Forum Index > Trail Talk > Pacific Crest Section J inquiry
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SlingShot
Slingshot

SlingShot
Slingshot
PostMon Feb 26, 2024 11:26 am 
Sec J is great. I have hikes it 3 times. Twice NoBo, once SoBo. There are a couple small sections each year that require some maintenance and can slow your pace a bit but generally its still better than many of our public roads.
Jordan wrote:
Sounds like I'll be going North to South. I'll be there in mid August so the creeks should be low. Which one should I be worried about?
In mid Aug, the creeks should not be an issue. The Creek (Cathedral Creek) at mile 2441 is mostly boulders and large rocks. Your shoes will probably get wet but that's about it. My vote for running this section would also be SoBo. Much less traffic headed the same direction. The climbs are a bit steeper, and the descents more gradual but the sun in your face vs on your back. Most people will be headed NoBo. Mid Aug is also when the thru hikers start arriving. Here are a few images to help with your decision making.
http://pctplanner.com/v.php?g=pX2bCxqmVnJk

Take only photo's. Leave only foot prints. Waste only time. John Muir http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogntallgrass/ https://www.facebook.com/marc.mallang

Jordan
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostMon Feb 26, 2024 11:32 am 
DadFly wrote:
August will likely be exceptionally dry this year. https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/data/water/wcs/gis/maps/wa_swepctnormal_update.pdf So planning where to traverse snow or creeks will probably be the least of your problems. Getting enough water for the long dry stretches will be more important imo. Even this should not be a big problem. Just look at the map and don't count on anything small having water. The way from Ridge lake to Delate creek "could" be dry. That is 10.4 miles. I have done the Snoqualmie Pass to Spectacle lake trip a few times. Only once did I find all the ponds and rivulets bone dry. I wasn't concerned about speed so I was able to find water a bit off the trail. But I suspect you will not want to have to search for it. There are a few six mile stretches further on that could be dry too.
I think that will be more of a concern as well thanks for the reminder.

none
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostMon Feb 26, 2024 11:37 am 
SlingShot wrote:
Sec J is great. I have hikes it 3 times. Twice NoBo, once SoBo. There are a couple small sections each year that require some maintenance and can slow your pace a bit but generally its still better than many of our public roads.
Jordan wrote:
Sounds like I'll be going North to South. I'll be there in mid August so the creeks should be low. Which one should I be worried about?
In mid Aug, the creeks should not be an issue. The Creek (Cathedral Creek) at mile 2441 is mostly boulders and large rocks. Your shoes will probably get wet but that's about it. My vote for running this section would also be SoBo. Much less traffic headed the same direction. The climbs are a bit steeper, and the descents more gradual but the sun in your face vs on your back. Most people will be headed NoBo. Mid Aug is also when the thru hikers start arriving. Here are a few images to help with your decision making.
http://pctplanner.com/v.php?g=pX2bCxqmVnJk
Thanks, I will look more into this. I feel I can pass other hikers faster while traveling the same direction and its fun sneaking up on people. Having to wait for a long line of people to pass in the opposite direction is usually what slows me down most often.

none
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Feb 26, 2024 2:55 pm 
Jordan wrote:
Thanks, I will look more into this. I feel I can pass other hikers faster while traveling the same direction and its fun sneaking up on people. Having to wait for a long line of people to pass in the opposite direction is usually what slows me down most often.
So, first off...you won't be passing long lines of people in most sections of section J. Maybe long lines of mosquitoes. And sneaking up on people is so freaking rude, especially to women. It's how you might one day find yourself "falling" off a cliff side. Just saying. You will go miles between seeing people. There's only 1 jump in area in the entire section, middish through, and that still requires miles of hiking into the PCT. Anyhow, coming down the last 7.5 miles of the trail into Snoqualmie Pass is well-graded - but it is a ton of long, boring switchbacks with roots. If you are really tired, this may not be your wisest choices. But honestly....there are sections of section J one should savor. And some of it is a well-laid trail full of ball bearing like gravel and rocks....not one I'd do at night myself.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.

Navy salad
solohiker

solohiker
PostMon Feb 26, 2024 3:10 pm 
mbravenboer wrote:
- PCT until the Katwalk is easy, but it gets surprisingly narrow after that while traversing the Gold Creek drainage. It's not a pleasant section. I have done it in the dark, but was happy when it finally got light. - Make absolutely sure there is no snow left in gullies on that section (and probably other spots too). Otherwise you really need an ice axe and maybe even crampons, or you're just gambling.
He's planning on going S to N, starting at 10am so he'll be hitting both Gold Creek drainage and the Katwalk in broad daylight. His calculation have his dark period between Waptus and Trap pass (northbound). He's planning on August, so it's highly unlikely there will be snow in those gullies. He's probably figured out both of these things, but sometimes info gets lost in the noise.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone

Jordan
solohiker

solohiker
PostMon Feb 26, 2024 3:14 pm 
SlingShot wrote:
The Creek (Cathedral Creek) at mile 2441 is mostly boulders and large rocks.
I always thought that was Hyas Creek, and Cathedral Creek was the one farther south right under Cathedral rock, just north of Cathedral Pass. I guess I stand corrected!

