Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostThu Feb 22, 2024 7:18 pm 
jsb wrote:
My only addition to what others have added here is that the section of trail from Chikamin Ridge to Commonwealth Basin (in either direction) would absolutely suck in the dark. I guess if you've got a really solid headlamp, it wouldn't be too bad, but you're talking 5+ miles (over the 10 mile stretch) of talus hopping
I originally wanted to go from snoqualmie north. It looks like a lot of long ups coming south from Waptus Lake and thats not good to have nearing the end. And if I'm going to be rock hopping I want to get it out of the way early. How is the trail going north from Deception pass to Stevens? Looks like minimal switchbacks and maybe long steady rising trail. Maybe not I'm still early in my research.

none
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
solohiker

solohiker
PostThu Feb 22, 2024 10:53 pm 
After deception pass going north you drop to deception lakes then go up over Pieper pass, then you drop down to Glacier lake basin and then climb up to Trap pass (which is imo steeper than the switchbacks out of Waptus). Then after you round the ridge above Josephine you drop down to the backside of the Stevens pass ski area and have to climb out of that, then you finish by walking down the ski area. Itís an underwhelming finish. N to S is a much nicer finish. Iíd advocate for starting before sunrise to get past Stevens Pass ski area and the power lines in the dark. That saves sunlight for Chickamin ridge which is worth doing in daylight.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
jsb

jsb
PostFri Feb 23, 2024 11:21 pm 
Quote:
Iíd advocate for starting before sunrise to get past Stevens Pass ski area and the power lines in the dark. That saves sunlight for Chikamin Ridge which is worth doing in daylight.
+1. If I was planning on doing this single day push, I would go southbound and do the first few hours in the dark. Not sure how fast you're planning on hiking / trailrunning... but if you can make it southbound to Kendall Peak by dark, that would be a perfect day.

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostSat Feb 24, 2024 4:19 am 
jsb wrote:
Quote:
Iíd advocate for starting before sunrise to get past Stevens Pass ski area and the power lines in the dark. That saves sunlight for Chikamin Ridge which is worth doing in daylight.
+1. If I was planning on doing this single day push, I would go southbound and do the first few hours in the dark. Not sure how fast you're planning on hiking / trailrunning... but if you can make it southbound to Kendall Peak by dark, that would be a perfect day.
I plan on starting around 10am so I am not too tired as I am hiking in the dark. If I started from snoqualmie, that would put me at waptus lake as it was getting dark. I would probably be hiking in the dark until somewhere around trap lake. Haven't done the math on the other direction. It will probably be a 25-30hr hike if i don't stop. I would rather have open trees and rolling hills for the last 15 miles than rocks. I'd be able to see the ridge during the day and without being totally spent doing like this.

none

jsb
solohiker

solohiker
PostSat Feb 24, 2024 11:04 am 
If youíre starting at 10am you may as well see the pretty part while youíre fresh instead of just longing for it to be over, which makes S to N a better choice. The trek through both sides of Stevens Ski area is uninspiring so it matters little if youíre too tired to care, while Kendall Mt to Spectacle Point (northbound) is beautiful, even without taking any side trips. Do take 2 minutes to step a few feet off the trail at Spectacle Point though, it will be your only view of Spectacle Lake. Given that youíre looking at 24-ish hours, the dark section in the middle will probably cover approximately the same area in either direction. I donít really get the point in hiking from Waptus to Trap pass in the dark, especially if youíve never seen the area in the daylight before, but thatís just me. There are people that love hiking after dark- itís a different experience. Trap pass is probably pretty at sunrise. Waptus to Trap isnít in itself that interesting on the PCT. There are a lot of outstanding side trips but they are lengthy and not something youíd add on to a single day push. Bottom line, itís not a bad section to do in the dark. The one part that could cause trouble is crossing Hyas creek. Thereís no bridge, at times it can be running swiftly, the rocks are large and loose, and the terrain is sloped rather than flat. In the dark it could be hard to pick the safest path to cross. Several have commented on rocks along Chikamin ridge, but be aware that coming down Pieper Pass (going north) is also quite rocky, as is the north side of Trap. You arenít going to avoid rocks in your pre-dawn/early dawn hours either direction, and going down is more accident prone than up. Have fun.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone

Jordan
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Feb 24, 2024 11:48 am 
Jordan wrote:
I'll be there in mid August so the creeks should be low. Which one should I be worried about?
The creek below Cathedral Rock can be tricky

