2024. The 25 images are currently on display at the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition at the Natural History Museum, London"

Off trail rambler

fourteen410, Kascadia, day_hike_mike, Cyclopath  jaysway, GaliWalker
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Feb 08, 2024 9:56 am 
Some truly spectacular photos, but the Ethiopian Wolf shot stood out for me, even if, technically, there were others that were more impressive. wub.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani

Anne Elk
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostThu Feb 08, 2024 12:14 pm 
I'm seeing CNN reporting that says the polar bear image got the most votes. Time after time I find myself transported to another world, via Guardian wildlife photos.

Off trail rambler

GaliWalker
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Feb 08, 2024 1:00 pm 
My only issue with the polar bear photo winning, is that it seems like this sort of photo wins all the time. Donít get me wrong: Itís a stunning shot and would be a worthy winner. It also does a much better job of storytelling than most, e.g. the Ethiopian Wolf picture.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostThu Feb 08, 2024 1:45 pm 
Well said GaliWalker. Polar Bear shot came "preloaded" with storylines many of us already have in our consciousness. And, yes it is the "sort of photo that wins all the time." Ethiopian wolf had a steep slope to climb story wise, most of us probably have no prior knowledge of them. I'm remembering other polar bear pictures I posted a year back or so. They were from an abandoned outpost in the Soviet Arctic and seemed to set off a deep round of comments on this board.

Off trail rambler
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostFri Feb 09, 2024 12:32 pm 
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/gallery/2024/feb/09/the-week-in-wildlife-in-pictures-a-crafty-hippo-golf-course-monkeys-and-a-sunbathing-manatee More background on the polar bear picture: "ĎThis photograph has stirred strong emotions in many of those who have seen it. While climate change is the biggest challenge we face, I hope that this photograph also inspires hope; there is still time to fix the mess we have causedí" This quote accompanying same polar bear picture in "Week in wildlife" Guardian photo collection (third photo down) Other notable wildlife photos there as well

Off trail rambler