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Feb 26, 2024 3:15 pm 
I just want to add that the long, boring switchbacks can be avoided by going off trail and following the old trail you can cut off a bit of distance. I am sure someone else knows for sure but I recall heading off trail about 2 miles? in and it cuts off maybe a mile? One thing I do recall is that the off trail slopes below the actual trail were loaded with berries when I went.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
solohiker

solohiker
PostMon Feb 26, 2024 3:30 pm 
sarbar wrote:
There's only 1 jump in area in the entire section, middish through, and that still requires miles of hiking into the PCT. Anyhow, coming down the last 7.5 miles of the trail into Snoqualmie Pass is well-graded - but it is a ton of long, boring switchbacks with roots. If you are really tired, this may not be your wisest choices.
I'm guessing the one "jump in" area you're referring to is either Hyas or Waptus Lake (which is already two separate jump in locations), although there are several more. There's the Deep Lake/Cathedral pass trail (same parking lot as Hyas lake, but comes to PCT at different location), Pete Lake to Delate Creek, Mineral Creek to Park Lakes, Tunnel Creek to Mig lake, Suprise Lake to Glacier Lake, and Deception Creek among the larger trails, then there are several "less official" points of entry. It is true that his area of darkness (Waptus to Trap) is pretty much devoid of other entries (except Deception Creek, Cathedral Pass, and Hyas, he's probably looking at almost dawn by Glacier Lake) not that people jumping in vs through hikers is big game changer on number of hikers in that area. Since he's going northbound the long boring switchbacks into Snoqualmie pass won't be his finish - instead he'll have the trek through Stevens ski area. Something great to reserve for being too tired to care!

solohiker

solohiker
PostMon Feb 26, 2024 3:39 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I just want to add that the long, boring switchbacks can be avoided by going off trail and following the old trail you can cut off a bit of distance. I am sure someone else knows for sure but I recall heading off trail about 2 miles? in and it cuts off maybe a mile? One thing I do recall is that the off trail slopes below the actual trail were loaded with berries when I went.
It cuts off a little over a mile but he's starting at Snoqualmie not finishing. If he want's to take the cut off at the beginning it's an unmarked left turn just after the parking lot.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Feb 26, 2024 4:29 pm 
Thatís the trail to Commonwealth Basin the upper connection to the PCT can be tricky, if you start traversing the side of a red mountain you missed the turn.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
solohiker

solohiker
PostMon Feb 26, 2024 4:40 pm 
Yes, and if youíre unfamiliar with the area the second creek crossing can be a little confusing. I think at the beginning of a 70+ mile non-stop trip maybe taking an unmaintained shortcut at the beginning isnít the best idea. Whatís one mile anyway? That said, Iíve done the regular trail exactly once, the short cut more times than I can count. One mile (two counting RT) is a much larger percentage of an 8-10 mile day hike.

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostMon Feb 26, 2024 4:51 pm 
sarbar wrote:
So, first off...you won't be passing long lines of people in most sections of section J. Maybe long lines of mosquitoes. And sneaking up on people is so freaking rude, especially to women. It's how you might one day find yourself "falling" off a cliff side. Just saying. You will go miles between seeing people. There's only 1 jump in area in the entire section, middish through, and that still requires miles of hiking into the PCT. Anyhow, coming down the last 7.5 miles of the trail into Snoqualmie Pass is well-graded - but it is a ton of long, boring switchbacks with roots. If you are really tired, this may not be your wisest choices. But honestly....there are sections of section J one should savor. And some of it is a well-laid trail full of ball bearing like gravel and rocks....not one I'd do at night myself.
Falling off a cliff meaning they would physically woman handle me and wrestle my 230# body over a cliff, even if one is not near? More than likely not by any women on the trail. Sneaking up on people meaning coming up behind them faster than they are going, usually have to click my hiking pole on a rock to alert them but I'd still be a good 10 yards behind them. I don't go boo in their ear. Take a deep breath, count to ten.

none

Chief Joseph
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostMon Feb 26, 2024 4:55 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
thanks for the info. I will be traveling main trail only so that there is no asterisk sign next to my time.

none

solohiker
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Feb 26, 2024 9:39 pm 
I would not anticipate too many through hikers mid August on Section J. There will be some, but the main group will not arrive until late August and then into September. I once met Scott Williamson as I was ending Section J SoBo. It was Mid July and Scott was going north. We stood and chatted for about five minutes. I met him another time on the PCT, but a different section. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Jordan
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostMon Feb 26, 2024 10:03 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
I would not anticipate too many through hikers mid August on Section J. There will be some, but the main group will not arrive until late August and then into September. I once met Scott Williamson as I was ending Section J SoBo. It was Mid July and Scott was going north. We stood and chatted for about five minutes. I met him another time on the PCT, but a different section. Rumi
I've never met anyone famous on the trail before, well maybe Josh and his gang. Do they count?

none

Chief Joseph