Randito, Jordan
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostSat Feb 24, 2024 12:45 pm 
solohiker wrote:
donít really get the point in hiking from Waptus to Trap pass in the dark, especially if youíve never seen the area in the daylight before, but thatís just me.
I hear ya and I've been there too. The last couple years I've been into seeing what my body can do, getting in better shape and pushing harder every year. I still enjoy the scenery as I pass, I'm just enjoying the lesser explored aspects of hiking these days. The sweat and pain side maybe. The unknown of hiking through the night. That will be a new experience for me. Brings back the excitement, that weird feeling I'd get as a new hiker on a new trail. What will my body feel like as the sun is coming up and I'm on my 20th hour? That's going to feel crazy. That's what it's about right there.

none

Comma, Cyclopath
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Feb 24, 2024 10:38 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Jordan wrote:
I'll be there in mid August so the creeks should be low. Which one should I be worried about?
The creek below Cathedral Rock can be tricky
Also the creek that comes down between Lynch Peak and Mt Daniel. But in August it should not be an issue. On my old map it is marked at about mile 2441, but who knows what the miles is now. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Jordan
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Feb 24, 2024 11:38 pm 
The creeks by Cathedral Pass are usually signed if large. There is a bypass from the pass that traverses south to what used to be Squaw Lake down to the Hyas lake TH past Hyas Lake to Deception Pass where it meets the trail from Cathederal Pass. The bypass adds some miles and a elevation loss and gain but is safer in high water which should be gone by August.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Jordan
dave allyn

dave allyn
PostSun Feb 25, 2024 7:04 am 
FKT website gives fastest known time Stevens to Snoqualmie as 12h,53m,9s.

Jordan
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostSun Feb 25, 2024 5:47 pm 
dave allyn wrote:
FKT website gives fastest known time Stevens to Snoqualmie as 12h,53m,9s.
Dang that's fast. What's fkt?

none
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Feb 25, 2024 5:59 pm 
FKT = fastest known time. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Jordan
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostSun Feb 25, 2024 6:43 pm 
Couple of suggestions: - PCT until the Katwalk is easy, but it gets surprisingly narrow after that while traversing the Gold Creek drainage. It's not a pleasant section. I have done it in the dark, but was happy when it finally got light. - Make absolutely sure there is no snow left in gullies on that section (and probably other spots too). Otherwise you really need an ice axe and maybe even crampons, or you're just gambling. - For headlight, consider a Silva. It has a separate battery that you can put in your pocket so you do not have the weight on your head, which can be quite unpleasant. I have the 1200 lumen with a small and a large battery. It can go for many hours. It's used more by trail runners.

Cyclopath
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Feb 25, 2024 7:03 pm 
Jordan wrote:
I'm just enjoying the lesser explored aspects of hiking these days. The sweat and pain side maybe. The unknown of hiking through the night. That will be a new experience for me. Brings back the excitement, that weird feeling I'd get as a new hiker on a new trail. What will my body feel like as the sun is coming up and I'm on my 20th hour?
I did the Enchantments with a friend as a "day hike" once - meaning we took 24 hours. Stopped a lot for photography. Enjoyed the golden hour light from the last of the lower basin, spent twilight going through the boulders, hit the woods at dark. We stopped at midnight for a snack at the lake and saw a shooting star. Encountered a night goat, but it let us pass. We found our way through the dark aided only by our meager wits and technology. Watched the horizon start to glow before the sun came up. That was the slowest hike ever, but so many experiences I still treasure years later. Through the night makes everything different.

Jordan, SpookyKite89, Comma
DadFly

DadFly
PostMon Feb 26, 2024 10:56 am 
August will likely be exceptionally dry this year. https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/data/water/wcs/gis/maps/wa_swepctnormal_update.pdf So planning where to traverse snow or creeks will probably be the least of your problems. Getting enough water for the long dry stretches will be more important imo. Even this should not be a big problem. Just look at the map and don't count on anything small having water. The way from Ridge lake to Delate creek "could" be dry. That is 10.4 miles. I have done the Snoqualmie Pass to Spectacle lake trip a few times. Only once did I find all the ponds and rivulets bone dry. I wasn't concerned about speed so I was able to find water a bit off the trail. But I suspect you will not want to have to search for it. There are a few six mile stretches further on that could be dry too.

"May you live in interesting times"